Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158911 - 12/18/11 06:35 PM New 4 season solo tent
GunnyHuber Offline

Loc: Virginia
I have just returned to backpacking after a few years off. I have gone through my gear and while everything generally checks out, I believe my 30 year old North Face Westwind tent has met its maker. I was looking at the Hilleburg Akto but while searching through these forums saw the Tarptent Scarp 1. I could not find much other information on this tent in the forums and only a few tidbits on the internet for reviews (I am also a bit computer challenged). Does anyone have any information on how this tent holds up. I usually do winters in the Virginia, West Virginia mountains but do occasionally head north to the New Hampshire area. Will have snow, but mostly cold rain. When it does snow it will be wet and heavy.

Do want to have something I can eventually use in the western mountains.

Edited by GunnyHuber (12/18/11 06:39 PM)

#158944 - 12/19/11 01:21 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: GunnyHuber]
GunnyHuber Offline

Found a lot more information on the Scarp today, both on this site and on line. Had to change the way I was searching, less is more kind of thing. The Scarp looks like it will be my new solo tent.

Edited by GunnyHuber (12/20/11 06:44 AM)

#159237 - 12/25/11 02:40 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: GunnyHuber]
BradMT Offline

Blast from the past... the old NF Westwind was a top-drawer tent!

#159244 - 12/25/11 05:15 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: BradMT]
GunnyHuber Offline

The Westwind has been a good tent. Never liked the door, let to much snow in, but at the time, there wasn't much better. The floor material just started to feel brittle or just not right. Last thing I want is a failure on a stormy night. I ordered the Scarp and it should be here for January's camping.

#159246 - 12/25/11 05:49 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: GunnyHuber]
BradMT Offline

Hilleberg makes nice tents. I think I'd reconsider them were I you.

I had a Tarptent, but I really couldn't like all the condensation, even here in the high-dry West. Beautifully made and fine for a long thru-hike, but not a general 4-season tent IMO/E. Doubly-so in a humid locale like the East Coast.

Me, I use a Black Diamond Firstlight as a 4-season solo tent and prefer it far and away over the Tarptent. Certainly more of a viable East-Coast option than the TT too.

I still have an old TNF 1979 VE24 and 1986 June Bug...

#159248 - 12/25/11 08:49 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: BradMT]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Brad
Just out of curiosity, have you had the opportunity to compare the Scarp with the Akto ?

Franco

#159249 - 12/25/11 09:15 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: Franco]
BradMT Offline

Originally Posted By Franco
Brad
Just out of curiosity, have you had the opportunity to compare the Scarp with the Akto ?

Franco

Nope... I prefer the roomier, lighter, more breathable Black Diamond Firstlight here in Montana to either the Scarp or the Akto.

You think the Scarp is more breathable than the Rainbow?

When I buy another TT it'll be the Contrail. I still think it's among the best of the TT models.

#159250 - 12/25/11 10:04 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: BradMT]
Franco Offline

Sorry Brad , it was a "loaded" question because I happen to know that you have a Rainbow and that and the Scarp are not at all alike... .
The Rainbow is an hybrid , so you do have the side mesh walls in the "inner" however the top is single wall.
The Scarp is a full double wall tent with a fabric (called solid by Henry) ,totally separate, inner.
You can even put up either fly or inner by themselves.
Like any tent you still get condensation however you don't come in contact with it.
In really cold weather (ie -20f and less) the Akto may be a bit more glove friendly, but with the Scarp you do have the advantage of beign able to add extra poles to hold more snow.
The Akto very simply is not a Soulo nor a Staika .

For you , I still like the Contrail very much but now I would also look very carefuly at the Notch.
Franco

#159252 - 12/25/11 10:23 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: Franco]
BradMT Offline

Franco, I just went and looked at the Notch... nice. I'd have to get the pole set as I don't do trekking poles (I use a single cane).

As to the Scarp or Atko, for me the BD Firstlight is a lighter, roomier, more bomb-proof alternative. In winter I don't need a double wall, and for the rain I get here the Firstlight's single wall works more than adequately.

I'm sure the Scarp is excellent, I just can't see how it's better for my needs.

A couple shots I took five or six years ago...

#159253 - 12/25/11 10:35 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: BradMT]
Franco Offline

Brad
Since the OP has already decided anyway, we can digress...
When the Firstlight was announced I got all excited because of the weight/space ratio and I was already very familiar with the Bibler design.
About 30 minutes after the box of the first delivery to Melbourne was opened, I was inside one .
I then discovered that on top of a mat my sleeping bag would touch both end walls . (I am only 5'8")
Sleeping at an angle just does not feel right for me. So I purchased the Lighthouse, I already had tried out the Aussie prototype of that one.
Franco

#159254 - 12/25/11 10:40 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: Franco]
BradMT Offline

I'm 5'10" and I don't have to sleep at an angle. Straight works fine, but I think a 6" tall person is the absolute upper limit for a person in this tent.

Definitely the Lighthouse is a better option for those taller than 6'.

#159255 - 12/26/11 12:12 AM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: Franco]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
Love the winter tent picture. Wish I had Christmas cards of that.May I borrow the picture for non resale use? Philip

#159261 - 12/26/11 02:26 AM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: anicinabe]
Franco Offline

That picture was already borrowed from the TT site.
The proud owner of that Scarp is Matthias Nietruk from Germany.
Loads of nice shots of TTs in action here :
http://www.tarptent.com/gallery.html
Franco

#159280 - 12/27/11 02:16 PM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: Franco]
Family Guy Offline

I just received my Tarptent Notch. It is really, really yummy! Haven't used it in the field yet but it sets up nice and taught - really stable through the ridgeline. My only criticism thus far? I would prefer a bigger stuff sack (ha).

To the OP, I prefer more room to less for a winter shelter. The Akto is a bit small for extended stay and as Franco mentions, it isn't going to be optimal in snow loading conditions. 'Doable' but not optimal. The Scarp with the crossing poles will do much better with static snow load.

However, I am a big fan of the Hilleberg Nallo 2 as a solo winter tent. Very strong, good ventilation, double walled, easy to set up, and will last a lifetime.

#159314 - 12/28/11 11:36 AM Re: New 4 season solo tent [Re: Family Guy]
GunnyHuber Offline

I liked the look of the Akto but also looked at the Soulo. Freestanding was not a requirement for me as I have never had a problem with setting up the Westwind (not free standing). I chose the Scarp for its shape and the extra poles for support. That decision is somewhat based on a night I spent where we had high wind and driven snow, which part way through the night turned to freezing rain. The load on the tent that night was pretty intense, I was surprised the poles did not snap. I didn't think the Akto would hold up to that. I have never been a fan of single wall tents, but my opinion may be based on old technology. I did not even put them on my look at list. A lot has changed in the last 10 or so years, I may not have made the best decision in my selection (I do feel comfortable with it though) But with the information I had at hand, that is the decision I made. Hopefully I will be out testing the tent soon and hopefully it will do what I want it to do.

Edited by GunnyHuber (12/28/11 11:37 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum