Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157030 - 11/09/11 12:07 AM Forum newbie, Looking for hiking/camping budies
TSD Offline

Hello all, very happy to have ran into the forums while browsing. Didnt really know what thread to put this in so i posted it in the General thread. My name is Tom im 28yo, from West Chester, PA. Currently live in Wilmington, DE with my girlfriend. Decided to come on the forums and see if i can meet some people and make some new friends in the area.

As some of you know when you get older some/most/all of your friends kind of go and do there own thing and you lose touch with people. Well thats the position I have been in for awhile. All my friends have different interests now and for the most part we all went are own way. I was wondering if anyone is in the West Chester,PA/Wilmington,DE area or close by (i frequent both) that would be up for having me and possibly my girlfriend (She has lower back issue's so she might not be able to come all the time) join them on some hiking/camping trips, Or just up for any good time really.

I remember as a kid me and my dad would go camping and hiking a lot and i really enjoyed it, so i wanted to get back into it and do something i enjoyed. Started putting together my gear, recieved my Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack along with my Marmot 2-person tent. Havent had an opportunity to test out the tent but i did a few 6+ mile hike's with the pack at Ridley State park and wow it is great so far.

Little bit about myself, as i mentioned i am 28yo, hobbies include firearms, muscle cars, computers/technology...little bit of everything, really, as long as its interesting smile. Grew up in newtown square, moved to West Chester when i was about 1-2 years old. Done everything from the Police Academy to Corrections, have many interesting stories lol. Would love to meet some nice people, well everyone have a good one and thanks for reading my post

#157033 - 11/09/11 03:53 AM Re: Forum newbie, Looking for hiking/camping budies [Re: TSD]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Welcome to the forum. If you are ever interested in heading up to the Adirondacks (not necessarily the high peaks), let me know, I spend quite a bit of time up there.

#157036 - 11/09/11 07:13 AM Re: Forum newbie, Looking for hiking/camping budies [Re: TSD]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Check out the local hiking clubs and outfitter stores. I was in the same situation a few years ago, and met both of my current hiking buddies on a trip sponsored by the local outfitter. Just last weekend, I went on a trip with the local hiking club; didn't meet anyone to add to our little band, but still hadd a great time and met some nice folks.

#157060 - 11/09/11 01:33 PM Re: Forum newbie, Looking for hiking/camping budies [Re: Glenn]
RHodo Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Have a look at meetup.com for a hiking/backpacking group in your general area and don't for get your local Sierra Club. The ones near me have hikes and backpacks all the time.

#157253 - 11/11/11 10:19 PM Re: Forum newbie, Looking for hiking/camping budies [Re: TSD]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
TLD, There are several active clubs in the Wilmington/West Chester/Philadelphia/Baltimore area. Google Wilmington Trail Club, BATONA Hiking Club, Mason Dixon Trail Club, "hiking in Baltimore", Horseshoe Trail Club. I was once president of the Wilmington Club, and know they are still active (and still maintain the Brandywine Trail-- Connects with Horseshoe Trail, and in turn with the AT). Good luck. Some wonderful hiking in that area. Best, jcp

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum