Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165355 - 04/26/12 12:13 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Franco]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Well I am sure looking forward to your review of the powerpot, I think that's a pretty "hot" concept! wink

"You want to go where?"

#165356 - 04/26/12 12:22 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Franco]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By Franco
Omn another forum someone asked about a comparison with solar panels, my comment was that "it's just like day and night "
Franco

You, sir, are shame-free. eek

#165367 - 04/26/12 08:50 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Rick_D]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
I haven't been knighted as yet, have no shame but loads of toys.
I have my own branch of Toys-R-Me
Franco

#166206 - 05/26/12 10:52 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Franco]
Gordie Offline

I have this stove ordered. Can't wait to get it and test it out. Hope it lives up to my expectations.

#166267 - 05/29/12 02:35 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Franco]
bbt Offline

Loc: Northern California
I've been playing with the Boilerwerks stove (from Kickstarter). Interesting little stove, it doesn't have the charging capability - but solar works well for that, and you can keep the solar running all day. for a stove, I really only want to burn when I'm boiling my water.

http://youtu.be/kt0x1GeI-Mg

#166393 - 06/01/12 06:26 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: bbt]
Franco Offline

My solar panels failed to charge that day.
Same thing for the next few days,
The manufacturers are at a loss to explain why.
Franco

#166407 - 06/02/12 10:53 AM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Franco]
billstephenson Offline

Quote:
My solar panels failed to charge that day.

laugh

"You want to go where?"

#166855 - 06/13/12 09:29 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: billstephenson]
Franco Offline

The BioLite was delivered to a Californian address early last week and it has just arrived at my place in Melbourne this morning.
First it is heavish at 2.2 lbs but (unexpectedly) it has a LiIon batt built in and that is what will make the USB charging work...
Rated USB output is 2W at 5V continuous ,4w @5v peak.
It is very well made , feels strong and rated to hold 8 lbs.
This afternoon I will shoot a short video on this doing the first burn...
BTW it is about 4" in diameter so just a bit wider than a 1L Nalgene.
My YouTube channel is 'francodarioli"
Franco
Quick update
As a stove it is brilliant.
The first burn took about 15 minutes to boil 1 liter of water however I was fiddling about and let the flame die in between having the starting kindling and then feeding thicker stuff.
(you will see that in the video clip)
I did another couple of burns later and realised how important it is to keep feeding the stove if you don't want any smoke about.
This is the nice bit, once you get a good flame the smoke is almost not there...
On my fourth burn I put the pot on after having fed some bigger bits (about 2 minutes into the burn..) and got a roaring boil (1 L ) at around 9min.
BTW the wood I was using was bits that I collected from the nearby park and not particularly dry nor necessarily good for fire...

Now the not so good bit
I tried a couple of USB LED lights I have , the Bio Lite could not power them up. Then I remembered that my Garmin 60 CSX can be USB powered but that did not work either .
I do not have any other USB powered devices that I can try so not sure as yet what is going on here but it is possible that the BioLite was not hot enough for that even though it did have the "green:" light (USB power OK) on.
I will try again...

Edited by Franco (06/14/12 04:41 AM)

#166998 - 06/18/12 02:54 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Franco]
billstephenson Offline

Can you measure the output?

I've never looked into the wiring of USB cables, but those connectors are so small that a standard multimeter wouldn't probably do you much good.

I wonder if there is a cable that you can plug into a multimeter? Or maybe an app for a phone that will tell you what the power source is inputing.

It did power the fan though, right? I'd have thought it'd power a few LEDs then with no sweat, so something must be amiss somewhere.

I'm looking forward to your video Franco. I hope you find something to power up soon!

"You want to go where?"

#167000 - 06/18/12 03:33 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: billstephenson]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
but those connectors are so small that a standard multimeter wouldn't probably do you much good.

He can lop off the end of a spare USB cable (they multiply like rabbits around here), isolate and identify the pin-outs, and measure that way. My smaller muli-meter leads will fit a USB connector with no problem, so his should work if they are small. Measure both under load and un-loaded.

Things to check for on a system like that...1)check that the lithium ion battery has a full charge. That battery probably acts as a buffer to flatten out and regulate the voltage fluctuations of the peltier device due to heat variations.
2) make sure the voltage requirement of the device you are trying to power is below the stoves output capability. USB pin 1 (red wire) is +5 vdc. An iPhone battery is +3.7 vdc and wants to see that or more, regulated.

I was given a "Solar iPhone Charger" and gave up on the thing due to regulating issues. The phone charging scheme would shut itself down if the charge voltage was unstable. A buffer battery would have helped but it would have taken days to charge it with the dinky solar cell.

So, if your output is dropping below the device requirements or is unstable, and the device has a firmware controlled charging scheme, it might not charge. Top off that lithium ion batt to a full charge and see if that doesn't get her going.

#167008 - 06/18/12 07:18 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Dryer]
Franco Offline

hi
I forgot to put the link to the video. Here it is :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCsPFuKEl...mp;feature=plcp
I shot that about two hours after getting the box...
I did some more tests the day after, it burns well but little output.
There are several clips on YouTube showing that the unit works, so it is me or my stove.
Yesterday I charged the battery again so I might do some more tests today.
No I don't have a multimeter nor do I really know anything about electricity...
Franco

a working version :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cPkNjIy8kk&feature=related

#167017 - 06/18/12 11:26 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Franco]
Dryer Offline

From your video, the stove certainly looks well made and I'm impressed with it's clean burning.
Is there possibly a waiting time programmed in so the Peltier device has a chance to heat up and generate, so as not to deplete the battery with the fan before charging an outboard device? If the green diode is lit, it would seem to indicate "ready".
Volt/Ohm (multi-meter) meters are cheap now days and would help troubleshoot your stove (and many other things!).
For your test, your USB light should be enough.

If I were testing the stove, I'd get a fire going and keep it going strong for 20 min. If it's not charging by then, you probably have an electronics problem. Warranty?

#167071 - 06/22/12 02:42 AM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Dryer]
Franco Offline

Hi Dryer
The TEG (the batt/fan part) is now dead...
At the start it did all the right things.
As you might have noticed in the video it takes a little while for the green light (USB out ready) to come up but once up it did not work.
The next day I let it run for about 20 minutes after the green light came up before plugging a USB device in . (I had re-charged the battery via PC USB in the meantime)
Still nothing.
Two days later the fan stopped working and if I plug it in on the PC USB I get a green light no fan going.
So now I am waiting to hear from BioLite.
Kind of funny that having posted about this product in various forums I am the one to get a faulty one...
Franco

#167079 - 06/22/12 11:39 AM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Franco]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
I am the one to get a faulty one...

LOL grin Franco, I can dig deep into a pallet load of (pick a product) and I will pick the faulty one every time. My curse. eek

In all likelyhood, that thing has 1) peltier device 2) voltage regulator 3)a couple of diodes to prevent back feeding the peltier and 4) battery and fan. It would be my guess that you've lost the voltage regulator chip and nothing is making it to the USB. Not much can go wrong with a peltier block. I'm assuming the stove was wired correctly from the start. This is easy to test with a meter but in your case, Biolite should replace it. I still liked your reviews and am hoping to see this thing work as it should.

I don't know what kinds of stores you have there but a $10 multi-meter....which I'll happily walk you through its use....will tell you exactly what is coming out of that USB port. You'll use it later to test batteries and lightbulbs, etc....many uses.
Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, auto parts stores all have cheap meters.

#168043 - 07/28/12 07:52 PM Re: Wood stove/charging device [Re: Dryer]
Franco Offline

quick update.
BioLite has been in touch with me and a replacement unit should me on it's way soon.
I am far too stupid to attempt to fix it myself but if I come across someone that understands stuff like this I might attempt to have the faulty one fixed.
in the meantime the PowerPot people have been making noises about delivering their creation soon.
I have now come to understand how the PowerPot works. It needs water to cool the non flame side of the power generating thingo.
So it would be suitable for boil only type meals but not cooking dryish meals.
Franco

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum