Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159628 - 01/04/12 08:02 PM Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Can't believe it. January 4th and I have already seen my first rattlesnake. I saw a 1.5 foot Southern Pacific this morning at 8am. It was basking in the sun mid trial on a ridge. I gotta admit that it felt snakey this morning but this is early in the season. In the 80's and 90's it was early March around here. Over the past 5 years it's been February. Now January? I wouldn't be so passionate about it except I get out nearly every day to exercise me and the dog. I don't know what it is like in your neck of the woods, but I'm thinking rattlesnake avoidance training for the dog already.

Sheesh! Even the ground felt somewhat warm this morning. Global warming? Might be an anomaly as I saw NO snake tracks on trail. And yes, I pay attention to snake tracks. One time I saw tracks that looked like 2 snakes had done the tango for about 30 min. Could have been a mating thing...or a king snake getting a rattlesnake. In May, June, and July I see all sorts of snake tracks. The reds (rattlesnake) are the easiest to spot. Very "curly" where they reach forward with their heads and grab a piece of earth and pull themselves forward. Racers just go straight and leave a 1" line on the path. The Reds are the fattest and can get over 3" in width. Anybody else see any difference in patterns lately?

#159630 - 01/04/12 08:14 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: skcreidc]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
The snakes are still hibernating here in SE AZ. We don't normally start seeing them until about the end of March though a warm spring can have them out earlier.

I highly recommend giving any outdoor dog rattlesnake aversion training. My last, late, Malamute and my present Golden Retriever were both snake trained and both avoided/avoid rattlers like they were the plague. The alternative is a potential vet bill of about $3500 for antivenin treatments. At least that is what it cost my neighbor when his Rottweiler was bitten.

#159632 - 01/04/12 09:09 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: skcreidc]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
We have been experiencing superb weather the last couple of weeks. I have always said that we get our very best weather in the winter during the intervals between storms. This episode is unusually long. I guess snakes are the negative side of this particular coin.

#159636 - 01/04/12 10:21 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Our snakes are well hunkered down right now. I didn't see a snake, or a tick, or hardly even a bug last week when I was out.

I did see a lot of coyote scat though. I don't know where they find the persimmons, they must all be under the leaves I guess, but they're eating them still and the seeds come out cleaned and fertilized and ready for sprouting in the Spring.

"You want to go where?"

#159652 - 01/05/12 09:27 AM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: billstephenson]
skcreidc Offline

I honestly don't have any problems with rattlesnakes myself. Not real fond of being surprised by them so it keeps me on my toes. The dog has been through rattlesnake training. However, as we see about 10 a year minimum, I can tell by her response that unless they are buzzing she is not really worried about them. Time for a refresher class. Lucky she is really good with "leave it". But I have to pay attention all the time.

Pika, it's about $700 a vial for anitvenom in San Diego. The $3500 total is about right per bite for dogs including monitoring and blood work.

#159653 - 01/05/12 09:29 AM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: billstephenson]
skcreidc Offline

Bill, you have wild persimmons? or are they naturalized or in someones yard.

#159655 - 01/05/12 09:35 AM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: skcreidc]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
What, no pictures? frown

#159659 - 01/05/12 10:17 AM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: skcreidc]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Snakes are a fact of life here (texas) but I like snakes, so it's no big deal.
Quote:
Anybody else see any difference in patterns lately?

It's been in the 60-70's here lately which means some very sleepy and sluggish snakes might get fooled and wander out to catch some sun. That's not good because we get morning frost before it warms up. Haven't seen anything lately though.

Was your rattler perky or sluggish? Usually this time of year they are slow and confused.

#159664 - 01/05/12 11:23 AM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By skcreidc
Bill, you have wild persimmons? or are they naturalized or in someones yard.

They are wild, and native to the area. We have a few trees on our property and I like them, but they will pucker you up if you eat them before a good frost.

Locals split the seeds to predict winter. I don't know what they found this year and critters ate all mine before I even saw them. There is a dark spot inside the seed you can see when the seed is split. It will look like a spoon (snowy winter), a fork (mild winter), or a knife (icy and cold).

I'm still trying to find a PawPaw tree that has fruit I can taste. They're here too, but I've never seen fruit on one that lasted until it was ripe. Again, critters, like raccoons, eat them as soon as they're ready. I planted a PawPaw in my front yard about 5 years ago. They grow really slow, but maybe I'll get a chance to taste them one of these days.

"You want to go where?"

#159668 - 01/05/12 12:14 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: billstephenson]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Saw a copperhead on the trail a few weeks ago, no rattlesnakes though. Apparently we have Carolina Pigmy rattlers here in north GA, but I've yet to ever see one.

#159669 - 01/05/12 12:53 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: skcreidc]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
We set the record high temp for the date yesterday, and had the fourth driest December on record with no rain in sight the next two weeks. If the current La Nina pattern doesn't change it will end up a very dry year across the state, a very early hiking season in the Sierra and a wicked bad fire season.

The snowshoes are gathering dust and yeah, I suspect the snakes are all out doing their snakey thing here as well.

Cheers,

#159773 - 01/06/12 05:36 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: Rick_D]
bermuda ern Offline

Loc: Maryland
Snakes out here in MD in December and today! First time I have ever seen a snake in January in MD.

#159778 - 01/06/12 07:09 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: bermuda ern]
PappyBanjo Offline

It must be due to how warm its been here in Maryland. We didn't have many lows below freezing until after xmas. Normally at this time of year they'd be torpid. Some species, like Timber Rattlers hibernate in "viper pits"--sometimes with dozens of snakes together.

#159819 - 01/07/12 11:01 AM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: PappyBanjo]
bermuda ern Offline

I know I study them and actively look for them. Field herping is what we call it. It combines much hiking, scouting, and mapping with finding reptiles and amphibians. It's a blast if you are into biology, ecology, etc, even geology.

Check out my MD recap from this season. maryland herps

#159824 - 01/07/12 11:56 AM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: bermuda ern]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
How warm is it? Took this photo at about 5500 feet in Yosemite on December 29th. These flowers are supposed to be under about 4 feet of snow right now...

Not good. Not good at all.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#159835 - 01/07/12 03:33 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: balzaccom]
bermuda ern Offline

High 60's

#159979 - 01/09/12 06:36 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: bermuda ern]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
We must be getting ya'lls cold weather about -27F this morning. Had two weeks off for the winter break (university) and skiied once (I'm a wimp -20F is my cut off.) On top of that we got over 6 inches of snow (7 or 8 prob. - but didn't measure.) Too bad I don't live in Cordova or Valdez (I love snow) - they got seriously hit! even for them. Nome is having a bad year - they got that weird snow "hurricane" and now -30F and wind... shiver.

#159980 - 01/09/12 07:06 PM Re: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? [Re: Heather-ak]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Ugh. I couldn't handle it.

You actually are getting "our" weather, as persistant high pressure has been diverting all the storms far away from their usual wintertime targets since sometime in November. It's now mid-January and the forecast shows no relief whatsoever. Rain. Please. Nao?

Just read that 2011 was Texas' driest and second hottest year on record.

Originally Posted By Heather-ak
We must be getting ya'lls cold weather about -27F this morning. Had two weeks off for the winter break (university) and skiied once (I'm a wimp -20F is my cut off.) On top of that we got over 6 inches of snow (7 or 8 prob. - but didn't measure.) Too bad I don't live in Cordova or Valdez (I love snow) - they got seriously hit! even for them. Nome is having a bad year - they got that weird snow "hurricane" and now -30F and wind... shiver.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum