Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157420 - 11/14/11 07:11 PM MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
All

I'm thinking of copying DJ2's carbon fiber external frame backpack (see the threads "Very Light Pack Frame" and "9.5 ounce external frame backpack" in this listing). As I'm not much of a tailor, I think I want to use an already manufactured set of shoulder straps and waistbelt. Cheap is good, as this is a first attempt. Anybody have a source for this sort of thing, beyond using military surplus ALICE gear?

Sincerely

Steadman

#157442 - 11/14/11 10:20 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
UnknownDIY Offline

Here are the straps removed from a Coleman Max. No cutting. It velcro's in place into a set of webbing on the pack body. Maybe not perfect for what you want, being a central mount rather than two separate straps, but pretty cheap.

Edited by UnknownDIY (11/14/11 10:20 PM)

#157468 - 11/15/11 11:06 AM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics has a pair of shoulder straps you can just buy. Or you can cut some off of an old school bag.

#157487 - 11/15/11 01:56 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have found great waist belts and shoulder straps on used packs sold at 2nd hand stores. One can often get the entire pack cheaper than buying new belts and straps.

Here's a link to more info on the pack itself.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...thread_id=40531

dj2

#157491 - 11/15/11 03:05 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: DJ2]
Steadman Offline

Thank you!!!

Couple questions:

1) Where are you buying the fittings that connect the carbon fiber spars?

2) How do you cut the carbon fiber spars safely? I seem to recall that there are issues with splintering when doing this.

3) What kind of glue are you using to cap the carbon fiber spars?

With Great Respect

Steadman

#157516 - 11/15/11 11:28 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
DJ2 Offline

Steadman,

The spars can be cut with a fine toothed hack saw blade. Put some tape around the spar before cutting to reduce splintering.

I've plugged the ends with solid fiberglass or solid carbon fiber rods and glued them in with super glue (aka ca glue). Epoxy would also work. For that matter almost any glue would probably work.

Glue and rods and a whole bunch of other stuff can be bought at Kitebuilder. Here's a link:

http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/produ...e59ecbaea89e211

The nylon barbed plumbing fittings are sold in the plumbing section. Their intended use is for connecting flexible tubing. The tubing is slipped over the barbed ends of the fittings. My favorite is the 1/2" black nylon T. Here's a link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#barbed-tube-fittings/=eybi3b

Best of luck on your project. With a little experience I think you'll find that it is pretty easy to put together a frame.
dj2

#157528 - 11/16/11 10:00 AM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Epoxy / Araldite glue works best. Bonds with the resin.

#157543 - 11/16/11 12:25 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: frenchie]
DJ2 Offline

Frenchie,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

dj2

#157545 - 11/16/11 12:33 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
DJ2 Offline

Steadman,

Here's some info on making your own shoulder straps in case you change your mind.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...thread_id=41336

Daryl

#157625 - 11/17/11 01:01 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: DJ2]
Steadman Offline

Very cool.

How well do you think it would work with a hip belt?

I'm looking around a craigslist locally to see what I can find for a cheap used external frame pack as well, but this looks cheaper and simpler than retrofitting something that someone else built.

#157648 - 11/18/11 02:23 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
DJ2 Offline

Steadman,

It would probably work well for a waist belt too. I haven't tried it, however.

You can eliminate shoulder straps completely if you use a front bag. I haven't used shoulder straps for years.

The simplest waist belt would be one made of 2" wide nylon with a 2" wide quick release buckle that adjusts on both ends (you don't have to sew the buckle onto the webbing). Check out the 2" double adjustable side release buckle at this link:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/side.html

I have been using unpadded waist belts for a couple of years now. If they fit well I don't miss the padding at all. The belt fits me well if I simply cut it in half and sew it back together so the two pieces slope slightly upward from the back center (where the belt would cross my spine).

dj2

#157655 - 11/18/11 08:53 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: DJ2]
Steadman Offline

I think I understand what you are saying here. I need to go out and check on what I can acquire locally, and then start playing with the project.

Have you ever drilled holes in the carbon fiber poles? I'm thinking about tapping holes in the cross pieces for attaching the shoulder straps and putting in the load lifters, but I'm not sure how much that would weaken the stength of the pole.

#157667 - 11/19/11 03:39 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
DJ2 Offline

I don't think the carbon fiber poles will tolerate any holes without losing most of their strength.

An aluminum tubing cross bar will tolerate a lot of holes. I use a thin wall 5/8" od aluminum tube for the top cross bar if I need to drill holes. It slips right over the 1/2" barbed plumbing fittings.

Take a look at the ZPacks Exo pack for a method of attaching shoulder straps without drilling holes in the carbon fiber spars. Here's a link:

http://zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml

Edited by DJ2 (11/19/11 03:42 PM)

#157690 - 11/20/11 09:59 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: DJ2]
Steadman Offline

That system makes all kinds of sense.

I'm pricing this out before I place an order and get stuff, and I have 3 more questions:

1) Just to confirm, these are the nylon tees you were talking about for connecting the frame together, and for connecting the frame to the hipbelt:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-barbed-tube-fittings/=f0upmb

2) You still prefer the Skyshark P400 tubing for a frame for carrying 30-40 pounds?

3) Do you use the .240 ferrules that Kitemaster sells to plug the ends of the rods, or does the .25 OD fiberglass solid rods work if you finagle them a little?

Sorry to ask all these questions; this is so very cool, and I'd like to get as close to right the first time as I can.

#157695 - 11/21/11 01:16 AM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
DJ2 Offline

Steadman,

Your questions:

#1 Yes, your link is heading toward the nylon Ts I use but you must further select color, type of barb and size. Only the size is crucial. I use the 1/2" Ts.

#2 Yes, Skyshark 400 or something comparable for 30-40 lbs. My wife's pack is using no-name fiberglass tubing but she rarely carries more than about 20 lbs.

#3 Yes I have used the .240 ferrules. Either carbon fiber or fiberglass is fine. I haven't tried the .25od ferrules and probably wouldn't use them. The id of the Skyshark 400s is .244. It is much easier to add a bit more glue than to wittle down a ferrule. You might also be able to just plug the ends with epoxy but I haven't done this so I can't speak from experience.

Daryl

#157703 - 11/21/11 12:52 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: Steadman]
DJ2 Offline

Steadman,

Here's a link to some photos showing details of my latest pack. (I couldn't figure out how to make it a hot link so you will have to copy and paste it. Sorry. Anyone know how to make this a hot link?)

Link to pictures...

The small machine screw you see in the top corners of the frame are from McMasterCarr. They are 4-40 size, stainless(18-8), pan head, phillips, 3/4" long with matching nylon insert locking nuts.

The 5/8" buckles sticking out of the top corners are where I attach the front bag to the frame.

The string (100 lb kite string)you see goes from the top corners of the frame to loops on the waist belt. It is cinched tight and holds the frame together.

The back bag has two loops that simply go over the top corners of the frame. Two velcro loops lower down then go around the vertical members of the pack frame. The front and back bags can both be removed from the frame without taking the frame apart.

The two 1/2" wide webs coming from the waist belt attach to my front bag bottom (or to shoulder straps if you use them).

The 1/2" webs coming from the waist belt and the top corners of the frame are run through the T fittings and then knotted. The thickness of the web makes for a nice snug fit for the spar within the nylon Ts.

The 5/8" aluminum top bar makes a good handle to lift the pack. I dimpled the ends a little to encourage it to stay on the nylon T. You could also use a carbon fiber cross top bar and run it inside the T instead of over it.

Enjoy.

dj2

Edited by DJ2 (11/21/11 04:45 PM)

#157708 - 11/21/11 04:46 PM Thanks [Re: DJ2]
DJ2 Offline

Thanks for the hot link Bill. It was delicious.

#157728 - 11/21/11 10:31 PM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: DJ2]
Steadman Offline

Daryl

Thank you. That was very comprehensive, and answered questions I should have asked, but didn't understand well enough to. I think I can do this. I aim to have a parts list together this next week, and then put this together over Christmas and New Years.

Sincerely

Steadman

#157735 - 11/22/11 09:33 AM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: DJ2]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Dj, did you put a reinforcement patch behind (inside) the two main loops that hold the bag? I would think that those are the two main stress points that carry all the weight.

#157740 - 11/22/11 10:56 AM Re: MYOG - External Frame backpack - DJ2 style [Re: finallyME]
DJ2 Offline

finallyME,

Good point on the reinforcement patches. I agree that these are the two main stress points.

Short Answer
There are two 2" X 2" patches of adhesive insignia cloth on the inside of the bag at the two attachment points. They are glued and sewn to the fabric. Reliability of this particular combo hasn't been fully tested.

Longer Answer
I'm experimenting with various hardware, fabrics and reinforcements to determine how light I can go. So my goal is to work my way down to a bag that self destructs, then to return to the last, lightest one that held up well.

The bag in the photos is made of uncoated, low quality 1.1 ounce ripstop with minimum reinforcements. I've used it for about a month, on a daily basis, carrying up to 30 lbs for distances of about 1/2 mile. It is too early to say whether or not it will hold up for the long haul, however.

Previous bags were made of uncoated, good quality 1.9 ounce ripstop with more reinforcments. For reinforcements I typically would add a 1" X 24" long piece of light nylon webbing running vertically inside the bag under and below each of the main loops from which the bag hangs. I've also experimented with including 1" wide seams in this area. All of these prior experiments have held up well with years of in field testing.

dj2

#157742 - 11/22/11 11:01 AM Kitebuilder Order Delays [Re: Steadman]
DJ2 Offline

Steadman,

Ordering things from Kitebuilder has been taking a long time. I placed a small order with them almost a month ago and I don't think it has been sent yet. Another person said they have been waiting months for an order to be delivered.

dj2

#159885 - 01/08/12 10:27 AM Re: Kitebuilder Order Delays [Re: DJ2]
PappyBanjo Offline

Loc: Maryland
This looks way more comfortable than my old CampTrails external frame that ways 5 lbs when empty. Its also a good choice for my 13 yr old since I can replace the carbon tubes as he grows.

BTW, amazon.com has them for about $4 each. I've found everything else at local fabric and hardware stores.

#159886 - 01/08/12 11:56 AM Re: Kitebuilder Order Delays [Re: PappyBanjo]
DJ2 Offline

Cool. Best of luck on your project.

There are a lot of ways to go, design wise. Don't feel constricted by the way I did it.

My wife's pack, for example, uses some no name fiberglass spars for the vertical frame members. They are quite flexible but she likes them that way.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum