Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156411 - 10/27/11 07:58 PM Odd boot question
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I'm looking for a new pair of boots. The odd part is this, I'm actually looking more for work boots. I work in a cabinet shop and doing construction. I've been wearing rocky's for a few years, and I've really liked them over the cheaper boots I used to get. The issue is, I cant find a new design that fits well in the rocky's.

I went to the local outdoor store and found a pair of Vasque boots that I really like (the breeze gtx to be more specific). The question I have is how the sole on a boot like that would hold up on the bare wood floor in the shop. I know they're more designed to be outside in dirt and stuff that gives, so I'm sure how they would wear with a hard flat surface like that. They have vibram soles.

Also, on rei's site I saw alot of conflicting reviews about the upper holding up. Some reviews said they were great, other said they started falling apart in no time. If anyone has any experience with these boots, or atleast this brand, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

#156412 - 10/27/11 08:46 PM Re: Odd boot question [Re: james__12345]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
James,

I'd call Danner and ask what would work best. Belleville is also a popular name, but I consider them second to Danner. I think Belleville does have a design especially for the "motor pool" whch is the garage.

They are not cheap, but they will last a long time. If you get a pair that is "recraftable" they can be resoled for $100.

You might try a police uniform shop, but I wouldn't expect success there.

Edited by Gershon (10/27/11 08:47 PM)

#156413 - 10/27/11 09:53 PM Re: Odd boot question [Re: Gershon]
Hawke Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Danner has great boots for all different applications. You can get their police boots with steel shanks/toes if that's what you need. They fit great, and last forever.

Another great work boot company is Mason. They specialize in fitting odd sizes/shapes of feet, and also have a very durable product.

Another thing you may want to consider (but only if you don't mind a cowboy-style boot) are Justin Workboots. They're very comfortable and "cushy," but are also made to resist popular industrial chemicals.

#156422 - 10/28/11 12:14 AM Re: Odd boot question [Re: james__12345]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I have worn Vasque boots for many years and I have found them to be excellent. I am confident they could stand up to the demands of shop work - the possible exception would be a situation with lots of solvents or grease. Vibram soles wear quite well, although I tried to wear mine out on the trail rather thanin the shop.

I do not have experience with that particular model, but I'll bet they are fine.

#156425 - 10/28/11 08:02 AM Re: Odd boot question [Re: james__12345]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
I had a pair of Vasque Breeze Low GTX that I enjoyed quite a lot...one of the guys at the local gear shop was wearing them for work and really liked them. They should last a few years...I wouldn't say the soles are made of really hard material but they are comfortable and hold water well right to the end.

#156456 - 10/29/11 12:26 PM Re: Odd boot question [Re: james__12345]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I decided to go ahead and get the boots I looked at. Something unlikely happened though. I looked at and tried on the boots around 11 on Thursday. I checked a couple other stores and all I found that I could even stand on my feet was a pair of redwings, but they didn't fit nearly as well as the Vasque's did. I went back to work, then came home and got my research done on the boods and decided to get them.

Its a small shop, and they close about the same time we've been quitting work here lately, so I knew I wouldn't have many chances to get up there to get them. Friday night we quit a bit early to go out to eat with my grandma. I left a little before they did, told them what to order for me, and went to get my boots. Sometime between 11 thursday morning, and 4:30 friday night, during the 14 or 15 hours they were open, the little mom and pop shop (that most people around here probably dont even know exists), in our little hole in the wall town, sold the only pair of those boots in my size. The guy said he was surprised because they dont sell many boots. I said "What, maybe a pair a week?", and the way he said "something like that" led me to think it probably wasn't that many. So of all the boots for them to sell, it had to be the one pair in all of Cookeville that I liked. They're ordering me a pair now, so hopefully they'll be there in a couple weeks. About 95 percent of everything I try to order ends up backordered though, so I have my doubts :P While I was there I did pick up a MSR blizzard stake to replace my small shovel and saved about four ounces for about 6 bucks, so it wasn't a COMPLETELY wasted trip.

#156485 - 10/30/11 05:01 PM Re: Odd boot question [Re: james__12345]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Glad you found something you liked. For future reference, the Belleville flight deck boot soles hold up really good in an industrial environement, and you can lengthen their life by putting a new heel on them.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum