Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158308 - 12/05/11 10:00 PM Re: New Member [Re: lori]
NavemadaMan Offline

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Okay well there seems to be a good deal of dissent about sleeping bags, with price and company and a slew of other things but I think I'm going to just go with a more expensive sleeping bag to keep me warm at night. Not having to worry about staying warm at night seems like a really nice thing for me. Plus, I'm a Florida boy, 'nuff said.

I am also thinking about getting a fairly good dehydrator to dehydrate a bunch of food at home before I go. I've read that dehydrated food lasts much longer than its hydrated counterparts, and it weighs much less. And I feel like its a lot healthier than buying pre-dried food out there, most of those foods are full of tons of sodium and preservatives.

Am I in the wrong with thinking of purchasing a dehydrator?

#158309 - 12/05/11 11:12 PM Re: New Member [Re: NavemadaMan]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Your options are almost unlimited with a dehydrator. A few things are better freeze-dried: peas (which remain the consistency of shotgun pellets after rehydration, even prolonged cooking) and some meats, especially chicken (which, unless you use pressure-cooked or canned chicken, turns into chicken jerky).

This site has lots of recipes and ideas. Also check the "Lite Food Talk" section on this forum. I'm really into "Freezer Bag 'cooking,'" in which you boil water and pour it into your food in the freezer bag it's carried in, using a cozy to keep it warm. Just eat out of the plastic bag, lick and then rinse your spoon--no dishes to wash!

Be sure to try out your meals/experiments at home, first! If they don't taste good at home, they probably won't taste good on the trail, either! You might prevent a disaster such as I had with the dried peas aka shotgun pellets!

Also, label well. My grandchildren still won't let me forget the trip two years ago when (half asleep while preparing breakfast) I mistook chocolate pudding mix for cocoa mix!
lol

Your mom will, of course, greatly appreciate your cleaning up the kitchen after your cooking and dehydrating efforts!

Edited by OregonMouse (12/05/11 11:17 PM)

#158311 - 12/06/11 12:01 AM Re: New Member [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I'm not sure I would buy a dehydrator right off the bat. A lot of people use an oven set on 'warm" with the door cracked open a bit. You can also get a lot of lightweight food from the supermarket, reducing weight and bulk by repackaging. I sometimes supplement with freeze-dried foods which are reasonably healthy. Like anything else, don't consume them exclusively for long periods.

If you really get into back country cooking, one would make sense.

#158360 - 12/06/11 09:39 PM Re: New Member [Re: oldranger]
NavemadaMan Offline

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I looked up the prices for freeze-dried food and they're really expensive. I feel like buying a good dehydrator would pay for itself in no time. Plus I love jerky. A ton. Really tough and chewy jerky. I know, I'm weird like that. But I think getting dehydrator would be a great investment if its a viable option for generating food for backcountry adventures, instead of purchasing freeze-dried bags of food. Oh and fruit leather, I love fruit leather grin

#158365 - 12/06/11 10:12 PM Re: New Member [Re: NavemadaMan]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Well, if you are intereste in dehydrating your own trail food, you've come to the right place. We have some leading experts in that sort of thing. Poke around in the archives of the Lite Food Talk forum.

And check out Sarbar's web site. She's the Queen of home dehydration and freezer bag cooking around these parts. I know I've got a link for that somewhere. (...pats at all his pockets absent mindedly)

#158368 - 12/06/11 10:36 PM Re: New Member [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Sarbar's website, Trailcooking.com, is the one I linked to in my post above. Lots of awesome ideas, hints on dehydration, lots of recipes using supermarket ingredients.

#158381 - 12/07/11 02:54 AM Re: New Member [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Buying gear is a whole hall of mirrors that will make you crazy because of so many choices, both good and bad. Same for clothes/

For a first time gear buyer, unless you have a lot of discretionary income, I recommend going easy on buying "the best" whatever that anyone recommends. As with many things, it is not the answer, but asking the right question that is important.

One way to start is by reading The Complete Walker, considered by many the Bible of backpacking; not so much for choosing any one piece of gear, but for how to look at what you need=as systems, not individual pieces bought at random.

Example-I winter camp so my gear and clothing selection is primarily for that season, although I can adjust my gear list for other seasons in California, where I live. Look at the gear lists posted here (start at the site's home page) to see various lists. I keep my gear and clothes simple as possible, but other people have jackets for every occasion.

Another choice for gear is buying used. BUT, you need to know what you are looking at and what things are worth. However, there is a lot of poorly made stuff on eBay that is not worth the price, no matter how cheap it is. Never buy anything unless you are sure what it is.

Edited by TomD (12/07/11 03:12 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum