Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157962 - 11/28/11 07:48 PM Re: New Member [Re: TomD]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Sequoia and Kings Canyon are good too. Once you get away from the touristy spots the trails aren't crowded. At least they weren't when I was there.

But, Yosemite is the Crown Jewel of NPs, and the logistics of getting there and hiking there are probably the best anywhere you can go. All things considered it almost has to be the first place I'd recommend too, and I've never even been there frown

"You want to go where?"

#157963 - 11/28/11 07:49 PM Re: New Member [Re: oldranger]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Don't forget the Boundary Waters area is near (relatively) Isle Royale - is there any good backpacking there?

Of course, if our young friend got tired of walking, a canoe or kayak trip might make for a pleasant finale to the month. smile

#157964 - 11/28/11 07:50 PM Re: New Member [Re: oldranger]
Glenn Offline

Hey, Ranger, the same offer is open to you, if you want to fly to Dayton. (I'd even let you UPS your gear to my house - give me a chance to do some upgrades while you were en route. smile )

#157965 - 11/28/11 07:56 PM Re: New Member [Re: TomD]
Glenn Offline

I wasn't intending to talk him out of it - just give him some alternatives closer to home (if logistics is a problem) and perhaps less daunting (which may be more a matter of parental trepidation than his own spirit.)

Regardless of where he decides to go, I'm very envious; youth is indeed wasted on the young! smile

#157968 - 11/28/11 09:24 PM Re: New Member [Re: OregonMouse]
NavemadaMan Offline

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Ending up not-dead would be kinda nice. Hehe I guess learning self-reliance skills would take some time and experience. I'm the kind of person who usually goes into things all-or-nothing. Its gotten me into all kinds of situations throughout my life. Some good, many not so much. But I feel as though I should go against my nature on this, listen to you experienced folk, and postpone going to Oregon until a later time when I do have more experience. frown

BUT! There is still my other options that have been listed so kindly. So far, Yosemite is winning. I've seen a few images on Google and the scenery looks breathtaking there! Nonetheless, I still have many other places to look into.

And I agree, I should probably get my gear very soon to be able to practice with it and see if the backpack fits and everything.

Edited by NavemadaMan (11/28/11 09:50 PM)

#157969 - 11/28/11 09:38 PM Re: New Member [Re: aimless]
NavemadaMan Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
there are scads more trails at Yosemite that at Isle Royale

But I find it is mighty hard to deflect a person who has fixed an idea in their head for a while and started to build a dream around it. We may believe this would be a fantastic choice for him, based on what he's said he wants, but if he is going to accept our ideas on this, he'll have to trust that we know a lot about this matter that he doesn't yet have the knowledge to conclude on his own. That's one heck of a lot of trust for someone who is specifically trying to demonstrate his independence. frown

Well it was an extremely difficult decision, I am the most stubborn person I know, but I'm going to listen to you guys. Not listening to your guys' input would probably not be a wise decision, since you all have only a tiny bit more experience than me smirk hehe. So but I must say you were spot-on in saying that its hard to change someone's mind of a dream they've already begun to construct. And let me tell you, there was a lot of that daydreaming going on in my classes today.

#157970 - 11/28/11 09:46 PM Re: New Member [Re: Glenn]
NavemadaMan Offline

Isle Royale looks stunning in the pictures I've seen, but it seems like there are too many issues with transportation to be able to even get there. And that is a noble gesture Glenn, but I don't want to get you in trouble with your wife grin hehe

#157971 - 11/28/11 10:03 PM Re: New Member [Re: NavemadaMan]
Glenn Offline

Like I've never been in trouble with her before! (Like most men, I married a whole lot better than she did.)

Actually, Isle Royale is beautiful, but probably a bit too complicated, logistically, for what you want to do. All things considered, it sounds like your best bet would be Yosemite if you decide to go west, and the Appalachian Trail (a single longer chunk, or several selective sections) if you want to stay east.

#157976 - 11/28/11 10:58 PM Re: New Member [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

Unless next season's snow pack is like last season's snow pack, in which case a lot of Yosemite may be under snow til July.

Keep your eyes on the forum! The trip reports will be rollin' in come springtime. I shall be taking the hiking group to Yosemite for snowshoeing several times before then, and want to get a 3-4 day Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne trip going in July. I might be able to add a day and go from Hetch Hetchy this time.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#157977 - 11/28/11 11:05 PM Re: New Member [Re: Glenn]
NavemadaMan Offline

Okay, Yosemite wins! So at the end of my senior year, I will be going to Yosemite National Park. It looks so beautiful and from what you have all told me, it seems like the ideal place for me to go.

Edited by NavemadaMan (11/28/11 11:05 PM)

#157978 - 11/28/11 11:13 PM Re: New Member [Re: lori]
NavemadaMan Offline

Going in July instead of June is something I can definitely do. So if its snow I have to worry about in June, the I'll just have to go in July.

#157980 - 11/28/11 11:34 PM Re: New Member [Re: NavemadaMan]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
You may only encounter snow in the high country, and not much at that depending on where you go. In the Valley in summer, it is hot. Not Florida hot with high humidity, but hot. Check the park's website for weather info.

I highly recommend the Rough Guide to Yosemite. Amazon or your local bookstore will have it or can order it for you. Retail price, $9.95. Also Tom Harrison has a great map of Yosemite.
www.tomharrisonmaps.com
There are many other guidebooks, plus info on the park's own website. The concessionaire also has its own website to make camping reservations, which you will need for some camps. Backcountry requires a free backcountry permit, which you can get once you get there.

#157981 - 11/29/11 12:02 AM Re: New Member [Re: TomD]
NavemadaMan Offline

That seems ideal though, snow still in some places but most all of it melted away.

And one thing I can say about living in Florida my whole life, I've learned ways to keep cool and deal with heat. So the heat doesn't concern me as much as the cold does. Now that's a whole new animal right there...

And thanks for the book recommendation. I'll see if I can get it.

#157993 - 11/29/11 11:18 AM Re: New Member [Re: NavemadaMan]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
Bear in mind that the heat in Yosemite will be far different from what you have in Miami. The relative humidity is extremely in the High Sierra. That means you will still sweat a lot, but you won't notice it because it will evaporate almost immediately.

So don't use sweat as an indicator of how hot you are, and keeping drinking LOTS of water.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#158005 - 11/29/11 12:12 PM Re: New Member [Re: Glenn]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Originally Posted By Glenn
Now that Mouse has broached the subject, I'd gladly put a plug in for staying in the East. I think our backcountry might be less intimidating for a beginner, quite honestly. And, if your parents are willing, it could simplify your logistics issues and give them a bit more peace of mind.

If you want a month on the trail, then you could do the first leg of the Appalachian Trail (and finish section-hiking the whole trail by the time you finish college.)

For a first trip, these will be plenty intimidating without being overwhelming. You'll gain great experience, and then be ready to take a big bite out of Big Mountains in the West next year.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I think Mouse has given you a realistic and achievable alternative for a first trip.

This would get my vote as well.

Appalachian backcountry is beautiful and plenty challenging, especially for a beginner.

And no grizzlies to worry about. Ha.

#158008 - 11/29/11 12:18 PM Re: New Member [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Grizzlies in Yosemite? not recently...

The real hazard for Easterners traveling to the West is that once you experience the area (and Yosemite is just the tip of the iceberg), you will never go back east. That is what happened to me years ago.

Once you have cut your teeth on Yosemite, you can try some really nice, relatively secluded areas like the Gila Wilderness, Bob Marshall, or similar..

#158013 - 11/29/11 01:58 PM Re: New Member [Re: oldranger]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Regarding the eastern U.S.A. vs. western U.S.A.:

I really have no doubt that the east has some amazingly beautiful country, the sort of places that make your heart swell like a bullfrog with quiet wonderment. But when it comes to generating powerful, thrilling waves of awe, the western mountains (and deserts) are in a whole 'nother league. And for a flatland Florida lad, Yosemite will be like dying and going to heaven.

Just my $0.02.

#158018 - 11/29/11 03:16 PM Re: New Member [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Blue_Ridge_Ninja

And no grizzlies to worry about. Ha.

There are no grizzlies in California, have not been any since before I was born... and that wasn't yesterday.

And the black bears here just want your food, so don't forget to rent the bear canister.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#158019 - 11/29/11 03:24 PM Re: New Member [Re: aimless]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah

I really have no doubt that the east has some amazingly beautiful country, the sort of places that make your heart swell like a bullfrog with quiet wonderment. But when it comes to generating powerful, thrilling waves of awe, the western mountains (and deserts) are in a whole 'nother league. And for a flatland Florida lad, Yosemite will be like dying and going to heaven.

Just my $0.02.

Shhhhhhh. You aren't suppose to tell anyone.

#158022 - 11/29/11 04:06 PM Re: New Member [Re: aimless]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
when it comes to generating powerful, thrilling waves of awe, the western mountains (and deserts) are in a whole 'nother league.

Yeah, I agree. Nothing east of the Rockies can compete for jaw dropping awe.

And the Ozarks do "make your heart swell like a bullfrog with quiet wonderment". At least they do mine smile

"You want to go where?"

#158032 - 11/29/11 06:45 PM Re: New Member [Re: lori]
oldranger Offline

except for the one on the state flag...

#158036 - 11/29/11 07:48 PM Re: New Member [Re: aimless]
Glenn Offline

Actually, I don't think it's a contest. You simply learn to love the areas you can get to. In my case, I don't hike out west because I can't block out 10 days or 2 weeks to hike (competing needs of work, family, etc.)

I've seen some of the western mountains, not as a backpacker, but as a business visitor. They are incredibly beautiful. So are the Applachians and Smokies and Whites. But they're all beautiful differently - and that's the wonderful part: there's always something to wow everyone. As Harry Roberts once wrote: "backpacking exists everywhere, and it's good everywhere... There are places in this world that let you look out far, and others that help you look in deep. My Michigan is one of the others..."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#158093 - 11/30/11 10:38 PM Re: New Member [Re: aimless]
NavemadaMan Offline

So yesterday I just didn't have the time to respond to any posts on here. Between catching up on both AP physics work and sleep, I just couldn't. Oh and wish me luck on my physics test tomorrow! grin

And for a flatland Florida lad, Yosemite will be like dying and going to heaven.

Ah aimless, very perceptive of you. That is a huge reason why I'm adamant about going to the mountains in the west coast.

Oh and my mother is a little relieved to find out that I am going to Yosemite instead of Oregon. Cooled her off a bit. So good call guys laugh

#158094 - 11/30/11 11:23 PM Re: New Member [Re: NavemadaMan]
oldranger Offline

Be sure and check back in and let us know how it all turned out.

#158095 - 11/30/11 11:46 PM Re: New Member [Re: oldranger]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Heck, he needs to check in sooner than that and share some of the planning stages. Just so we can see he's doing his due diligence, and so we can help him to figure all this new stuff out.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum