Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159477 - 01/02/12 03:55 PM The Trip it Deserves
TreeFuzz Offline

I am a college student with a growing interest in the outdoors - mostly bushcraft and hyperlight travel - but no experience. I am going abroad to do a homestay in a village and some light trail work this month and my parents got me a beautiful backpack, an Osprey Talon 44, which I will have no use for - a school pack would do just as well (and not mark me as a target in the city, but oh well).

I've got to bring it anyway, of course, but after this trip, I want to start giving this great pack the use it deserves. I go to school in Northeast Ohio and there are some beautiful places to take a weekend or week-long trip. But I don't know the first thing about hiking. How many days of travel is my pack suited for, and is it possible to take a trip that long without buying anything else? (I can borrow a tent, sleeping bag and other beginner essentials from my school's outing club.) Or is this backpack such a silly thing to own that I should just return it and risk hurting my parents' feelings?

Relatedly, about the aforementioned essentials - I am more interested in tarp-camping than tent-camping, and have slept out happily sans sleeping bag in piles of brush. I think it would be more prudent to start more conventionally, however. Did any of you dive into lighter travel without initially lugging along tents and such? What was your experience like? Would you recommend it?

#159478 - 01/02/12 04:12 PM Re: The Trip it Deserves [Re: TreeFuzz]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
It's a good pack - especially if you're into lightweight hiking. Do you have previous backpacking experience? Knowing that will help us give you relevant advice. (I'm from southwest Ohio, and work frequently in northeast Ohio.)

I had been using the almost-4-pound Osprey Kestrel 48 for my 19 - 20 pound weekend loads. I've flushed out all the weight I want to from my other gear; the last piece of gear I'll be experimenting with is the pack. My first choice is to try a Talon 44, which will put my load in the 18 - 19 pound range, depending on the specific trip. I've taken it, loaded, around the block a few times, and so far, so good. I'm hoping to give it a weekend trial later this month.

I'd definitely keep the pack. It will definitely force you along the ultralight curve as you pick the rest of your gear, but it sounds like you're headed that way anyhow. Usually, the recommendation is other gear first, pack last - but it sounds like the pack will fit into your plans pretty well. (If you're truly into "hyperlight" backpacking, it will make a good starter pack, though you'll eventually go with something frameless and probably smaller.)

#159485 - 01/02/12 05:54 PM Re: The Trip it Deserves [Re: TreeFuzz]
lori Offline

Since you haven't used it yet, no idea if it as great as you think it is by my definition. I thought Osprey packs would be great for me, I can't wear the lighter packs of that brand at all because even a light load in an Osprey makes my back hurt.

I'd pack it and go for dayhikes for a while. See how it works out. If you weren't measured for size it may be inaccurately sized, that shows up fairly quickly in discomfort or just not being able to get the weight where you want it (on the hips, mostly).

I use a 40 liter pack for many of my 3 season trips, and depending on what I need to take for food storage could probably do a week with it. What will change for longer trips is the amount of food you take and if you need a bear canister, the size of the canister. If your gear is minimal you'll easily find there's space in the pack for all but the largest bear canister.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#159495 - 01/02/12 07:37 PM Re: The Trip it Deserves [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Good catch on the fit issue, Lori - I guess I just assumed that it fit properly (and we all know what happens when one assumes.)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum