Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153675 - 08/13/11 03:31 PM new to back packing from cen. IL
1baddad Offline

Loc: Cen. IL
Hi all, Had my first back packing adventure in the Smokies and part of the AT with my twin 14 yo boys and a group of scouts. It was great!! My boys and I are now planning a trip in Nov. to Shawnee National Forest in S. IL, River to River Trail and another trip in March to the same destination. I am working on lightening my load thanks to all the helpful tips in this forum.

#153685 - 08/14/11 01:32 AM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: 1baddad]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Welcome. If you came to the site from a link directly to the forums, be sure to go to the home page-link on the left and check out the gear lists, links to sponsors selling lightweight gear, tips and other links.

Learn to use the Search function (instructions in the General Discussion forum at the top of the posts-written by me).

Be specific with questions-those will get you the best responses-and try to post in the right forum, not everyone looks at everything, just what interests them.

#153730 - 08/15/11 10:26 PM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: 1baddad]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
You may find this map helpful though I have not been to most of these places. I just started BPing a couple years ago when my son crossed over. I'm closing in on 10 lb base weight. They have a Scout section at backpackinglight.com, too.

#153784 - 08/17/11 03:41 PM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: 1baddad]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Welcome! I'm a former Illinoisan myself wink

Be sure to look into backpacking the Ozarks too. You're probably around a 7 hour drive or less to SW MO / NW AR and we have some great spots here. The Ozarks Highland Trail, the Buffalo River Trail, and some really nice wilderness areas to explore. I know there are parts of the BRT that you and your boys would love, and you can rent canoes and do float trips there and camp along the shoreline anywhere you want, then pick up a trail and backpack too. Best times to hike here are mid-October thru the end of March.

Please post a trip report with pics when you get back from the Shawnee National Forest. I'd love to go there one of these days!

"You want to go where?"

#156893 - 11/07/11 05:31 AM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: 1baddad]
dragonictigeron Offline

Loc: Illinois
Greetings! I have not been very active on the site since during the summer but I am from So. Illinois myself and had planned on doing the river to river trail this past fall. Due to finances and time constraints I was not able to do so but did small sections of it. I am planning to hike the whole trail next year and then within a couple years I plan on doing the Appalachian Trail. If you are planning to hike any length of the River to River trail I would suggest buying these two books:

The Official River to River Trail Guide

This book covers pretty much everything about the trail

Pocket Guide

This is a small guide that has mileage, gps points, ect so you can use it on the trail easier than the main guide.

I am not real experienced in backpacking and prolly not the best person to go to for help but if there is anything I can help with let me know!

#156898 - 11/07/11 07:14 AM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: dragonictigeron]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Welcome aboard!

Don't ever feel the need to apologize for lack of experience. You accuulate experience every time you go out - and going out is sort of the whole point, anyhow.

I've been doing this for 35 years, recreationally, and I'm still not sure whether I've got 35 years of experience, or one year's experience 35 times. smile

#157000 - 11/08/11 04:51 PM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: dragonictigeron]
1baddad Offline

Loc: Cen. IL
I have the fourth edition of the R2R trail guide. The pocket sized version looks handy. Thanks for the link. We are leaving Friday morning for the 5 hour drive to Garden of the Gods where we will start from. Ending point will be Concord Cemetary. About 15 miles. We are really looking forward to getting out of dodge even though it is just for 2 nights. Weekend temps look to be in the 60s and 40s with no rain in the forecast. Couldn't be better as far as I am concerned.

#157023 - 11/08/11 10:17 PM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: 1baddad]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Deleted. Wrong Garden of the Gods.

Edited by Gershon (11/08/11 10:19 PM)

#157032 - 11/09/11 02:06 AM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: 1baddad]
dragonictigeron Offline

Loc: Illinois
Sounds like a great trip! I haven't been able to do any over nights other than camping out and then going on long day hikes the next day. I need to get a pack soon so I can do some overnights.

#157058 - 11/09/11 01:19 PM Re: new to back packing from cen. IL [Re: dragonictigeron]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check the articles on the home page of this site for suggestions on selecting and fitting a backpack.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum