Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158472 - 12/08/11 05:25 PM sewing machines
klw Offline

hey everybody

just found the the site looking forward to making some stuff. i dont do as much backpacking as i used to but still spending a fair amount of time outside. lately been spending time making some cloths (fleece jackets, pants , wool jackets etc.) and breaking sewing machines. usually not a big problem, but yesterday i broke my wife's machine that she asked me not to use for my "projects". Im tired of fighting my old machines need something more reliable. any suggestions? thanks

#158478 - 12/08/11 05:59 PM Re: sewing machines [Re: klw]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Long long ago, I made friends with my local 'sew and vac' store owner. A machine repair guy will tell you what to look for and might even have trade-ins available.

I have three mechanical machines, none less than 30 years old, and my favorite is a plain old Singer Fashion Mate 252 that I've souped up a bit. I've sewn canvas with that thing, as well as silnylon.
I look for all steel guts, no electronics, and standard parts sizes so I can bolt on aftermarket specialty parts like walking feet and such. Straight, zig-zag, and blind are the most common stitches, and I like a fast machine. Watch Craigslist once in a while. Been sewing most my life and that's my .02 cents.

#158481 - 12/08/11 06:22 PM Re: sewing machines [Re: klw]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Old Singers are among the best. Sewing seems to be out of fashion in general.

#158484 - 12/08/11 06:54 PM Re: sewing machines [Re: klw]
Frankendude Offline

Look for a Pfaff 230. Around $250 - $300. Sounds like a lot of cash but not just any machine will work with the heavier materials and thicker threads. Try before you buy or get recommendations for particular models. ZigZag is necessary as a bar tack (sort of). Look for all steel components (most modern home machines are full of nylon gears). You also need to use a larger needle. Most home machines will use something like a #14. To sew with e-thread or "69" nylon thread, you'll need to go somewhere between #18 - #24 needle. If you research how a sewing machine needle actually works, by using a groove for the thread, and an area on the needle that pinches the thread so a loop for the hook is created, then you'll understand the need for the correct size needle. Or you can just ignore all that and get a #22 needle.

Good luck on you project(s)

Edited by Frankendude (12/08/11 07:36 PM)

#158487 - 12/08/11 07:14 PM Re: sewing machines [Re: Frankendude]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Moving this to Make Your Own Gear, which is a more appropriate section for this topic--especially since that's why the OP is asking!

#158495 - 12/08/11 08:05 PM Re: sewing machines [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Yeah, it's hard to beat the old Singers. I snagged an old 1950's model 99 on eBay for under $100 shipped. It only does straight stitches, but it really does them well, and you can punch thru several layers of nylon webbing and even belt leather.

Awhile back I made a sheath for a little fillet knife out of nylon webbing lined with pieces of plastic milk carton and it punched thru all four layers like they were nothing.

"You want to go where?"

#158551 - 12/09/11 10:15 PM Re: sewing machines [Re: billstephenson]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
in sept. i bought my own for 20$us. i used craigs list and was rather model specific, a singer 15-91. it needed a power cord( 10$) and the light reconnected. but other than that it was a darn good deal.orignally i was looking for a portable, but this was so good that i jumped. btw it is mounted in a floor cabinet and the top expands to a 54 X16 work surface, when the machine is up and ready to sew. these machines only do foward and reverse...no zigzag. but should handle anything that'll fit under the foot. you're lucky in that you probably have an idea of what youre hobby will require. good luck

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (12/09/11 10:16 PM)

#158553 - 12/10/11 12:24 AM Re: sewing machines [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Your kidding??? $20 is an amazing deal. That's what I learned to sew on as a kid in my grandmothers laundry. It could sew denim, canvas, leather, plastic sheeting, you name it. I have a Chinese copy of that machine that is a dedicated "ruffler" and pleat machine and it's 'almost' as good.
Those old machines were built for daily use as a necessity, not a hobby, and were tough as tanks. Can't go wrong.

#158555 - 12/10/11 04:10 AM Re: sewing machines [Re: OregonMouse]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Pfaffs are good too.
And used semi-industrial machines if you can find one, but they often come with their own table or supports.
Don't know if ex-DDR machines are found on your side of the ocean(s), but most were absolutely bombproof:all metal, heavy as tanks, extremely ugly, basic, did the job.

#158720 - 12/14/11 12:21 PM Re: sewing machines [Re: Dryer]
Ffej Etaps Offline

Loc: Montreal, QC Canada
Ditto on the Singer Fashion Mate. Mine was given to me by my mother-in-law. It's solid as a rock. Check out Ebay. They have tons of great old machines. The simpler the better.

Cheers

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum