Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156798 - 11/04/11 08:35 PM TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users?
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I'm thinking about buying a SubLite Sil for 3.5 season use (no heavy snow, but mid Atlantic winters). I'd like to cut down on the wind tunnel effect (welcome in summer, not so fun in the cold) in my Rainshadow 2, and cut some weight out.

Thoughts? Am I thinking about this clearly?

#156802 - 11/04/11 08:58 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: Steadman]
lori Offline

I got one from someone who only gave it up because Henry came out with a newer model. It's a really nice little tent, I have only used it a couple of times (I'm in a hammock when not alpine) and it sets up well with trekking poles, even when using rocks to "stake" it out. (Some extra cord like mason line helps when setting up on rock with a non freestanding tent.) Plenty of room for me and my gear. The only thing I leave in the vestibule is my boots, which I only leave out coz they are muddy.

They are out of stock at tarptent frequently. Don't think the sil has been available this year much.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#156871 - 11/06/11 01:48 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: Steadman]
Wolfman Offline

Steadman I think the Sublite is a good design for wind, I have heard both good and not so good things about it. Main problem is the lack of waterproof-ness on the Tyvack model, but that should not be a issue on the Sil-nilon model.

Question on the Rainshadow 2 if you don't mind. I have been looking at that design for a 3 season (Mostly summer) tent for me an my two kids. One is 14 and the other is 10. How is the room inside the tent and is it east to sit up in? Any room for gear storage?

I know this is off subject but I hope you don't mind answering some questions.

Wolfman

#156879 - 11/06/11 08:25 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: Wolfman]
Steadman Offline

Glad to.

The Rainshadow 2 will easily sleep three adults - my 6 and 8 year old were not cramped this summer. I can sleep across the front door (sideways in the tent) and I'm 6'2". I can also crawl in easily, and sit up.

With 1-2 people, I can get all my gear (including my big external frame pack) inside the tent. 3 people makes that harder. My solution when I have two kids with me is to put a garbage bag over my pack and lean it against a tree.

If you've achieved a level of lightness that I aspire too, but have not achieved, you may be able to get your pack inside the tent if you put it under your legs. The beak helps with boots, but not with a large pack (you'd have trouble getting out). The overhang at the foot of the tent holds promise for stashing a pack, but I haven't tried it out so I can't really comment on feasibility.

OregonMouse is also a user; she might have a method for gear storage that I have not explored.

The ventilation in the tent is great - if you're out in above freezing conditions!

I have not yet had it out in a thunderstorm - I wonder how the mesh sides will hold up in those conditions, even with the bathtub floor. I've had sand splashed six inches high on a tent from a nasty thunderstorm in NJ (think I was floating on my airmattress too), and I think I may get a mite bit damp in those conditions, so I'm eager to see how the Rainshadow 2 holds up when I finally get dumped on. But, I also structure trips to avoid weather like that with the ages of my kids.

If you're trying to make it possible to get out backpacking with two kids in summer conditions, I think you'd have trouble doing better than a Rainshadow 2 - I've looked, and I can't find a better alternative!

#156930 - 11/07/11 01:54 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: Steadman]
hshires Offline

Loc: Nevada City, CA
The Sublite Sil has been discontinued. It will be replaced by a much more versatile shelter early next month.

-H

#156934 - 11/07/11 02:39 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: hshires]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Such a tease. No fair!!! crazy

Cheers,

Originally Posted By hshires
The Sublite Sil has been discontinued. It will be replaced by a much more versatile shelter early next month.

-H

#156943 - 11/07/11 03:58 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: Rick_D]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
"Such a tease. No fair!!! "

Probably just in time for Christmas.

#156960 - 11/07/11 08:39 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: hshires]
Steadman Offline

Cool deal. I was wondering why it was off the site, and thought that might be the reason. I hope it will be as light, and address my design concern for winterish use.

Hey, Henry, have you taken a Rainshadow 2 out in a thunderstorm? I didn't set mine up in Irene (nothing would have stayed dry in Irene) but I really want to get a better idea of the design limit in those sort of conditions.

Edited by Steadman (11/07/11 08:42 PM)

#157004 - 11/08/11 06:11 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: Steadman]
hshires Offline

The Rainshadow 2 will be fine in a thunderstorm. Be sure to orient it foot first into a windy rain, lower the front pole height if necessary, and use the side pullouts to ensure that water runs off the roof away from the floor edge.

-H

#157007 - 11/08/11 06:19 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: hshires]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have a Rainshadow (for backpacking with grandkids) and do as Henry suggests in a hard rain--works just fine. Once it stops raining and blowing, it's a good idea to raise the pole back up for better ventilation.

#157031 - 11/09/11 01:37 AM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: OregonMouse]
Wolfman Offline

Thanks for all the comments and feedback on the Rainshadow 2! Great to know what people think of it. Now do I make my own version or just buy one.... confused

Wolfman

PS: Sorry about Highjacking the thread again! smile

#157199 - 11/11/11 03:30 AM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: Wolfman]

I understand (via a post on the PCT-L) that the Tarptent Contrail will also be discontinued?

In another regrettable (IMHO) move, Gossamer Gear has discontinued the Henry Shires-designed Squall Classic. While I'm planning to try out Joe Valesko's Z-Packs Hexamid Twin which is 10 oz. lighter and has been strongly recommended to me, I plan to hang on to my Squall Classic, a well-designed tent which stands up beautifully to really harsh weather! Until I'm really sure that the Hexamid Twin will work just as well, I don't want to replace that wonderful Squall Classic!

Even if I don't want to buy one, I really enjoy seeing what Henry comes up with in the way of tents!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/11/11 03:35 AM)

#157210 - 11/11/11 09:29 AM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: OregonMouse]
hshires Offline

The Contrail has most definitely NOT been discontinued. What you read was there will be another model from which to choose.

-H

#157247 - 11/11/11 09:24 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: hshires]

Sorry to have passed on what was evidently a misunderstanding by the PCT-L poster of what he said you told him. I'll wait for the official word next time! And thank you Henry, for coming on here to set me straight!

#157287 - 11/12/11 08:34 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: Wolfman]
Steadman Offline

Wolfman - buy one. Worth it (if for no other reason) than the customer service I've gotten is top notch.

Also, I really don't think I'd be out doing overnighters with a 8 and 6 year old, who can't carry very much of their own gear, if it wasn't for this tent.

#157288 - 11/12/11 08:36 PM Re: TarpTent SubLite Sil - any users? [Re: hshires]
Steadman Offline

Ok, tried it in the front yard today. 30 years of setting up traditional tents, and I didn't think to lower the front pole - I was worried about keeping the netting taunt - which still pretty much happens when the side guy lines are adjusted to the new pole hight.

Thanks much!!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum