Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163258 - 03/04/12 10:46 AM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: Pika]
Cole Pendell Offline

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By Pika
Cole, here are a few minor changes that I would suggest.

Not sure why you carry both the facial blocks and an alcohol pad. Soap and water should replace the "blocks".

You could use Purell or similar (from your toilet kit) in place of the alcohol pad.

The large gauze roll can be replaced by a bandana. In the past (I was an army medic long ago), I used gauze or triangular bandages to hold wound dressings in place; a bandanna works just as well since sterility is not an immediate issue. Actually, I carry a 2" Ace bandage since it can be used to support a strain as well as holding a dressing or splint in place.

Not sure how ear plugs relate to first aid, the same for the bobbin of thread and the toothbrush; you might want to carry these items somewhere else.

I would carry more than two band-aids and one gauze pad for any trip longer than just overnight; they need to be replaced fairly often to hold off potential infection.

I assume that "batch" book is a typo for match book.

I would take a more reliable whistle than a 22 shell and keep it somewhere on your person, not in the first aid kit. A fall that mooshes your lips could make a 22 shell hard to use.

I would drop the iodine: a lot of research has shown that it causes more problems than it solves.

I take along a few Benadryl tablets for allergies and I also take four 7.5/500 Vicodin tablets (prescription only) as super-strength pain killers.

Blocks gone,

My thoughts on the gauze roll were this. Bring large, I can always cut it down. And worst care I could use it as a compression "pad".
Earplugs, toothbrush, thread. I carry most of my toiletries in my FAK too. Forgot to mention sorry! I do have a separate bag for my TP though.
+ Bandaids
+Gauze pads

Did a little google searching on Iodine and you seem to be correct. Thanks for the update. Gone from FAK

Claritin works better for the allergies I get from the stuff we are exposed to.

I am working on getting a few Vicodin.

Thanks Pika for the help. You let me look at this in a different way!
~Cole

#163276 - 03/04/12 04:14 PM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: Cole Pendell]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I EDC more bandaids than that in my wallet. I agree with Pika about elastic (Ace) bandages. They are extremely effective for the kinds of problems backpackers encounter. I usually pack two. Something that ought to be mentioned is the degree of improvisation you will employ for splints and other items. How many triangular bandage precursors are in the rest of your gear? What is your procedure for producing a leg splint? I am a broken record on this, but an important element is the level of training and experience within the group; indeed, it is the most important element.

Edited by oldranger (03/04/12 04:16 PM)

#163309 - 03/04/12 11:05 PM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: oldranger]
Cole Pendell Offline

Loc: Idaho
I should note I have added many more band aids not.

I do care trekking poles: backup splint.

I have always thought that in a scenario I needed a triangle bandage I could cut a chunk from my tyvek bivy. There would be plenty of material to do this.
Do most hikers care some sort of triangle bandage?

Again I always have the bandanna, and a buff for the worst case scenario.
Thanks again guys, really helps to get some input!

#163319 - 03/05/12 05:15 AM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: Cole Pendell]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I certainly carry a bandanna/triangular bandage, even in town. If I ever need more, I will cut up something...

#164821 - 04/10/12 12:08 AM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: BZH]
lostagain Offline

Loc: DFW, Texas
This info is one reason I joined this forum. smile

For me, the things I put in my FAk are those things I would have regardless of situation. I.e. they're the same items I'd have in any FAK. Bandages, FA creams, antibiotic creams, etc.

When I hit the trail, I include things like pain reliever (if it's just me, Bayer aspirin and Aleve. I carry Tylenol and Advil for those who can't take the other two. I consider things like moleskin and blister treament as part of my hiking kit regardless of what I've got in my FAK. After all, the most common things I've encountered on hikes/camps are blisters, lite burns, cuts/scrapes. twisted joints, splinters, and of course, soreness.

#164854 - 04/10/12 01:14 PM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: lostagain]
John Donewar Offline

Loc: Louisiana
My first FAK was purchased not assembled and weighed in at over 1 pound. cry

It was in a zippered case and looked like something a military medic might carry into the field. grin

Now my FAK fits into a ziploc bag and is geared towards pain relief, allergic reactions and blister management. It is small and light and works for me and my needs.

It also houses a backup mini Bic lighter and the ever present duct tape.

Newton cool

#164905 - 04/11/12 03:20 PM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: Cole Pendell]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
I'd carry an irrigation syringe. You can just use a regular 5-25 cc syringe without the needle.

One of the needs for the kinds of cuts and scrapes we can get is to be able to thoroughly clean the wound. A jet of water from the syringe can be from gentle to forceful and can effectively get both seen and unseen junk out of a wound.

I wouldn't say don't carry some kind of antibiotic ointment, but this is more important and weighs litte.

#165174 - 04/21/12 12:44 PM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: Keith]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
I prefer a syringe (20 or 60CC), but a zip-lock bag with the very tip of the corner snipped off also makes a great irrigator. A freezer bag would probably be more durable than a sandwich bag.

MNS

#165175 - 04/21/12 01:05 PM Re: Backcountry health problems: an FAK thread [Re: midnightsun03]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have a few sandwich bags in my first aid kit for just that reason. They are also in case I need rubber gloves (that would only be for someone else's bleeding wound, not a very likely scenario since I travel solo). Or, as has happened once or twice, my lunch snack bag breaks! I usually have an extra quart freezer bag on hand, too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum