Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157458 - 11/15/11 09:31 AM Long walk gear recommendations....
Merlyn Offline

Loc: Colorado
Good morning, everyone!

So I hope this is in the right place- I'm (real) new to backpacking...

I am planning a very extended walk (several months) come the first of the year, and I would very much appreciate some gear suggestions.

I'll be primarily following the road, except for the occasional side trip to go see things (Hey THAT looks cool!).

I'll be starting off in the desert SW (just south of Raton, NM) and spending the rest of the winter in NM, AZ and NV. I expect to hit California in early/mid spring near Reno.

I am more concerned about overall cost than I am about weight - but since I am going to be on the road a while, quality is paramount. I'll carry a few extra pounds to save a few bucks, but everything I buy has to LAST.

I've been reading on here all morning, and I have already decided against the military MOLLE II ruck I was going to buy in favor of a decent internal frame pack. I'm thinking I'd rather have a more comfortable pack than a claymore mine pocket.

I am working up a preliminary gear list now (that's today's project) and any suggestions you folks could offer along the lines of things I'll need and haven't thought of, or have on my list and won't need would be greatly appreciated. Brands/models and why you favor them would be handy, too.

Here's what I got so far (no brands/models... I am still researching that)

1: Internal Frame backpack, 5000+ CI
2: Army issue 4 part sleep system (http://www.amazon.com/Military-Modular-Sleep-System-Goretex/dp/B002LLPILC)
3: Lightweight 1-2 person tent (with a bottom - if I can seal my tent at night, I stand less of a chance of waking up with a rattlesnake on my chest)
4: First Aid/field trauma kit
5: Camp stove (butane?)
6: Minimal cooking set (pot and a pan) for wild greens and maybe the occasional rabbit
7: Clothing (2-3 changes of clothes and a coat?)
8: stuff sack for #7, doubles as a pillow
9: Food (I was thinking 6 days worth at a time, since decent trail food or even MREs is not something you can pick up at the flying J truckstop)
10: Water (1 3L camelback full at all times, with a second one on hand I can fill up if I hit a spot where the next town/gas station is more than a day's walk away)
11: More water (canteen for food prep and brushing my teeth and such)
12: Rain poncho
13: Compass
14: Knife (fixed blade)
15: E-Tool
16: Sewing Kit
17: Solar charger for my cell phone/ipod
18: Water purification gadget
19: Water purification pills as backup
20: magnesium firestarter
21: Towel
22: Flashlight
23: 550 cord (50'?)

That's what I can think of so far. How far off base am I?

Thanks!
Merlyn

Edited by Merlyn (11/15/11 10:02 AM)

#157461 - 11/15/11 10:23 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
lori Offline

Set aside the gear for a minute - potable water sources on your route? resupply stops? contingency planning?

I see some pretty long stretches of road without towns. It's also illegal to walk along (or hitch hike on) interstate highways. There aren't a lot of side roads...

There are a lot of lighter kinds of gear, and there are folks here who do desert hiking who can make suggestions... but the logistics need some thought.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#157466 - 11/15/11 10:56 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Since you're real new to backpacking, it strikes me that you might want to start out with a somewhat more modest shake-down trip, as soon as you can do it, perhaps a week or two. With as much borrowed/rented gear as you can so you don't commit to buying stuff and then regretting.

"More concerned with overall cost than with weight": I suggest that you rethink that, and be concerned about both of them. If you're out for months, spending a little discretionary money --- or time --- to work towards a lower base weight makes a big difference in a pack that you'll be carrying much of the day for months. Look into MYOG forums here and on BPL (backpackinglight.com) as well as for gear sales to see where you can make or buy lighter versions of things for less money.

Since what you're doing is along the line of thru-hiking, I suggest that you look at some thru-hiker gear lists to get a sense for what they carry. The emphasis tends to be on "just the gear I need, little extra weight" --- except typically a couple of personal luxury items that vary with the individual. Just as a convenient (for me) example, here's my starting gear list for the CDT this year: http://www.nwlink.com/~brianle/Gadget_CDT_2011_Gear_List.pdf
This was for an early season start (lots of snow) in Glacier National Park in June, and came out to around a 20 pound base weight (weight of pack minus consumables --- food, water, stove fuel if a stove is carried). By the time I finished in New Mexico, my somewhat wild guess is that I had pared the list down to perhaps a 16 pound base weight, maybe 17 tops. But as water sources are limited as Lori said, and IF you start out armed with good info on where water sources are available (easier on an ~established trail as I was on), then you hopefully won't be struggling under heavy water loads a lot. But it purely sucks to be out there low on water (!). I really have no idea how you would get such information, however. Would you be planning to jump on to private property all along the way to raid windmills?

Anyway, w.r.t. the gear list, one thing you want to look at your gear list for is "completeness". Look at my or other lists and see if you see needed items that you forgot to put on your list. It's your job to review your list for completeness, it's too tedious a task to ask internet strangers to do that for you.

As far as "how far off base are you" --- my intuition is that you're trying to bite off more than your experience base prepares you for. The saving grace is that since you plan to stick to roads (ugh, most thru-hikers opine that extended road walking sucks ...) if you get in trouble it will hopefully not be too hard to hitchhike to somewhere or beg help off of passing strangers. But maybe not, the CDT does a lot of dirt road walking where the roads are very lightly travelled if at all in New Mexico.

Another whole vector to consider are private property issues. If you walk highway, too often it's fenced on both sides of the road; where will you sleep? If bad luck and circumstances require a person to make a no-trace stealth camp on private property one night, that's one thing, but planning to do it every night would be quite another, I think. And FWIW, make property owners even more leery of us scruffy backpacking types. Please in any event don't light fires if so ...
If you walk more back roads, a whole lot of them will have barbed wire fence gates across with "no trespassing" signs. Leased BLM land gets a little ambiguous, often it's tough to know if you're legal on a county road or are indeed walking right onto someone's private land.

I suggest that you think about why you want to do this particular trip; consider equipping for and doing a chunk of, say, the PCT, where you can sort of learn as you go from other long distance hikers along the way. It's very helpful on your first very long journey to have at least some sort of minimal support system like that.

To be clear, I'm not meaning to be patronizing or discouraging, just bringing up issues to consider with my sort of hip-shot reactions. Best of luck whatever you end up doing.

#157469 - 11/15/11 11:10 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: lori]
Merlyn Offline

Route planning.. that's been this week's project, and it's something I am going to keep refining until I walk out the door, most likely.

I was planning on following I25 S from Raton to Albuquerque, and then I-40 to Kingman, AZ, where I pick up 95, which I can follow almost to Reno. I won't be able to walk along the interstate in town, but I can't imagine even the most zealous DPS trooper hassling me much when I am out in the boonies between towns. I am currently figuring out a secondary road route now though, just in case.

As for distance between towns, the longest stretch I have found so far is just under 80 miles, or about 3 days. I am still microscoping the route with google maps looking for a longer stretch than that.

Water is what I am most worried about. I want to try to avoid ever having to carry more than 2 gallons at any point. If I can't get from one water source to another in 72 hours, I am going to have to re-route.

I am spending a lot of my prep time doing things like route planning and mapping supply points. Probably too much time... I need to walk more and plan less :: grin ::

Thanks!
Merlyn

#157472 - 11/15/11 11:34 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Unless you plan on digging fox holes, ditch the etool. The MOLLE 2 is pretty dang comfortable. It is heavy though, and will last your trip. There are better packs out there, but they will cost much more.

If I was doing that route (for some crazy reason), I would seriously look at getting a cart to pull. You will have really long stretches without water sources. You will need to carry a lot more water than you will want on your back.

#157473 - 11/15/11 11:45 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Merlyn

Here's what I got so far (no brands/models... I am still researching that)

1: Internal Frame backpack, 5000+ CI
2: Army issue 4 part sleep system (http://www.amazon.com/Military-Modular-Sleep-System-Goretex/dp/B002LLPILC)
3: Lightweight 1-2 person tent (with a bottom - if I can seal my tent at night, I stand less of a chance of waking up with a rattlesnake on my chest)

Why do you want a bivy and a tent? If you have a fully enclosed tent why would you need a bivy? Also, you will find that backpackers have come up with much better equipment than the military. Check out www.tarptent.com for a tent. Get a down sleeping bag or quilt and and a pad. A tarptent, quilt, and lightweight pad would probably weigh less than that military sleep system.

4: First Aid/field trauma kit

I would suggest backcountry first-aid training

5: Camp stove (butane?)

Check out alcohol stoves

6: Minimal cooking set (pot and a pan) for wild greens and maybe the occasional rabbit
7: Clothing (2-3 changes of clothes and a coat?)
8: stuff sack for #7, doubles as a pillow
9: Food (I was thinking 6 days worth at a time, since decent trail food or even MREs is not something you can pick up at the flying J truckstop)
10: Water (1 3L camelback full at all times, with a second one on hand I can fill up if I hit a spot where the next town/gas station is more than a day's walk away)
11: More water (canteen for food prep and brushing my teeth and such)
12: Rain poncho
13: Compass
14: Knife (fixed blade)

Why fixed blade?

15: E-Tool
16: Sewing Kit

a couple needles and dental floss

17: Solar charger for my cell phone/ipod

its almost always cheaper and lighter to carry spare batteries

18: Water purification gadget
19: Water purification pills as backup
20: magnesium firestarter
21: Towel
22: Flashlight
23: 550 cord (50'?)

That's what I can think of so far. How far off base am I?

Thanks!
Merlyn

I definitely agree with the above advice to get out there and try this before you commit to it. And look at various gear lists available on the web specially thru hikers lists.

#157474 - 11/15/11 11:51 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I want to try to avoid ever having to carry more than 2 gallons at any point. If I can't get from one water source to another in 72 hours, I am going to have to re-route.

If you want to make 2 gallons last for 72 hours, then you must also carry food that does not need to be reconstituted. There won't be enough water to be able to cook anything.

Oh, and when you wash out your pot you should drink the wash water rather than tossing it aside. Oh, and I would not plan on covering my maximum mileage each of those three days; I'd leave myself some safety cushion. To be honest, though, I'd never try to make 2 gallons of water last me for 72 hours in the desert. eek

#157480 - 11/15/11 01:23 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: finallyME]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
Unless you plan on digging fox holes, ditch the etool. The MOLLE 2 is pretty dang comfortable. It is heavy though, and will last your trip. There are better packs out there, but they will cost much more.

If I was doing that route (for some crazy reason), I would seriously look at getting a cart to pull. You will have really long stretches without water sources. You will need to carry a lot more water than you will want on your back.

It may come to that, at least as long as I am in the desert. I'd rather not, but if that's what it takes...

One of the blogs I found when I came up with this idea, the guy did just that. He walked from New York to Oregon pushing a cart: http://imjustwalkin.com/

Merlyn

#157482 - 11/15/11 01:30 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: BZH]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By BZH

Why do you want a bivy and a tent? If you have a fully enclosed tent why would you need a bivy? Also, you will find that backpackers have come up with much better equipment than the military. Check out www.tarptent.com for a tent. Get a down sleeping bag or quilt and and a pad. A tarptent, quilt, and lightweight pad would probably weigh less than that military sleep system.

I'll take a look. The bivy just happens to come with the sleep system. I used one pretty extensively in my brief Army career and was pretty impressed with them. If there are better options - I am not wedded to that particular bag.

Quote:

I would suggest backcountry first-aid training

I have some first aid training (Army, volunteer fire fighter once upon a time). Specifically what additional information should I be pursuing?

Quote:

Check out alcohol stoves

Will do

Quote:
Why fixed blade?

I just generally prefer fixed blade knives. Back when I lived in South Texas and spent a lot of time in the woods, I always carried 2 knives- one fixed blade and one pocket knife.

Quote:

I definitely agree with the above advice to get out there and try this before you commit to it. And look at various gear lists available on the web specially thru hikers lists.

Thanks!

Merlyn

#157483 - 11/15/11 01:34 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: aimless]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By aimless

If you want to make 2 gallons last for 72 hours, then you must also carry food that does not need to be reconstituted. There won't be enough water to be able to cook anything.

Oh, and when you wash out your pot you should drink the wash water rather than tossing it aside. Oh, and I would not plan on covering my maximum mileage each of those three days; I'd leave myself some safety cushion. To be honest, though, I'd never try to make 2 gallons of water last me for 72 hours in the desert. eek

Thanks!

I'll take another look into water requirements for the area. I haven't traveled much in the desert- my experience is more woodland.

Merlyn

#157485 - 11/15/11 01:45 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Merlyn, ask Hikerduane about Tahoe in the early to mid spring...I think its going to be cold with lots of snow. It could be an excellent time to visit the more "deserty" regions. Joshua Tree, the Mojave, and numerous other areas would be great that time of year. There are tons of cool deserts to visit in Arizona and California in spring.

Oh yea, where you go and when will partially dictate what you bring.

Edited by skcreidc (11/15/11 01:46 PM)

#157486 - 11/15/11 01:53 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
lori Offline

There is an accessible article at Backpackinglight.com on thru hiking (usually they require membership to read articles, this one doesn't).

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backpacking_v_thruhiking.html

What you are proposing is essentially a thru on a road... other considerations aside, this might help you develop a frame of mind and help you with some of the gear considerations.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#157494 - 11/15/11 03:58 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The home page of this site, left-hand column, contains lots of articles on gear selection, including gear lists.

There are two reasons for keeping your gear weight as low as you safely can. The first is that you will be walking lots of long-distance days, and doing that with a heavy pack is a good way to develop stress injuries that will take you off the trail. Nearly all the successful hikers of the long distance trails (PCT, AT, CDT) try to keep their base weight to 15 lbs. or less for this reason. You might want to look at some of the long-distance trail journals (especially the PCT and CDT, which have desert sections), many of which include gear lists, to get an idea of what many long-distance hikers carry. You can find these journals at postholer.com and trailjournals.com. Not all will have gear lists, so you'll need to look at a bunch. Try also to pick journals of those who finished or came close to finishing the trail. Actually, BrianLe's journal on postholer.com would be a good place to start--he just finished hiking the Continental Divide Trail from Canada to Mexico last Friday!

The second reason is that with desert hiking, you're going to have to carry large amounts of water. You need at least a gallon per day (8 lbs.) (please don't try to make do with less!), and if you're going where you'll have to carry several days' supply, the weight will multiply in a hurry. You therefore need to keep the rest of your gear light so you have room for all that water.

In some states (I don't know about where you'll be, but certainly up here in the Pacific NW) it is illegal to walk along an interstate highway. You will hate it anyway, with all those snorting trucks going past constantly, the trash and uneven ground off-pavement and (because many of them are fenced) being unable to get off the road except at exits. Brianle has already mentioned the problem of private property. Trespassing on private property could get you into big trouble, such as getting arrested.

There are a number of long-distance trails in the desert (Arizona Trail, Grand Enchantment Trail and others) which would be far more fun than hiking along roads! And since they are mapped and logged, you'll at least know where to find water, legal camping spots and resupply options. If you look in the Long Distance Hiking section here, there's a current thread about hiking the Arizona Trail (it's titled "1 Month on the John Muir" but the poster has decided to hike the Arizona Trail instead). The two sources I mentioned for online trail journals will have journals for these various southwestern trails.

I agree with the others here who say you should take short backpack trips in the desert to gain experience in desert conditions before you start on your long-distance trip.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/15/11 04:17 PM)

#157498 - 11/15/11 05:28 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
BZH Offline

I have some first aid training (Army, volunteer fire fighter once upon a time). Specifically what additional information should I be pursuing?

Multi-use first-aid gear and making do with what is available.

I just generally prefer fixed blade knives. Back when I lived in South Texas and spent a lot of time in the woods, I always carried 2 knives- one fixed blade and one pocket knife.

When your walking around the woods, carrying the extra weight is pretty minimal. As others have mentioned going long distances requires carrying low weights otherwise you open yourself up to stress factors or unnecessary fatigue. Really getting your weight down requires scrutinizing every piece of equipment and cutting out things you don't need.

#157500 - 11/15/11 06:36 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Oregon mouse is right, as usual. Pedestrians are barred from Interstates everywhere. But if you are lucky, you will get a ride in a nice air conditioned police car that will carry you forward. Some sections of interstates and multi land highways are open to bicycles; but it is extremely unpleasant and dangerous. Walking an interstate would be my version of hell on wheels.

Interstates are diabolically,and cleverly, designed to expose you to absolutely the flattest, most boring parts of whatever country they traverse.

Just for reference on water. I once had to start a hike in Tucson at 1PM, temperature 91 degrees. I ran through two gallons of water in five hours, at which point I was still clinically dehydrated. And I was a local resident, fully acclimated. We were hiking very fast, though.

I would recommend crossing the country from one good long trail to another, and using a bus ticket or whatever to skip the boring bits in between. My 2 cents.

#157501 - 11/15/11 06:48 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Thank you for the compliment, but I'm not right all the time! I can only offer my own thoughts/opinions, which may not be everyone else's.

I'm just concerned that if the OP does his trip as he currently plans, he is going to have a very unpleasant time, and I'd hate to see that!

#157502 - 11/15/11 06:58 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
One more thought. The OP might want to consult the cycling cross country routes developed by the Adventure Cycling Association. The also avoid interstates; there is a northern, southern, and central cross country routes. Their maps specify food and water sources, which would be helpful for a hiker. just bear in mind that a cyclist can cover about three times the daily distance covered by a hiker.

#157541 - 11/16/11 11:50 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
Gershon Offline

Merlyn,

Long Walk fever seems to be going around. A lot of people are catching it.

That cart is a pretty good idea. It looks like a modified baby jogger. Schwinn makes a very good one, but it's not real cheap. But you can generally find a model on Craig's list that will work for $50 to $100. Be sure to get one with a brake or it will be a hassle going downhill.

I'm helping a very experienced long distance hiker plan a very long trip. Nevada is the limiting factor now. There is one stretch of 113 miles without water.

Once you find a place with water, give them a call. First to make sure they are still open. And secondly, they may know of a place that's not on the map.

Walking on the interstate is out. You will get a ticket even in the middle of nowhere. However, you can head over 160 by the Grand Canyon and then south to Garrison, Az. From there, there are secondary roads near the interstate all the way to Kingman. There is one 5 mile stretch where the roads aren't on the map, but Google satellite shows a dirt road next to the interstate.

I'd suggest you start walking 10 miles a day starting today and until 2 weeks before you leave. Then you will find if your body can do this. There are things that may not show up in the first week or so.

I'm one of those who finds walking on roads to be interesting. It's just different. It's also more challenging for resupply than the long trails seem to be.

Enjoy the planning and be careful.

#157591 - 11/16/11 10:22 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Gershon]
Merlyn Offline

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I've spent the last couple days going over my proposed with a fine tooth comb, looking for any kind of building along the roads, etc. Back to the drawing board.

I don't expect to make over 10 miles a day the first couple of hundred miles. Starting anywhere near Raton at that pace (or even Las Vegas, NM, my second choice) is just not feasible. Too far between water sources, unless I want to load a cart to the breaking point, or buy me a burro to take along :: grin ::

So - back to route planning. I have the advantage of not caring where I go, or where I start. Maybe I'll start out in SoCal and walk to the White House :: chuckle :: It's only a couple of months farther than my original plan.

Time will tell.

Merlyn

#157611 - 11/17/11 05:37 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
Gershon Offline

The difficulty is you are heading out in the coldest part of the year. The sections of the country that are feasible at that time are limited.

Testing your "go anywhere" statement. You could start out in NW Louisiana, head towards the Florida panhandle and then up to Washington. It's rather easy to avoid the interstates and you can find water every 10 or 15 miles. You can also avoid the big cities if you route carefully.

If it's possible to delay until March, it opens up a lot of possibilities.

#157719 - 11/21/11 07:42 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
Allison Offline

I 100% agree with Brian- great advice! Start out small. I have hiked for many years and have hiked 12 of the NH 4000 footers since the end of May alone, but I don't feel like I could do a long distance (thru hike if you will) at this point. I haven't tested out gear/myself enough with multi-day or week long hikes. I would start smaller and like Brian said, try out gear from others (or rent from shops like REI) until you know your stuff more. I would also take a wilderness first aid class as no supplies, gadgets, tools, or supplies will do you good if you don't know how to use it.

Keep us posted as to what you decide to do!

Allison
4000-footers.blogspot.com

#157744 - 11/22/11 11:34 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Allison]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
""Long Walk fever seems to be going around. A lot of people are catching it.""
Kinda comparable to gold fever. Please be careful and enjoy..

I too have this fever, but not enough time of fund to cure it. So I will have to be content with less.

If you would, Can you explain your fever??

#157747 - 11/22/11 01:28 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: intrek38]
Gershon Offline

Originally Posted By intrek38

I too have this fever, but not enough time of fund to cure it. So I will have to be content with less.

I'm pretty sure if it can be described a person doesn't have it. There is a book "Bodies in Motion" that describes it prettty well. Basically, there are some people that just love to be in motion. They give a lot of scientific theories to explain it so it makes a book.

Not having funding isn't a reason to not take a long walk. Pick two points on opposite sides of the country on Google Maps, make a map and virtually walk it using miles walked at home. Or buy the guidebooks for a favorite trail and do the same thing.

Or set a goal of walking every road in your county like someone did in town here.

You could buy a book like "See you down the trail" by Bert Nemcik and walk the miles needed to get to the next chapter. (He completed the AT.)

There are all kinds of ways to lesson the symptoms. There is no cure. Oh, you may quit walking and start riding a bicycle or motorcycle, but it will always be there. I think one of the symptoms is wondering why everyone else doesn't have it, too.

And buy a lottery ticket every so often. Never know what might happen.

#157816 - 11/25/11 02:34 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
MPCWatkins Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia
Meryln,

I am the poster doing a section of the Arizona Trail that Old Mouse posted about. Great post Old Mouse. Very informative and interesting. Great stuff.

Before I go into anything else, I just wanted to encourage you on your trip. I realize how difficult and daunting it can be to plan a trip like this. So I just wanted to say stick with it an it will be worth it in the end.

Building on what everyone else said about starting small, if you wanted to join me on any section of the AZT you're more than welcome too. It will be a great time to get out and do some backpacking without having to plan anything. Shoot me a message if that is something you're interested in and we can talk more.

All the best

#157912 - 11/28/11 05:18 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
kevbo610 Offline

Loc: columbus georgia
i have hitchhiked and hiked enough to know that ENOUGH SOCKS and GOOD SOCKS are important. dont buy the cheapest pairs at wal-mart. invest. good luck

#157913 - 11/28/11 05:37 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Gershon]
kevbo610 Offline

good post gershon. no, GREAT post, gershon. i get the "fever" to go all the time. to satisfy that urge, i just get out and walk around the woods, or i walk the roads. i always bring something back with me that i have found on my walk. anything from a new stick to carve/whittle on, to the 40mm practice grenade i found. sometimes i take a trash bag a pick up trash. never-ending job there. if i am at my daughters house in town, same thing, just walking the sidewalks. but, i much prefer the country walks. sometimes i pack my sleeping bag and pack and hitchhike for a week or two, or longer. i think it must be the ancient urge to see what is around the next bend or what is over the next rise. i am sure there are people who can write more poetically than me that have covered this. oh, on my last walk out here in the country, i counted 137 cans/bottles in less than 1 mile along the road.

#157914 - 11/28/11 05:38 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: kevbo610]
kevbo610 Offline

sorry i got off point there.

#157919 - 11/28/11 10:56 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: intrek38]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By intrek38

Gershon is absolutely right - it's hard/impossible to explain.

I've felt the need to see what was on the other side of the next hill since I was a kid. Probably explains 100+ moves since I left my folk's house in '89.

In addition to the references already made, you might check out the "Life is a Road" site and books by Daniel Meyer. He's a biker rather than a backpacker, but he understands. He talks a lot about the devastating need to SEE (to use his phrase).

Merlyn

#157922 - 11/28/11 11:13 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: kevbo610]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By kevbo610
i have hitchhiked and hiked enough to know that ENOUGH SOCKS and GOOD SOCKS are important. dont buy the cheapest pairs at wal-mart. invest. good luck

Good advice!

I am planning on wearing pretty heavy smartwool socks over thin wicking socks of some sort (Polypropylene?). And I am taking several (probably 4-5) sets in case of wet feet or multiple days between chances to wash 'em. Little extra weight, but worth it, I think.

Merlyn

#158057 - 11/30/11 08:10 AM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
Gershon Offline

Merlyn, one of the symptoms of "Long Walk Fever" is the need to plan a long walk before being ready for it. It's likely you will find it's not possible yet unless you are very unique. Don't disappear if that happens. Just learn how to get ready.

From your gear choices so far, I can see you will benefit from some practice runs. The alternative is to throw away a lot of things along the way. Either way works.

(Edited to delete Trinidad idea. It's further than I thought.)

I'm helping someone plan a very long walk which he is perfectly capable of doing. I'm halfway through the planning and I've found it's just a series of 20 mile day trips, so that's kind of a magic number.

Edited by Gershon (11/30/11 08:20 AM)

#158169 - 12/01/11 10:49 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Gershon]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon
Merlyn, one of the symptoms of "Long Walk Fever" is the need to plan a long walk before being ready for it. It's likely you will find it's not possible yet unless you are very unique. Don't disappear if that happens. Just learn how to get ready.

From your gear choices so far, I can see you will benefit from some practice runs. The alternative is to throw away a lot of things along the way. Either way works.

(Edited to delete Trinidad idea. It's further than I thought.)

I'm helping someone plan a very long walk which he is perfectly capable of doing. I'm halfway through the planning and I've found it's just a series of 20 mile day trips, so that's kind of a magic number.

Unique? Nope. I'm a fairly typical guy for someone with my (admittedly kinda strange) background and proclivities. But I'm stubborn too, and that plays into many aspects of this trip. No worries - I'm not leaving the board. Between this place and Practical Backpacking, I am picking up too much good information to abandon either one.

I may well can some stuff along the way. :: grin : Keep an eye out for a gear sale along about February. Time and miles will tell. I've already cut nearly 15 pounds off my pack weight, and after a month of lugging around what's left, it's entirely possible I'll have a new outlook on the concept of necessity.

I'm trying to look at this trip as a series of day hikes, but I have to keep the 10-12 (or possibly more) months I am going to be on the road in mind too. Both outlooks come into play. Averaging 20 miles a day, 6 days a week would be excellent... but right on the other hand I'm not on a schedule. If I only make 8 miles on a given day, but see cool stuff and meet interesting people... that is a win, for me.

:: chuckle :: In some ways, this board is the wrong place for me to talk about a trip like this. I am not a backpacker in the same way you folks are. I have different motivations, goals and expectations.

That being said, I am learning a lot here. I've changed a number of things (including my *entire* route, and almost all of my gear list) based strictly on what I have picked up reading this forum and others like it. I have (I like to think) a better idea of what to expect, what to prepare myself for and what I don't have to worry about.

Thank you all for your insight, comments and wisdom.

Michael "Merlyn" Graves

#159441 - 01/01/12 11:06 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
Merlyn Offline

Thought I'd post an update, for any who might be interested.

I am currently in Costa Mesa California, and my walk starts tomorrow morning.

I want to wish you all a phenomenal year in 2012, and the best of luck in all your endeavors.

Merlyn Graves
"In Transit"

#159560 - 01/03/12 05:33 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: Merlyn]
BZH Offline

best of luck!

#159631 - 01/04/12 08:56 PM Re: Long walk gear recommendations.... [Re: BZH]
Merlyn Offline

Originally Posted By BZH
best of luck!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum