Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155687 - 10/11/11 06:35 PM silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
has anyone run across a silicone cup that's 2.75" or slightly greater i.d.-and at least 1.25" high? i have been playing with an aluminum iced tea can for this..the dimensions are great, but i'm worried about it getting damaged, in day2day use. i think that silicone would be great even if it weighted slightly more. the closest thing i've found on line is "cup cake forms" but the creases around the perimeter would negate the cup as a small drinking cup as a secondary use. the mesurments are to fit a EVERNEW alcy stove..any leads? thanking all in advance

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (10/11/11 06:42 PM)

#155707 - 10/12/11 09:00 AM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
I have tried the cake moulds thingies, some are of decent size for a drinking cup, but this food grade silicone is far too flimsy...Unless it's just for protecting your cup. Then some silicone armbands can be used.

#155734 - 10/12/11 03:39 PM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm not clear on what you're looking for, but would this work?

http://www.rei.com/product/752844/guyot-designs-squishy-bowl-and-cup-set

I've also seen them at other outdoor stores; this was just an easy place to grab a picture.

#155735 - 10/12/11 03:53 PM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check out Ziploc plastic storage containers. A 2-cup bowl (actually closer to 3 cups) without lid weighs 0.8 oz. If you cut off the rim, it's only 0.6 oz. With the rim cut off, it can easily be bent to a nice narrow pour spout.

A piece of heavy duty foil works fine as an alcohol stove snuffer. The piece I use as a pot lid weighs 0.1 oz. Of course with testing and experience, you should eventually figure out how much alcohol you need, so you don't have to snuff. (I'm new to alky stoves, so I haven't reached that level either!)

#155752 - 10/13/11 02:49 AM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

maybe i was a bit stingy with information. i am in the process of outfitting myself, and after trying out my new stove, attempted to blow it out.the flare up scared me so i am going to used this for 1- to snuff (smother)out the stove and 2- to drain out any remaining fuel and return to my fuel bottle. i sorta given up of the third use as a drinking cup, since it'll be just too small to be of much use. i was thinking that this should be straight walled.. when not invloved in kitchen wizardry, it will keep the stove from banging away inside of the pot while bouncing along the trail. glenn's link to the rei site might be the best i've seen so far.. i'll have to visit the local rei to see if this'll work for me

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (10/13/11 03:06 AM)

#155757 - 10/13/11 12:43 PM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Ah, now I see - kind of what the two-lid system on the old Trangia stoves did.

I'd definitely recommend using separate vessels to drain the fuel and drink from - you don't want to accidentally poison yourself. (And, since there are 2 cups in the squishy cup set, you may be able to fulfill both needs at once.)

#155855 - 10/14/11 06:42 PM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
take a look at this :
http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhee#p/u/5/xX9j7pF38Tw
Cheap, custom made in 2.3 sec and it works...
Franco

#155860 - 10/15/11 02:32 AM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: Franco]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

that video is what i had envisioned my use to be like. and i'm probably being a bit foolish to want the snuffer to be silicone.but the silicone has an advantage over the alum foil...it can be squshed to form a narrow spout for the pouring back into a container. when i was developing an idea of this i accepted that out "here" there simply had to be a cup,bowl that fit the bill. i'm fast learning that , that's not the case. well i have some time to look since the next time i'll get to do any hiking will be in jan. there's a cooking shop in seattle that i'm going to hit sometime next week. i will post if n when there's something intresting. in the meen time i do appreciate the help here- P.S i'm not too afraid of useing this as a cup. given a little time the remaining alcy will evaporate quickly.

#155861 - 10/15/11 05:45 AM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Originally Posted By the-gr8t-waldo
P.S i'm not too afraid of useing this as a cup. given a little time the remaining alcy will evaporate quickly.

I formerly used a Trangia stove, carried inside the cooking pot. The rubber gasket inside the lid cracked and methanol leaked inside the pot. We used the pot, not realizing this condition, because the alcohol had evaporated. One of my companions got sick enough that she was unable to complete the climb and had to stay in base camp. I would not use that cup for drinking or eating.

#155864 - 10/15/11 11:42 AM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: oldranger]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By oldranger
Originally Posted By the-gr8t-waldo
P.S i'm not too afraid of useing this as a cup. given a little time the remaining alcy will evaporate quickly.

I formerly used a Trangia stove, carried inside the cooking pot. The rubber gasket inside the lid cracked and methanol leaked inside the pot. We used the pot, not realizing this condition, because the alcohol had evaporated. One of my companions got sick enough that she was unable to complete the climb and had to stay in base camp. I would not use that cup for drinking or eating.

If you burn Everclear, then you shouldn't have to worry about it.

#155875 - 10/15/11 05:45 PM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: james__12345]
Franco Offline

it (silicone) can be squshed to form a narrow spout for the pouring back into a container
so can the alluminium foil. It is made out of a couple of layers of the stuff you use in the kitchen...
Franco

#155881 - 10/16/11 02:18 AM Re: silicone combo snuff'r and pour cup [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Wolfman Offline

I an not sure if this is what you are looking for or not but it is a silicone cup and bowl set. I think the cup is way to small to use as a drinking cup but it might work great for your use.

Also I would strongly recommend that you don't drink out of it, the stuff that is used for Alcohol fuel is VERY toxic and the silicone may absorb some of it.

Flexible Silicone Bowls (Lee Vally Tools) There is lots of other stuff that is great for camping also in the site.

Wolfman

#155958 - 10/17/11 01:49 PM MYOG w/ food-grade silicone [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Why not make your own? Just get some food-grade silicone and make a cup to your exact specifications.

Here's a quick search for food-grade silicone, I'm sure there are better sources available:

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Mold-Silicone-Molding-Casting/dp/B003CHMZXI

#156149 - 10/20/11 03:33 PM Re: MYOG w/ food-grade silicone [Re: BZH]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

well, i never made it back to REI. but i have seen the bowl two set there before. but i have been visiting kitchen suppy places without any sucsess. at crate n barrel i saw, what seemed to be a good alternative. they had cooking cups for eges. two for 9something. and today at world market i found the same at 4something...hoo-woo!!!. once home i tryed it and the fit was great! the only thing is that the lip is molded to mimmic a broken egg shell.... no real problem, since i'll be trimming that off. it might be twice the weight of a single "h.d." sheet of aluminum foil aprox 6"square. after reading the replys i won't be drinking from this! thanks to all for the help and the "heads up"

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (10/20/11 03:38 PM)

#156199 - 10/21/11 05:04 PM Re: MYOG w/ food-grade silicone [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Franco Offline

BTW, the reason I suggested the aluminium foil version is simply because most would already have that at home (it is standard kitchen foil, not heavy duty stuff) it is very cheap and yes it is light, less than 5g.
All you do is put some layer on top of the burner ( can be paper ,cloth...) and then shape a folded piece of foil over it. The idea of the layer in between is so that the "snuffer" can slide over the burner easier.
For some burners, like the White Box stove, the bottom of a soda can works very well.

Franco

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum