Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159380 - 12/31/11 01:04 AM 2,000 mile shoes (for $25)
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I've been playing with a pair of Bear Paw shoes I got at Big 5 on sale for $25. I think I'll be able to stretch them to 2,000 miles. So far, I have 408 miles on them. (Measured on trails of a known distance for 150 miles and GPS for the rest.)

For the first 400 miles, I didn't do much to them as I figure I'd end up throwing them away soon. And I'd already bought another pair of shoes and 2 pairs of boots. Now they have become an experiment in care. Over the past 3 or 4 days, I've restored them.

First a run through the washing machine with no soap. Soap isn't good for leather. I put them in with a full load of other old clothes. That way the shoes don't clunk around the washer.

I let them air dry for a couple of days away from heat.

Then I put Shoe Goo on the worn spots on the soles. As I mentioned in another tip, using an ice cube to spread it works real well. The tips of the toes were coming loose a bit, so I fixed those with Shoe Goo. Using ice makes the Shoo Goo run into the seam and creates a real strong bond. To make a neat patch, mask with tape and pull it off right after spreading glue.

The scuff pads on the front were coming loose a bit, but the threads were just stretched and not broken. So I made Shoe Goo patches fix those.

Then I polished the shoes using neutral Kiwi polish. Paying special attention to rub polish into the threads to keep them strong. Still, I wasn't satisfied with the restoration of the leather.

A friend recommended Lexol conditioner which is in the tack section of Big R (or at Amazon.) $15 for a quart which goes a LONG way. This worked GREAT to restore the leather. Now it's supple and shiny. Just like new.

Inside, I used a thin layer of Shoe Goo for worn spots and small holes. Gorilla tape for bigger holes.

I'm guessing if I keep up with the repairs, I can stretch these shoes to 2,000 miles.

It's too much effort for a thru hike. But for training shoes, it's worth it.

#159385 - 12/31/11 02:42 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Gershon]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I imagine it depends on the nature of the trail tread you're walking on; I can see getting 2K on a pair of shoes, but generally with trail runners even the soles are wearing down to some degree after a few hundred. Depending on the shoe, what often happens to me is that parts of the sole start breaking off --- in a way that shoe goo can't fix --- and the concern can start to be whether larger chunks will break away.

I think the question is whether you really *want* to get that many miles out of a pair of shoes. I've known people to walk a thousand and more miles in a single pair, but more typically even folks I've known on low budgets manage to scrape together enough $$ to replace shoes before the thousand mile mark.

For me personally, after having had foot surgery after one long trip I just always plan to replace shoes after 500 - 600 miles. Certainly you can mitigate the cushioning issue, however, if you replace the insoles along the way.

What you're doing is cool, fun, and of course thrifty so long as no foot injuries result and you have confidence that the shoes won't blow out on you in the middle of nowhere. Best of luck with it.

#159387 - 12/31/11 03:14 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Gershon]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
The interior structure of shoes break down over time, not just their exteriors. You can't fix that without tearing the shoes apart and rebuilding them from the inside. The reason this is worth noting is that, as the whole structure deteriorates it can cause your gait to change in compensation, throwing your spine out of alignment and causing nasty physical problems. A simple analogy would be what can happen to a pitcher in basball whose mechanics are thrown off by a small injury.

New shoes may cost some money, but there comes a time when the cost of keeping old, broken down shoes is more expensive than throwing them away and starting new. If you develop odd pains in your hips, back, legs, knees or ankles, suspect your shoes.

#159389 - 12/31/11 04:39 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Personally, I'm just thinking about what they'll smell like after 2,000 miles... smile

#159390 - 12/31/11 04:45 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: aimless]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
The interior structure of shoes break down over time, not just their exteriors. You can't fix that without tearing the shoes apart and rebuilding them from the inside. The reason this is worth noting is that, as the whole structure deteriorates it can cause your gait to change in compensation, throwing your spine out of alignment and causing nasty physical problems. A simple analogy would be what can happen to a pitcher in basball whose mechanics are thrown off by a small injury.

New shoes may cost some money, but there comes a time when the cost of keeping old, broken down shoes is more expensive than throwing them away and starting new. If you develop odd pains in your hips, back, legs, knees or ankles, suspect your shoes.

+1.

Had it happen. Most comfortable shoes in the world started to tear up my feet and throw me off. The holes and tears on the outside of the shoe were cosmetic, the last and midsole were shot.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#159394 - 12/31/11 08:17 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: lori]
Gershon Offline

Glenn, they will smell like roses. smile

Seriously, frequent washing will take care of the smell.

Not sure why there should be so much concern about training shoes. They aren't going to break down 10 miles from a trailhead because they won't be there.

Anyway, today I went out for a few miles with them. After the treatment with Lexol they felt like a suede glove on my feet. I've never had a shoe feel so comfortable. It's just a fun project to see what happens and maybe learn some things about preventative maintenance.

I treated my newer Keens with Lexol and they feel a lot better, too.

#159395 - 12/31/11 10:10 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sounds like a fun project - keep us posted on your progress. Have a Happy New Year!

#159453 - 01/02/12 06:51 AM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

Lori,

In looking at old shoes, it seems the insides don't break down so much as wear out. If caught early, wear points can be covered with a patch made from some tough material that won't cause blisters and some Shoe Goo for adhesive.

I have some Keen shoes which after 72 miles are starting to show some signs of wear inside. I've covered those with patches. I'll see how it works out. I don't notice the patches while walking.

This may all become an economic necessity. I read that Chinese products will be going up a lot due to inflation in China and wages going up. I also heard sales of outdoor gear were way up last year. Price increases will likely follow.

#159463 - 01/02/12 11:36 AM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Gershon]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I think everyone has very different feet, and what works for the goose won't necessarily work for the gander. Or the ibex.

I seem to be able to wear just about any old hiking shoes or boots, and they work fine. My only issues are:

1. I don't like feeling too many pointy rocks on the bottoms of my feet.

2. I don't like heavy shoes.

3. I don't like my toes being jammed into mash as I hike downhill.

Now there's a set of compromises to drive someone crazy.

But my wife has a lot of trouble with hiking shoes---she's tried lots of different things, and is still searching for perfection.

On thing she notices about her work out shoes (to bring this post back to the topic at hand!) is that the STRUCTURE of the shoes begins to break down over time. Shoes look great, but no longer provide the arch support and cushioning that she needs for a workout.

And I don't think any amount of tape, polish or wax would change that.

I am sure that it is also true of some hiking shoes.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#159468 - 01/02/12 12:42 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Gershon]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Chinese products will be going up a lot due to inflation in China

This may prove to be correct over the next 3 to 5 years.

For good or ill, I have some traits of a hoarder when it comes to things I am convinced I will need in the future. Only last week I found my trail-runner of choice on sale at an online discounter for $45 a pair, including shipping. I bought two pair. That should hold me for a while.

#159469 - 01/02/12 12:43 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: balzaccom]
Gershon Offline

Balzaccom,

It's just an experiment. If the midsole starts to break down and causing my foot to roll, then the experiment is over.

Personally, I've become a convert to boots. My desert combat boots are very comfortable and feel like a pair of slippers, except they give perfect support. My criteria that makes future purchases of hiking shoes impossible is that I will no longer buy anything not made in the United States. The only pair I could find made in the U.S. is Hershey which is $295 plus $165 or so for a last for the first pair.

Edited by Gershon (01/02/12 12:44 PM)

#159471 - 01/02/12 01:18 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Gershon]
lori Offline

I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the problem you're going to face when that boot really starts to lose structural integrity in the sole. I've replaced the insoles on shoes that have started to self destruct and had foot and leg pain. New shoes that fit were the only remedy. It's not something you can patch.

I'm sure your feet will tell you when it starts to happen.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#159474 - 01/02/12 01:46 PM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: lori]
Gershon Offline

Lori,

It's as if you used styrofoam for the midsole. When it starts to break down, it gets denser where you need support and it will amplify any imbalance in forces causing a rolling motion.

It's not a worry. I won't be wearing these for any hikes too far from a trailhead.

#159940 - 01/09/12 12:57 AM Re: 2,000 mile shoes (for $25) [Re: Gershon]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I'm sure my Tevas have well over 2k probably more like 4+ still ware them everyday. price paid $25

Edited by Samoset (01/09/12 12:58 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum