Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130699 - 03/14/10 07:00 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: bigfoot2]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Just remember: if you convert him, you have to consider him "us" instead of "them" (the Pottery Barn doctrine of UL: You break it, you bought it.) Or, as the toast I wanted to give (but wifely intervention prevented) at my daughter's wedding: "Jeff, she's your problem now." grin

Edited by Glenn (03/14/10 07:37 PM)

#130722 - 03/15/10 01:52 AM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: skippy]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Quote:
I wonder what else he has been holding out on me?

. . . that he'd always snuck that wx radio in the bottom of your pack and took it out on the last morning before you exited the trailhead? cry

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#130735 - 03/15/10 12:00 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: kevonionia]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
This tread is good entertainment,
Jimshaw I like this line,"This "lighter is always better concept" is based on lack of experience."

#130736 - 03/15/10 12:10 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: kevonionia]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
Originally Posted By kevonionia
Quote:
I wonder what else he has been holding out on me?

. . . that he'd always snuck that wx radio in the bottom of your pack and took it out on the last morning before you exited the trailhead? cry

Kind of makes up for the rocks I've been putting in his....

#130773 - 03/15/10 11:51 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: skippy]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Isn't 'lighter is always better' what the emporer was told about his new clothes wink

#132467 - 04/21/10 11:26 AM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: taM]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I don't see it that way at all. I have been trekking for about 40 years give or take a few "off" years of not doing it at all. I don't think that my traveling lighter has any thing to do with neccesity. I think that it has more to do with effeciency. The reason that I say that is that I get the same things done, with better gear, trekking that I did 40 years ago, I just do it with about half of the weight.....sabre11004...

#132854 - 04/28/10 01:37 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: sabre11004]
TerraPathic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I have a friend who I bet packs a lighter pack than all of you. When you get to the campsite you find out he plans on using your stove, tent, food, etc. And I mean etc. His pack has a sleeping bag and water.

#132855 - 04/28/10 01:46 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: TerraPathic]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I assume two things:

1. You're using the term "friend" very loosely.

2. He never camps with someone twice - unless the arrangement beforehand is that the someone knows they're going to be mooched from, and is OK with that.

It also sounds like he's the perfect person to carry the rock collection you just decided to start. grin

#132857 - 04/28/10 02:00 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: Glenn]
TerraPathic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Your assumptions are correct. He is still a friend that I would take a day hike with but I will not go backpacking with him. He'll go anywhere with anyone if it means being outdoors (good) but he is a tight-wad (bad).

#155726 - 10/12/11 12:59 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: skippy]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada
Skippy,

One of the reasons backpacking is irrestible to so many people is because it really allows for individual expression of concepts and experience. We don't need to mess with that. If you have some really good ideas, just go about your business and people will take notice.

It's funny but I went out and bought a Sierra Club type cup last week because it is so nostalgic. My friend has always used one and the sight of it really hit me.

#155736 - 10/12/11 03:57 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: ppine]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Of course Sierra cups are available in titanium these days!

#155756 - 10/13/11 12:24 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: OregonMouse]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
While I am not a UL guy, I have become a LW (lighter weight) guy out of necessity first, and common sense second.

Gone are the days of a 55lb pack with multiple back-ups of most of my gear. That style of packing (for me) is better left back in my military days.

I lurked on this forum for many many months, reading and absorbing information. I have a backpacking buddy who is teetering on the edge of UL, and another buddy that we are converting to the LW style.

My thanks to all of you for sharing experiences and experiences with all of your gear.

#163211 - 03/03/12 11:48 AM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: skippy]
MarkJones Offline

In December we went to Richland Creek in Arkanas. I told the 4 guys it's only about 5 miles but it's rough go light..yet it's going to be cold. 20 degrees.

Sunday morning at about 6:00 am I could hear them around the fire talking about how they were freezing all night. I slept like a baby... the difference was gear and experience.

3 in tents one in Hammock. I told the young man in the hammock he was going to freeze..he did. GRIN! He had his underquilt and pad from Hennesy.

I got out of my bag and put on my down snowmobile suit and went out and laid on the ground next to the fire...that extra 2 pounds paid off for a wonderful weekend. The rest of the guys are going for better lighter gear...

Bought some Crocs to replace my heavy choco's for river crossings. It's a work in progress. Lighter is always better unless of course it's not better. GRIN!

I have a Swedish Army Cook Kit. Weighs in at 2 lbs 5 ounces. Bomb proof... doesn't fall over. Works in the wind and cold and doesn't burn the food. My other 2 light weight stoves stay home.... because lighter isn't better in this case.

Ever heard of a Luxuary lite cot? Weighs 2 lbs and keeps you 1" off the ground.. in a over night all night rain..that extra 1 pound keeping you off the river flowing below your tent... prices.. I dont' bring it all the time.. Sometimes I do.

If I was going to go 4 weeks at a time.. I would hire a shirpa. GRIN! 8 backpacks a year with Royal Rangers (church boyscouts) over the past 22 years has given me some insight on how to enjoy going on the next trip. At 53 I no longer wonder what will work... I know. GRIN! Unless it's new..then I gotta try it. I enjoy Backpacking my way. Other's ways not so much!

Mark Jones

#163286 - 03/04/12 07:27 PM Re: Have you helped anyone "see the light"? [Re: MarkJones]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Hey Mark, some of the coldest nights I've ever spent around here were at Richland Creek. That's a great wilderness area, lot's of cool stuff to explore there.

Where did you go? Last year I explored the Big Devil's creek hollow and the limestone bluff above it. That was a lot of fun. There are some really nice shelters in that bluff, and some very cool old hand cut millstones sitting on the bank of Big Devil's Creek right below it.

"You want to go where?"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum