Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158922 - 12/18/11 11:01 PM Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)
Hikin Jim Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA, USA
Sure, you can run your alcohol stove on methanol. That's what comes in a yellow bottle of HEET. I mean it's cheap and available and all -- but it doesn't have as much heat content as ethanol. In other words, you have to carry more methanol just to do the same amount of cooking.

OK, so I can get more heat from ethanol than methanol, great, but alcohols with high ethanol content tend to be more expensive. Just how much weight can I save? In other words, Is Ethanol Worth It?

Join me on today's Adventure in Stoving as we "do the numbers" on ethanol.

HJ

#158923 - 12/18/11 11:04 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Hey Jim, where'd you take that picture from? I'm thinking maybe up above Sierra Madre?

#158926 - 12/18/11 11:53 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: TomD]
Hikin Jim Offline

Hi, Tom, you're very close. That photo is taken from Henninger Flats which is right above Altadena and just west of Sierra Madre. Good eye.

I thought that photo was so cool that I had to include it even though the post was about alcohol as a fuel.

I did however do all the testing from right near where that photo was taken, so I guess it's sort of on topic.

HJ

#158927 - 12/19/11 02:01 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
TomD Offline

I know exactly where that is. A few years ago, I went up to the Forestry Division camp for the Fourth of July weekend with some friends. We could see fireworks all over the place, from the Rose Bowl all along the 210 and the 10. We hiked up the old Mt. Wilson Toll Road from Altadena. That's where I was thinking when I said Sierra Madre. smile

Edited by TomD (12/19/11 02:02 AM)

#158931 - 12/19/11 11:00 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: TomD]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Tom, don't encourage HJ. He's everywhere. smile
Duane

#158935 - 12/19/11 11:43 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: TomD]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By TomD
I know exactly where that is. A few years ago, I went up to the Forestry Division camp for the Fourth of July weekend with some friends. We could see fireworks all over the place, from the Rose Bowl all along the 210 and the 10. We hiked up the old Mt. Wilson Toll Road from Altadena. That's where I was thinking when I said Sierra Madre. smile
That's exactly the spot. It was such a beautiful day that I had to take a photo.

HJ

#158936 - 12/19/11 11:50 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: hikerduane]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Tom, don't encourage HJ. He's everywhere. smile
Duane
Yes, don't encourage me. I might start talking about hiking or something. And we wouldn't want that now would we? wink

HJ

#158943 - 12/19/11 01:17 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
hikerduane Offline

Howdy HJ, at least here, unlike TT, we keep on topic and no bashing here or insensitive folks.
Duane

#158946 - 12/19/11 02:08 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: hikerduane]
Hikin Jim Offline

Yeah, TT can get a little rambunctious some times.

HJ

#158948 - 12/19/11 03:00 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
TomD Offline

"TT"? Do you mean Telemark Tips? They get a bit rowdy at times. As for HJ, I know him from Trailspace.

btw HJ, I liked your analysis of the Nova on your website. I have one-mine is the older one, but I left my pump out on my deck and the salt air corroded the aluminum. Is the problem with the new ones the pump or the stove itself? The pump probably still works, just doesn't look as nice. I haven't fired it up in a while. I did have a problem with the pump (the pickup tube came loose) and got no help from Brunton, so I wrote to Optimus in Sweden and got an answer back right away. The answer was simple-just epoxy it back in place, but I wasn't sure if that was the right solution-it was.

#158955 - 12/19/11 04:36 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: TomD]
Hikin Jim Offline

Tom,

The main problem with the Novas produced after Katadyn took over is the pump, but there are a host of problems.

The new pumps got rid of the proven CEJN connector and substituted a cheap knock off that has been nothing but problems. The new pumps are not compatible with the old ones.

HJ

#158957 - 12/19/11 04:38 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
So, what happens when the temperature gets down in the 20s or 30s? Does the weight advantage still hold, or does ethanol petter out b/c it won't vaporize? At 15 degrees F, will my supercat still work with HEET, or will it fizzle and leave me cold and hungry?

#158960 - 12/19/11 05:15 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Steadman]
Hikin Jim Offline

Personally, if it gets much below 45F, I'm getting out a gas or liquid fueled stove. You can make an alcohol stove work, but to me it starts seeming like too much trouble.

In colder weather, almost every alcohol stove will need to be primed. I use the lid off of a little tea container. It's just a bit wider than my stove. I set the stove (already fueled) in the primer pan, pour in a little alcohol, and light the alcohol. The alcohol in the primer pan heats the alcohol in the body of the stove and induces vaporization.

Because you're having to prime and because you're having to work with water (or snow) that is much colder, you're going to have to carry a lot more alcohol. Again, me personally, I don't see an alcohol stove as my "go to" stove for cold weather, but they can be made to work. Each to his own.

HJ

#158962 - 12/19/11 05:34 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Wick based alcohol stoves need no priming, and are more efficient users of fuel in all temperatures. They light instantly (like a candle) even in sub-zero F. And one doesn't need to keep the fuel warm by sleeping with a canister. My go to stove is the alcohol based fanceefeest (not the supercat).

#158963 - 12/19/11 05:55 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: DTape]
Hikin Jim Offline

I haven't ever checked out any wicked stoves. I have heard a lot of good things about the Fancee Feast (from Zelph, yes?). Maybe I'll have to check that one out.

HJ

#158969 - 12/19/11 07:35 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: TomD]
hikerduane Offline

Tom, The Backpacker, Trail Talk forum, hence, TT.
Thanks HJ for tending to my stove count. smile
Duane

#158972 - 12/19/11 07:59 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: DTape]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By DTape
Wick based alcohol stoves need no priming, and are more efficient users of fuel in all temperatures. They light instantly (like a candle) even in sub-zero F. And one doesn't need to keep the fuel warm by sleeping with a canister. My go to stove is the alcohol based fanceefeest (not the supercat).

+1. The stoves with fiberglass wick wrapped around get into the pack when it's cold.

As long as I'm not melting lots of snow they work great.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#158975 - 12/19/11 09:07 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: lori]
Hikin Jim Offline

Lori,

Do your stoves have wick on the outside or on the inside? If the wick is on the inside, then it's a true wick stove where the wick is transporting the fuel into the main flame.

If your stove has a wick on the outside, that's a priming wick which is used to get the stove warm enough to get going.

For example, the stove shown below does have a wick but it's a priming wick (on the outside). This stove is not a wicked stove per se.

Technical distinction, yes, I know, but I'm a stovie. What can I say? It does matter though for cold weather performance.

HJ

#158978 - 12/19/11 09:30 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
OK, HJ, what do you call a stove that has wicks on both the inside and outside? Inquiring minds want to know.......

#158979 - 12/19/11 09:32 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
lori Offline

I have a Blackfly and a Mini-Atomic. Both are Mini Bull stoves, both work fine in any temp. One has a primer wick around the stove, one has a wick that is inserted into the fuel and wicks it up through the top of the lid.

My non wick stoves work fine down to about freezing, actually.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#158983 - 12/19/11 10:50 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: oldranger]
Hikin Jim Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
OK, HJ, what do you call a stove that has wicks on both the inside and outside? Inquiring minds want to know.......
Well, naturally, a stove with two wicks would pick up fuel at twice the rate of other stoves. So, I guess you could call it the "quicker wicker upper."

HJ

P.S. I'm new here, but you seem strangely familiar. Hmm... Do you like Primus 71 stoves?

#159002 - 12/20/11 07:47 AM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Ah, very astute! On ETS, I sign in as "hikermor."

#159011 - 12/20/11 05:25 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: oldranger]
Hikin Jim Offline

I was afraid of that, er, I mean, that's what I thought. wink

HJ

#159056 - 12/21/11 03:41 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: lori]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Hey Lori,
“My non wick stoves work fine down to about freezing, actually.”
I thought you had a white box stove; and that goes even lower. Mine works great at 0F even w/o preheating--- though preheating (in the coat) speeds up the blooming process.

I have a V8 open-jet pressure stove that has fiberglass batting in the walls--- used as a wick. My daughter loves that cute stove and she’s been using it for 5 years. However, it just pitters out when it approaches 30F outside. So I wonder if ‘inside’ wicking is only good for some stoves and not others.

May your stove always bloom.
-Barry

#159057 - 12/21/11 03:48 PM Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves) [Re: Hikin Jim]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Good question. It’s true that HEET has less BTU than SLX. But the proof is in the pudding. I find only a 30 second difference of boil times (2 cups of 60F water) when comparing HEET and SLX. So for a 300 second boil vs a 330 second boil is only a 10% change. That’s in the noise of too many outside variables. So for 3 season estimate I bring 0.75 mass oz per meal of HEET or SLX (my buddies use SLX). So for a week, I’ll bring 10 mass oz or 11 mass oz. It’s really hard to notice the 10% difference. Some other benefits of HEET over SLX is it burns cleaner (less sooting), no smell, no fidget starting at 0F (or any temperature), and I get it cheaper.

Here I am talking about HEET and for the past 4 years I haven’t used HEET! I’ve been using the cheaper walmart copycat version. It is 98¢ /12fl. oz. Then, later it goes on sale for 50¢ (for about 15 seconds!)

May your stove always bloom.
-Barry

The mountains were made for Tevas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum