Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155602 - 10/10/11 01:42 PM Trekking Poles!
newyorkteg Offline

someone stole my trekking poles so i needed a new pair, their not super cheap so i improvised, had an old set of golf clubs. using a hacksaw cut the club head off two clubs. then cut the grip off 1 club, bam. stick the one into the other and you have a trekking pole. drill a hole threw the top grip and run some para cord thru!. used them on a 3.6 mile hike in the Adirondacks over the weekend, worked perfect.

#155621 - 10/10/11 06:01 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: newyorkteg]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Cool idea!!

And thanks for sharing it. I'm not sure, but I may have some old golf clubs that wouldn't be worth using on the links but might work perfect for trekking poles smile

"You want to go where?"

#155632 - 10/10/11 09:52 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: billstephenson]
newyorkteg Offline

ya i prolly should have mentioned that u wanna use clubs that have graphite shafts! im also working on putting some type of rubber stopper on the bottom or something ill post pics when done

#155641 - 10/10/11 11:59 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: newyorkteg]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By newyorkteg
their not super cheap

I'm not sure of your definition of super cheap, but Walmart has a cam lock pole for around 12 dollars, and a pair of twist lock poles for around 20. The twist lock poles seem to have some type of shock absorber system in them. I'm sure they're way more heavy, and not nearly as well made as a more expensive set, but they'd be better than nothing.

#155656 - 10/11/11 10:58 AM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: james__12345]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I usually just buy used ski poles at the thrift store. They are usually $5. Of course, they don't adjust.

#155682 - 10/11/11 04:52 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: finallyME]
newyorkteg Offline

ya ski poles are another good idea but of course they dnt adjust, the golf clubs break down for easy cary and strap right on to my pack, just wanted to share with you guys.

#157136 - 11/10/11 09:43 AM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: newyorkteg]
anicinabe Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have a problem trekking thru the woods carrying a well known lightning magnet...lol I had the same concerns when I used to camp on the side of a mountain during a thunderstorm while in my aluminum pole-supported tent...

#157137 - 11/10/11 09:51 AM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: anicinabe]
lori Offline

So what you need are a pair of carbon fiber poles and a tarptent that uses them as tent poles. Like me. smile

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#157146 - 11/10/11 11:21 AM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: anicinabe]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Originally Posted By anicinabe
I have a problem trekking thru the woods carrying a well known lightning magnet...

Do you know of any instances in which aluminum trekking poles attracted lightning or served as a pathway?

I know what you are talking about. I was skittering down a forested slope from a bald ridge as an approaching storm came overhead, and I realized that the aluminum pole in my hand was not the best situation. It was easily resolved by laying the pole down and stepping away and hunkering down. I still use that pole. Prevention of potentially disabling slips and falls is a huge plus compared to the theorhetical disadvantage in a lightning storm...The same thing can be said for climbing pro devices.

#157148 - 11/10/11 11:43 AM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: oldranger]
anicinabe Offline

No but just keep thinking of how many golfers have been struck over the years..I do use bamboo cross country ski poles

#157152 - 11/10/11 01:22 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By lori
So what you need are a pair of carbon fiber poles and a tarptent that uses them as tent poles. Like me. smile

I'm pretty sure carbon fiber is a pretty good conductor. Fiberglass, on the other hand, is not.

An old fashion hiking stick made of wood is probably your safest bet if you're worried about carrying a lightning rod wink

"You want to go where?"

#157162 - 11/10/11 04:33 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: billstephenson]
Frankendude Offline

Yes, carbon may be a good conductor but shouldn't increase your chances of a lighting strike.

"It has been found that the 'degree of influence' of metal objects on lightning is proportional to the size of the object. Photographic and laboratory evidence suggests that a conductive object will only attract a lightning channel at a distance at or less than the object's longest vertically-oriented dimension. That is, a three-foot high umbrella will not attract or influence a lightning channel that strikes more than three feet away (see illustration below). A metal earring will only attract a lightning bolt that is less than one-half of an inch away! A house or building may attract a lightning bolt that comes down at or less than a distance equal to its height. In other words, for most objects on the ground, a lightning strike must already be occuring at extremely close range for any attraction effects to come into play. This makes any relevance to safety a moot point, as lightning striking within a few feet of a person standing outside is usually just as lethal as a direct hit."
http://stormhighway.com/lmwn3.shtml

Relax and enjoy!

#157163 - 11/10/11 04:45 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: Frankendude]
lori Offline

#157171 - 11/10/11 07:20 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: lori]
Wolfman Offline

I think their are more likely things to worry about killing you then Lighting. Like getting hit by a train or killed in a air plane crash, On your way to the trail head. wink

I had never used hiking poles before last summer, a hiking stick once in a while, but not a pair of poles. I LOVE MY POLES!!! Best thing for getting my big rear up or down a switch back with a bunch of steps. I also think I hike faster with the poles then I do with out them. Not sure why, probably something to do wit the movement of your arms and legs together.

Wolfman

#157174 - 11/10/11 07:36 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: Wolfman]
lori Offline

You'd be surprised how many people are killed or injured by lightning. Pick up a copy of Shattered Air at the library for a handful of examples.

And trekking poles were one of the first things I bought when I got back into the hiking scene - a fortunate purchase, there are many uses for them. Including pushing the bear bag higher, or dealing with reluctant rattlers.

#157178 - 11/10/11 07:59 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: lori]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Could my pole cunduct lightning? Heck yea. But could I have finished a hike when my knees were bothering me without them? No Way. Love my poles , I had a pair of cheap Kswiss and wife bought me a leike last christmas. Is the leiki better? Not enough to justify cost difference.

#157181 - 11/10/11 09:34 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By lori
You'd be surprised how many people are killed or injured by lightning. Pick up a copy of Shattered Air at the library for a handful of examples.

Yeah, lightning scares me. I've seen where it blew huge pieces out of a hardwood tree that flew for 60 ft and then stuck deep in the ground like a giant spear.

I'd have to agree that trekking poles won't attract lightning to you, or at least not enough to be concerned about that. On the other hand, if you do get smacked by a bolt it might be possible that a metal or carbon pole would cause more damage to you than wood or bamboo.

That could probably be evaluated by looking at injuries caused on golf courses. If their hands are burned from holding onto clubs, the severity might be related to the material the club is made of.

On yet another hand, a trekking pole might provide better path to ground and use it instead of you. That'd be a bonus!

I know for sure I don't like being out when lightning starts cracking off near me, and there isn't anyplace to hide in the forest that is good.

"You want to go where?"

#157188 - 11/10/11 11:31 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: anicinabe]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Most golfers on the golf course are exposed on an open plain. I doubt that their clubs had anything significant to do with their strike. I would say, and this is just my opinion, that you are more at risk from a catastrophic failure of your bamboo poles than from any increased risk that might exist from carrying sturdier aluminum poles.

#157203 - 11/11/11 04:37 AM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: oldranger]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Thread drift alert! laugh Since this thread is supposed to be about MYOG trekking poles, a discussion of lightning hazards (for which I have considerable respect!) would be more appropriate in "Backpacking Health and Safety."

Edited by OregonMouse (11/11/11 04:38 AM)

#157211 - 11/11/11 10:37 AM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: OregonMouse]
anicinabe Offline

Thank you for transferring the discussion thread and keeping us on track..

#157957 - 11/28/11 05:34 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: anicinabe]
kevbo610 Offline

Loc: columbus georgia
i have always used walking sticks; endless supply, and i am really amazed at how many times people have asked if they were for sale A:yes, they are for sale. i have my favorites i have kept, but many times i will go for a walk without one just so i can grab a new one to cut on.

Edited by kevbo610 (11/28/11 05:35 PM)

#158722 - 12/14/11 12:26 PM Re: Trekking Poles! [Re: newyorkteg]
Ffej Etaps Offline

Loc: Montreal, QC Canada
Here in Montreal, on just about any given trash day, you can find the old bamboo ski poles. I grab them whenever I see them. I pull off the bottom baskets, trim the steel tip just a bit, and Voila! I trim them to suit my wife and young son. They are tried and true, light weight, and free!

Cheers

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum