Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157509 - 11/15/11 09:45 PM A few Hammock questions.
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I had a couple rough nights in my hammock on my last trip. I kept sliding out, either my head and shoulders, or my feet. Now, my "Byer Mosquito Hammock" is about the least expensive one you can find, so I'm wondering about a few things.

What is the length and width of a good hammock?

I'm thinking the Byer is maybe just too short for me, and possibly not wide enough either. I'm not very big, probably about 5'9", and not very wide either, but no matter how I set the sag on that Byer I still seem to be too close, or hanging over, the ends either way.

The other thing is, after dinking around with it now for 4-5 trips, it seems that between the tarp, hammock, pads, tree huggers, guy lines, and stakes, it's a bit of a hassle to set up, and with all that together it's not really all that light as compared to some tents. So I'm not convinced they offer a big advantage in either of those areas anymore and I'm beginning to think more about using just a tarp, ground cloth, and pad.

If I could get the hang of them, they do offer a big advantage in being able to use it most anywhere around here, where there are trees everywhere, the ground is usually uneven and rocky with lots of expose roots and undergrowth, and way more often than not you're on the side of a hill.

I know that to a large degree, using one, or not, is a personal preference, but I'd really like to hear from others why, or why not, you use one.

Has anyone here, after going through the learning curve, decided a hammock just wasn't for them?

I seem to be heading that way, but I don't want to jump to a conclusion before I get some experienced based opinions, and I don't think I could really get a range of objective opinions asking this on the hammock forum, while I know for sure I will here wink

"You want to go where?"

#157513 - 11/15/11 10:05 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
lori Offline

If you have a look at the Hennessy website, you can see the specs on the Ultralight Backpacker - comparing them to the Warbonnet Blackbird you see that they are roughly the same amount of fabric. Yet when I started out, I was not entirely comfortable in the UB and now I am completely comfortable in the Blackbird, which I have even attempted to hang badly and still been able to sleep through the night. So it isn't the size, at least not entirely, that makes the hang comfortable. The Blackbird has the footbox and a full length side zip - I think those things affect the shape the hammock takes while you are in it. Both hammocks have ridgelines, so both should have been easy to hang in.

There are a lot of different kinds of hammocks. I think most of them are probably going to be easier than the Byer smile - I had a complete noob set up my Blackbird last weekend and sleep in it. He normally car camps with a full size camp mattress, six inches of air with blue foam over the top and a sheet, and doesn't sleep too well at all. In the Blackbird he snored and snoozed away the night neatly cocooned in underquilt/top quilt... he is sold and wants to order his own. Granted I did show him how to get it all set up and the proper angle for maximum snoozing comfort (the support ropes should be at a 30 degree angle from the hammock to the tree).

I will suggest going to Amazon and getting The Ultimate Hang - it is a synthesis of all the goodness of Hammock Forums without the forum, summarized and illustrated and boiled down to make it easier for the novice hammocker to understand what might be going awry with the hammock they have and what to do about it. It's available electronically as well.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#157517 - 11/15/11 11:41 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Thank you Lori. The book sounds like a great resource.

A quick look at the Hennessy site shows most of their lighter hammocks are 100" x 48". There's one model that's 108" x 55" and they say it will work for people 6-7' tall.

Mine is 83" x 50", so the length might be a big part of my problem. If that's the case I have to wonder if bigger isn't better when it comes to comfort. To a point, it kind of makes sense that it does.

"You want to go where?"

#157521 - 11/16/11 12:42 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By billstephenson
Thank you Lori. The book sounds like a great resource.

A quick look at the Hennessy site shows most of their lighter hammocks are 100" x 48". There's one model that's 108" x 55" and they say it will work for people 6-7' tall.

Mine is 83" x 50", so the length might be a big part of my problem. If that's the case I have to wonder if bigger isn't better when it comes to comfort. To a point, it kind of makes sense that it does.

Yes it is bill. I have several hammocks. a hennesey (pretty good) a Speer 8.5C (which I really like) a WBB blackbird (*very comfortable, but heavy) and a grand trunk nano-7 (very very light)

the nano is a lot shorter and skinner - it's also not as luxurious as some of the bigger hammocks.

google up "risk's test hammock" - I'm sure you've seen it before. All you need then is a regular width of materiel on a bolt - often 55 or 60 inches wide. The wider hammock and longer hammock is easier to go diagonal in. go make a risk
hammock with some wally world materiel and try it out a bit.

a longer hammock can be a little bit harder to get a good hang in thougth, ymmv..

I personally find getting the "right" hang for me is more important than the size, but it's a matter of individual taste.
Browse my pictures

#157523 - 11/16/11 08:32 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
I'm not familiar with Byers, but I can't imagine it being so small that you're spilling out of it being no larger than you are. I'm just under 6' and 200 pounds, and I've never run out of room on either the ENO singlenest that I used initially, or the Clark Ultralight that I have now.

As far as set-up hassles, one of the reasons I chose a Clark is the all-in-one design. The bug netting is permanently attached and fully zippered and the sil-nylon fly is easily detached with two clips. I can hang it in about 3 minutes with a simple bowline knot in each tree rope. About another 3 minutes or so to stake out the fly. Total weight is just under 3 pounds. I can't imagine getting that much comfort on the ground for the same weight.

I initially wanted to give hammocks a try for the reasons you listed: no shortage of places to hang in the woods, no worries about roots, rocks, creepy crawlies, finding a flat spot, or drainage from heavy rain. After sleeping better the first night in a hammock than I ever did on the ground, I was hooked.

#157526 - 11/16/11 09:35 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
If I remember correctly, my hammock is 9ft X 5 ft. I have a friend who has an ENO that I can not lay flat in, no matter how I set it up. I am 5'11". I also made a few hammocks that seemed to not get me the desired hang. So, I decided to make the Hennessy copy that is shown on Hammock Forums and decided to make it long. Personally, I think that the way you gather the ends, and the length and width play a huge role in whether you can get it to lay correctly.

#157527 - 11/16/11 09:57 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
lori Offline

Bigger is part of the solution, true. It's easier to get flat in an ENO doublenest than a single. The Mayan hammocks are absolutely huge to the point that you can lay flat horizontally in them. But that perhaps is less practical than minimizing the amount of fabric you're carrying around.

The flattest and most stable hammock is going to be a bridge. They look like fabric bathtubs.

#157531 - 11/16/11 10:14 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: finallyME]
UnknownDIY Offline

my Hennessy DIY clone finishes out to 10' x 52". The tarp, stakes, and all go in the attached sidebag. I can pretty much attach a strap (I don't use tree huggers) pull everything to the other strap, stake out my tarp and I am done. Been messing with hammocks for years now. I still like to tarp tent. For some hammocking seems to be a lifestyle choice, and I am on hammock forums on and off, but I want to take the shelter that I think will work where I am going, not force something to work where it shouldn't. once you add a top quilt and underquilt to carry, I don't see many advantages over a tarp tent. So I guess for me, after a fair amount of use, a hammock is another tool, not the only one.

#157534 - 11/16/11 10:37 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: UnknownDIY]
lori Offline

I've actually done some weighing to sort it out.

NeoAir medium - 13 oz
20F quilt - 22 oz
tarp - 15 oz
groundsheet 2mm plastic - 3oz
53 oz setup
times waking up at night: 5-10
Advantage: a few ounces lighter than the tarptent

NeoAir medium - 13 oz
tarptent sublite sil - 24 oz
20F quilt - 22 oz
59 oz setup
times waking up at night: 5-10
Advantage: lighter than other solutions, bug protection, sets up easily even on rock

Blackbird hammock - 28 oz (whoopie slings instead of the stock straps)
2 20F quilts 44 oz
tarp - 15 oz
93 oz total
times waking up at night: 0, nada, zip, even when some doof tripped over the guyline.
Advantage: ready to hike 20 miles tomorrow, waking early without groaning about it, no stiffness or soreness, warm, weather worthy, bug protection, off the ground

Sierra Designs Lightning XT solo tent, double wall - 50 oz
NeoAir medium - 13 oz
20F quilt - 22 oz
75 oz total
times waking up at night: back to 5-10 times
Advantage: ???? I guess if I had to set up in sand it would be easier than the non freestanding tarp or tarptent

Blackbird hammock - 28 oz (whoopie slings instead of the stock straps)
20F quilt 22 oz
NeoAir - 13 oz
tarp - 15 oz
78 oz total
times waking up at night: 1 or 2
Advantage: have pad to sleep on ground if needed, weather worthy, off the ground

I've always had difficulty understanding people who are willing to sacrifice sleep and suffer the sore joints. But I guess there are those who think 20 oz is a huge difference. I'll just leave the playing cards, bucket, extra meal and some water out, and filter more often.

#157580 - 11/16/11 08:36 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

The test hammock is a great idea, and I have a bolt of material to use for it too. Thanks a bunch for that suggestion phat.

I'll get that book. Hmmm... Maybe if I put it on my "List" my kids might even get it for me smile

It makes sense that the shortest one you're comfortable in is what you'd want. But seeing the Hennessys are 17" longer to start with, I'm pretty sure that's an issue.

The Byer did work better when I used my blue foam pad in it. That's what I've done different since the first few times I used it. But even then it wasn't quite comfortable.

If possible, I'd rather only use my bubble foil pad. That kept me warm on my last few trips and the one I'm using now is half the thickness as that I used last season. It packs down a lot smaller and it's lighter to boot. The blue foam by itself doesn't do much to keep me warm, but it does a lot to shape the hammock.

"You want to go where?"

#157586 - 11/16/11 08:59 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Those comparisons are great Lori. You've certainly inspired me to keep trying!

You're right, you have to be comfortable to sleep good and that's what I'm shooting for. I'll look into the Blackbird some more. I've peeked at it, but I'll learn more about it now.

Down quilts are a ways off for me. But once I'm not hanging out of the darn thing I can start playing with that concept.

Thank you all. I'll keep pecking away at it...

"You want to go where?"

#157587 - 11/16/11 09:13 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: UnknownDIY]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By UnknownDIY
I want to take the shelter that I think will work where I am going, not force something to work where it shouldn't. once you add a top quilt and underquilt to carry, I don't see many advantages over a tarp tent. So I guess for me, after a fair amount of use, a hammock is another tool, not the only one.

Absolutely.

I'm finding that a big part of lightening your load is twiddling with things till you get it tuned in and know what to expect. The hammock thing is still pretty new to me, and I see some advantages that are significant for some of the places I want to go, but these last few trips I had to admit I need to change some things if I'm going to keep using one.

The tarp tent isn't something I'd use a lot here. Bugs and snakes are hunkered down this time of year, so a tarp is a better choice. A lot of times you don't even need that. A ground cloth and pad will do. But I've always carried a tent before, and none of them were free standing, and finding a clear spot and setting stakes can be tough here.

If I can get it right, a hammock and a tarp would be the set up for the Ozarks.

"You want to go where?"

#157593 - 11/16/11 10:44 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: finallyME]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
I think that the way you gather the ends, and the length and width play a huge role in whether you can get it to lay correctly.

I watched some video on that at "risk's" site and the way they folded it made a lot of sense. The Byer has a sewn in cord that is weaved back and forth and into a loop to hang it from. I think the cords going to the center are also a bit too short, but there is no way to adjust them without undoing them entirely and I'm not that good with weaving rope.

But just making the hammock itself longer does the same thing the cords do on the Byer, so I don't see the advantage of adding them.

I'll have to play around like you have.

"You want to go where?"

#157596 - 11/16/11 10:56 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
Quigley Offline

Loc: Alabama, USA
I'm truly a novice at hammocks. Wasn't sure if it was fior me and not being someone who spends money he doesn't have too I tried making one out of a tarp first. Found out a 8x10 was to small when folded in half length wise so I got a 10x12. Set it up in the yard between trees and it truly felt pretty comfortable.
Later that same week I happened to be near a Sportmans Warehouse and saw a Grand Trunk hammock for 20 bucks, so home with me it came. When I set it up, and the tarps, I just used some 1/4 nylon rope I had to make 2 hangers. Ended up in the woods that next week to try it out and found my set up worked fine. Was definently a learning experience for me but I don't think I'll ever go back to a tent and the ground.
Worst part of the trip for me was being extremely cold because I didn't have a proper bag. Have that problem fixed and plan to head to the woods again this weekend.

#157598 - 11/16/11 11:10 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Nano 7 with spectra dogbones
instead of biners, whoopies - 8.5 oz
merlin -3C bag 20oz
ID Silwing tarp with lines 15 oz
sgt rock style tule bug sock 0.5 oz
Blue foam pad 14 oz

58.5 oz. - that's about as light as I can get with a hammock.
(I could maybe lose 8 or 9 oz if I bought a cuben tarp)

good sleep if it's warm and not windy, if it's not at least have to add ID silponcho underneath, add 12oz - so call that 70 oz with reasonably weatherproof and bugproof - however I would call this a rig for "experienced" hammock users. Add at least 30oz for a bigger tarp and bigger hammock for "luxury" trips.

Prolite Short 10oz
Merlin -3C bag 20oz
Black Diamond One Shot 38oz

68 oz - not as good a sleep in calm weather Very good in cold and exposed stuff. add 12 oz for -15C bag (WM) however I could probably sleep through a hurricane on an exposed ridge in this thing. Yes I may wake up a few times, but believe me, I love my hammock, but this weighs less than my blackbird rig, sets up in no time, and when I'm sitting up miles away from any tree in high alpine, man I can sleep good in this listening to a storm outside and reading my book or kindle.

Prolite Short 10oz
Merlin -3C 20oz
SMD Lunar Solo 26oz

56 oz - still good in cold - not as good in wind and exposure as the BD Fully bugproof

Browse my pictures

#157615 - 11/17/11 09:39 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill, when I first started hammocking a walmart net "pocket hammock" is what I "endured". grin Nothing else was out there. It caught on everything, allowed for one sleeping position, but it was still better than being on rocky ground. I then decided to make my own hammocks and began with a 10' sheet of ripstop. I'm 5'10" and that length worked for me. I learned that making the sides about 2" shorter than the middle made a huge difference in comfort and sleeping positions...neither head nor feet fall out, and you can sleep flat. You might try shortening your Byers sides slightly and see if it helps anything. You can likely loop the outside suspension lines (?) around your attach rope to do that. That's how I adjust my Mexican hammocks on the patio. So, you can tie suspension lines (sheetbends) to an uncut bolt of fabric and get your length right before you cut and sew. That way you aren't guessing.
Later, I bought a second generation Hennessey directly from Tom(now called a Scout), which seemed to fit me fine and I've been using it and an Exped Assym. Never saw the need to move on from the Hennessey's as they worked great from the start. I still prefer the Scout over the Exped. A 3/4 Ridgerest is my insulation and sometimes hang a mylar survival blanket as a wind blocker underneath, but that's it. No biners, dogbones, treehuggers, extra suspension lines, whoopie slings, snakeskins, over/underquilts, etc....I tried all that but still like to keep it spartan. I rarely tie out the hammock sides and typically don't use the fly unless it's really cold/windy or weather is expected.
It's clear, after reading a gazillion hammock discussions and camping with a few hammockers, it's all a personal preference thing. What works for someone else may not work for you. The point is...a good nights sleep and easy setup. I worked to that end with as simple a system as possible. Making your own hammocks, I highly recommend. You'll learn what works for you and they make good loaners, and 'converts'. wink

Oh...my only keeper mod on the Henneseys is Amsteel Blue skinny suspension lines. That saved some weight over the stock lines and even allowed some extra length.

#157617 - 11/17/11 10:09 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By billstephenson
Originally Posted By finallyME
I think that the way you gather the ends, and the length and width play a huge role in whether you can get it to lay correctly.

I watched some video on that at "risk's" site and the way they folded it made a lot of sense. The Byer has a sewn in cord that is weaved back and forth and into a loop to hang it from. I think the cords going to the center are also a bit too short, but there is no way to adjust them without undoing them entirely and I'm not that good with weaving rope.

But just making the hammock itself longer does the same thing the cords do on the Byer, so I don't see the advantage of adding them.

I'll have to play around like you have.

The one I am using now, I copied from a DIY on Hammock forums called "My take on DIY Hennessy Hammock". It is a sticky in the DIY section. He gathers his ends slightly different than the way Risk does. If I were you, I would try both ways and see which is better.

#157624 - 11/17/11 10:56 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: lori]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By lori
The flattest and most stable hammock is going to be a bridge. They look like fabric bathtubs

my gf has the JRB bridge hammock and loves it. She can sleep on her side, back and stomach. We haven't had any problems with underquilts fitting it.

There is a downside to it if you have broad shoulders. To me it seems confining but to her it doesn't.

Check out hammockforums for folks selling hammocks. seems they all are looking for that perfect lay

#157651 - 11/18/11 04:09 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: Ewker]
UnknownDIY Offline

Hennessey clone. The material is 230 denier coated. Some of you may recognize this from hammock forums.

A shot of the peak. I sewed it like this so I could attach a zipper all the way around.

The whoopie and gathered end. I know what you are talking about with the strung end of the Byer. I am not a fan of that set up, for many reasons.

A weight test. The horse tank, full of water, plus the hammock also full, came out to 990 plus pounds. The braided nylon rope whoopie snapped at the bury. I do not have stretching problems with a 1/2 inch nylon whoopie, but do tend to use an internal ring/ strap/ climbing rated carabiner for my suspension attachment. I have several suspension setups, whoopies only, poly straps/carabiner combo,s, lightweight cambuckle, etc.

The whole kit and kaboodle in the side bag. That is hammock, tarp, stakes, straps and lines, all together, in the side bag. It weighs a lot, due to the hammock body material, and the zip off half bug net/ hardshell combo.

From what I have heard and read, the Warbonnet Blackbird seems to be the favored camping (and military use) hammock.

#157749 - 11/22/11 03:04 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: UnknownDIY]
billstephenson Offline

Thanks for the photos!

All this has really got my gears turning and I now I need to get my hands on some silnylon.

"You want to go where?"

#157762 - 11/22/11 10:07 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
lori Offline

Silnylon? Try plain old ripstop. It breathes better.

#157773 - 11/23/11 02:21 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Okay... Thanks, I appreciate the help, especially since I haven't bought anything yet smile

I'm still not at all familiar with the different fabrics used for gear. I've never really paid that much attention to it. But now that I'm trying my hand a bit at making and modifying gear I have to learn about it. So far, googling the subject hasn't gotten me very far frown

"You want to go where?"

#157787 - 11/24/11 12:28 AM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill, I've made impromptu hammocks from bed sheets and blankets and some ski rope, so just about any fabric will work.
Uncoated ripstop or taffeta works fine. Walmart in these parts has a $2/yard rack and I've found all my hammock fabrics there. (back when it was $1/yard. ) grin
Make sure it's uncoated. Coated won't breath.

#157941 - 11/28/11 02:55 PM Re: A few Hammock questions. [Re: billstephenson]
kevbo610 Offline

Loc: columbus georgia
i have a 'military hammock' that was gave to me. i used it on my last hitchhiking trip.; i am hooked! it is nice for sleeping between trees on hillsides. i just put foam in the bottom and put my blanket in there and slept pretty good. it is hard to get used to because i tend to roll onto my stomach a lot, but i will manage. i will keep using it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum