Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#159078 - 12/21/11 11:32 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: BarryP]
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
Hi, Barry,

Just speaking about me, boil times aren't my primary consideration, particularly with alcohol stoves. I'm more concerned with weight. With HEET, I have to carry about 1/3 more fuel to do the same amount of cooking. Does that matter? It depends on the individual.

With respect to methanol, I assume the Walmart brand you're talking about is Super Tech Gas Line Antifreeze, yes? I looked up the MSDS, and it says 100% methanol. If that's cheaper, that would be a nice deal.

HJ

#159086 - 12/22/11 03:28 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Originally Posted By hikerduane
Tom, The Backpacker, Trail Talk forum, hence, TT.
Thanks HJ for tending to my stove count. smile
Duane

Thanks for the correction. TTips is a contentious bunch as well. Nothing like tele skiing true believers to get riled up over trivia.

#159109 - 12/22/11 01:02 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
Hikin Jim Offline

Oops, one little hitch in my get along: Super Tech Gas Line Antifreeze doesn't appear to be available in my area. WalMart's site says there's none available w/in 50 miles. frown

A 12 pack of HEET works out to $14 and some change per gallon. That's not so bad. Of course white gasoline is $9.69 or so and has a lot more heat content per gram. Funny how gasoline is less expensive than methanol.

HJ

#159136 - 12/22/11 05:22 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“Just speaking about me, boil times aren't my primary consideration, particularly with alcohol stoves. I'm more concerned with weight. With HEET, I have to carry about 1/3 more fuel to do the same amount of cooking.”

Hi Jim,
You’re right, it’s a personal preference. Out in the middle of nowhere, I care about boil times. I have found the shorter-burn-time stoves (5 minutes for 2C H2O) perform much better <32F than the slow ‘efficient’ stoves. And I use my stove in the cold a lot. So in that scenario, there’s only about a 10% weight difference for me (not 33%) in carrying SLX vs HEET. Plus 1 fl oz of alcy per meal is not that much to carry.

And yes, it is the “Super Tech Gas Line Antifreeze”. But I didn’t know it was 100% methanol. I thought the side label stated the same ingredients as HEET.

May your stove always bloom,
-Barry

#159220 - 12/24/11 03:31 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: BarryP]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By BarryP

You’re right, it’s a personal preference. Out in the middle of nowhere, I care about boil times. I have found the shorter-burn-time stoves (5 minutes for 2C H2O) perform much better <32F than the slow ‘efficient’ stoves. And I use my stove in the cold a lot. So in that scenario, there’s only about a 10% weight difference for me (not 33%) in carrying SLX vs HEET. Plus 1 fl oz of alcy per meal is not that much to carry.

And yes, it is the “Super Tech Gas Line Antifreeze”. But I didn’t know it was 100% methanol. I thought the side label stated the same ingredients as HEET.

May your stove always bloom,
Hi, Barry,

Walmart has a really cool (in my opinion) feature on their site: http://msds.walmartstores.com That link has all of the MSDS's for the products that Walmart sells. Is that cool or what? When I looked it up the other day, “Super Tech Gas Line Antifreeze” said 100% methanol. I tried to look it up again just now, but it's the day before Christmas, and their site seems like it's really sloooooow right now.

I hear you about the cold weather thing. A stove that's efficient and effective above freezing isn't necessarily the best stove for cold weather. Heat loss to the environment is much more pronounced in cold weather. Plus you need to have more total heat output because you're heating water with a much colder starting temperature.

OK, so opinion question (no wrong answers in other words), why do you take alcohol stoves on cold weather trips? I can think of some reasons (simplicity, fuel availability, etc.), but I'm curious as to what other reasons there may be. I've always looked at alcohol stoves as good for clement weather, but when the mercury starts dropping, I reach for gas or white gas/kero.

HJ

#159434 - 01/01/12 09:37 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
mtnbob Offline

It can't be discounted that 190 proof ethanol(everclear) is truely a multiple use item. Disinfectant, clean stove fuel, and ingredient for gatorade punch grin The price is overcome by it's flexiblity!

#159447 - 01/02/12 01:20 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: mtnbob]
Hikin Jim Offline

You've sold me! smile

HJ

#160057 - 01/10/12 06:36 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Sorry, I didn’t check this thread for a while.

“…why do you take alcohol stoves on cold weather trips?”
Well, some reasons:
1. It comes down to light weight again. An alcy setup will always be lighter than the whisperloud setup—even with the more required alcohol.
2. I’m still paranoid about white gas flare-ups.
3. Alcy always starts--- no priming or pumping (with a good stove).
4. Any fuel leaks doesn’t eat/destroy your nylon or polyester stuff.

Another help is-- fuel is saved by not coming to a full boil.

-Barry

#160060 - 01/10/12 07:01 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Hikin Jim

Just speaking about me, boil times aren't my primary consideration, particularly with alcohol stoves. I'm more concerned with weight. With HEET, I have to carry about 1/3 more fuel to do the same amount of cooking. Does that matter? It depends on the individual.

Assuming you are talking about the 100% methanol heet, this doesn't jive with my experience using both. Indeed, ethanol will technically have more BTU's, however, practically, I've not seen a measurable difference in the field in how much fuel is necessary - I've been able to measure *slightly* different boil times on my bench but they are faaaar less than variablility in the field (water temperature etc). with methanol versus ethanol. I certainly do not have to carry 1/3 less fuel with ethanol. I carry the same amount.

Now, as I use the penny stove which is at least partially pressurized, for this sort of stove, I do find that methanol is easier to light in the cold - as it boils 10 degrees lower than ethanol - so I find meths is a bit easier in the cold.

On the other hand, everclear is a bit more multi-use.

Browse my pictures

#160082 - 01/11/12 02:25 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: phat]
Hikin Jim Offline

phat,

I'm basing my remarks on the results I describe in this post: Is Ethanol Worth It?

I found I could boil in field conditions with only 18ml of high ethanol content fuel (Klean Strip Green Denatured) where as it took me 24ml of methanol (yellow HEET).

I've seen tests done in labs where the results where much closer, but in my tests, which I repeated numerous times, there was a 6ml difference per 500ml boiled.

YMMV (Your Methanol May Vary) wink

HJ

#160093 - 01/11/12 09:41 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Interesting - I sure don't see that difference, and I've done pretty much the same test! - mind you, I am using a penny stove - I wonder if the caldera cone and caldera cone stove manages to do a lot better with the ethanol as compared..

If I had a caldera cone stove I'd be tempted to compare the difference in both stoves... hmm.. my brother does. perhaps I'll borrow it smile
Browse my pictures

#160113 - 01/11/12 02:21 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: phat]
Hikin Jim Offline

Sometimes, it can be really hard to generalize with alcohol stoves. So much depends on the conditions and the entire system used for testing. If you do borrow your brother's cone, I'd be interested in your results.

If you look at the link above, down at the bottom of my blog post, I listed all the conditions I tested under (wind, temp, altitude, etc).

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum