Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155578 - 10/09/11 03:43 PM Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder?
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
So I just made an impulse purchase. I pickd up a platypus hoser 2.0L I've always just carried 2nalgene bottles in the side pockets of mg pack in the past. And now I'm contemplating the different ways of carrying this thing .

So far my current thoughts are that I could hang it in the sleeve and use the hydration port. Provided in my pack. The cons to this that I see are that you have to open pack to check how full the bladder is. In the event of failure my down bag could essentialy be soaked. And to refill i have todis connect it from loop and pull it out of the pack.

My second option that I'm kinda leaning towards is to close the main pack bag via draw string and set bladder in the extension collar. The cons to this is that the water weight would ride high in pack. And in the event of failure it could still leak down in to my bag. It would however be easier to check and refill.

My third option is to carry in one of side pockets . My only fear about this is I'm pretty ruff around the edges and have been known to barrell through just about any thicket if only to see what's on the otherside . So I'm sure i would eventually puncture it.

And last but not least I could put it in shoveit pocket on back I worried this would make the pack pull back a lot as the weight would be so far from my back. And I like all the other stuff I keep in that in that pocket .

I'm really just curious to how some users have decided to carry theres. As ill be doing some experimentation the next couple days and will post my results.

#155583 - 10/09/11 07:26 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Samoset]
lori Offline

I've been using a platypus big zip in packs with hydration bladder pockets, and have also simply laid it on top of the stuff in the pack. Eventually the thing might start to leak, but I've had it jammed in behind a bear canister many times, yanked it out and stuffed it back into full packs, and still have the same one - the blue ink is wearing off the plastic but it still zips securely and doesn't leak despite my less-than-delicate use after three years.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#155593 - 10/09/11 10:58 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Samoset]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I've tended to lay my camelbak bladder on top of everything (at or just over shoulder blade height) in my external frame pack, because I can't get to the hydration pocket.

I just bought at 2L Platy system. Good luck.

#155596 - 10/10/11 12:24 AM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Samoset]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By Samoset
In the event of failure my down bag could essentialy be soaked.

I use the sleeve and port in my pack. I keep my sleeping bag sealed up in a trash compactor bag anyway, incase of a slip when crossing a creek or that sort of thing. I did have a leak during one of my practice runs here close to home. The connection where the hose screws into the bladder was loose, and I only noticed after I felt the water running down the back of my leg (after losing probably a pint of water from the bladder). Nothing important got wet though, because of the compactor bag around the sleeping bag, and the other compactor bag used as a pack liner incase of rain. I have since put teflon tape on the connection, and haven't had any more leaks.

#155604 - 10/10/11 02:05 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: james__12345]
newyorkteg Offline

try putting the bladder in a zip-lock bag in case of leaks.

#155615 - 10/10/11 04:33 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: newyorkteg]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use a dry bag (tested periodically in the bathtub) for my sleeping bag and another for my insulating clothing. The alternative is to use a pack liner. Nothing else will keep your insulation dry during a really heavy rain or if you slip and fall during a stream ford.

If you're using a bladder, leakage won't affect the dry bags. If you're using a pack liner, just keep the bladder outside your pack liner!

Personally, I won't use a hydration pack. Trying to suck water out of those hoses makes my jaws ache and becomes excruciatingly painful!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/10/11 04:35 PM)

#155618 - 10/10/11 05:36 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

Personally, I won't use a hydration pack. Trying to suck water out of those hoses makes my jaws ache and becomes excruciatingly painful!

Wow, I never have a problem like that. Didn't imagine anyone could, never heard of that before. Only time I didn't get water or had a hard time it was my fault for not seating the quick connect completely.

Wait, I take that back - one hike a lady had issues getting water out of her hydration bladder. She had it upside down in her pack, with the hose connection end up, and the top end down. Once we re-oriented the bladder she had great success until the bite valve (cheap, walmart brand) popped off and drenched her pants.

#155623 - 10/10/11 06:53 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: lori]
Steadman Offline

I hiked with a guy using a platy bladder without an on/off switch to go with his bite valve. He was bletching awfully because he was always sucking air...

Lori, I never did thank you for the Platypus bladder suggestion. It lightened up my kid's pack weight, and now I'm adopting that solution across the family as Camelbak bladders fail...

#155624 - 10/10/11 06:53 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Thanks for all the advice I believe I'm going to grab some trash compactor bags and start using them as liners. As I can't afford any good dry bags right now. I'll prob just hang it in hydration sleeve out of liner. In any event I'll let you know what I think as I'm going on a three day hike next week.

Thanks again everyone. SAMOSET

#155646 - 10/11/11 01:18 AM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Samoset]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Frankly, I am not a fan of these "hydration systems." I am perfectly happy,and hydrated, drinking out of a canteen, which is often a recycled pop bottle. The hoses and bite valves, etc., are just too fiddly and as I have found, and as some here relate, they can leak and dribble and just generally mess up.

#155648 - 10/11/11 07:34 AM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: oldranger]
lori Offline

I actually went back to using bottles for a while and found that I stay hydrated with the hydration bladder, where I forget to stop and drink with bottles. Especially when I am trying to keep up with a deputy on some search - absolutely not stopping a lot or I'd be left behind.

#155649 - 10/11/11 08:31 AM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: lori]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
No way could I go back to the hassle of canteens/bottles. Issues with bladders leaking are generally due to poor quality or poor design. My Camelbak has a simple on-off toggle at the mouthpiece to prevent leakage. Blackhawk brand does as well. Not sure about other manufacturers.

#155660 - 10/11/11 12:10 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
All three camelbaks that I have owned have all leaked. They have either leaked at the fill port, or where the hose joins the bladder. They have also leaked at the bite valve, except the two that have a turn off valve. My gatoraide or poweraid bottles have never leaked, ever.

#155670 - 10/11/11 01:43 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Samoset]
Frankendude Offline

I've been resistant to using the bladder system, even though I've had one for a few years. The bladder can be a pain to get into the sleeve, particularly when installing into a full pack after refilling in the field. I also don't like not knowing what my water level is. On the other hand, I find I drink more often when using a bladder system. To try to get the best of both systems I've taken the hose/valve from my camelback and inserted it into a Nalgene canteen through a hole in the cap. I have the convenience of the hose with a bottle stowed in a pocket on the outside of my pack. Probably wouldn't work very well with a rigid container due to the suction but works well with the collapsible canteen

#155676 - 10/11/11 02:17 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Frankendude]
Steadman Offline

I plugged Camelbak bite valves into the Platypus hydration systems I've bought.

Anybody else try this solution, and have it fail?

#155677 - 10/11/11 02:41 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Samoset]
FredMT Offline

I am curious. Do most people here using a hose system also use treking poles? Do most people using bottles usually have their hands free anyways? Other than that, I am not a fan of bladders or any water in my pack because it is already waterproof. No need to add extra weight of liner. I like my pack snug, not floppy, and stopping to tighten the compression straps every time I get thirsty is annoying. Hoses in winter freeze and the bite valve leaks without a shut off. I find it hard to breath while sucking through a hose. I use a squeezable water bottle with the filter in the bottle. I also take a gatoraide squeeze bottle and fill it from the other as I walk because the filter bottle is barely better than sucking through a hose. Sometimes I want to suck down water at a faster rate. I also carry a large gatoraide bottle for "dirty" water in case I run out of filtered before the next creek. My water bottle with filter has a Grossgrain strap like a x.c. ski pole and I can almost forget I am carrying it when it is not hooked to the pack. Filtering water into a bag and carrying all that weight just seems like a waste of time to slow you down unless you are in the dessert.

#155680 - 10/11/11 04:29 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: FredMT]
Steadman Offline

I shifted to a bladder when I was ridge hiking in Hawaii. It was more convenient than bottles. I also like that I don't have to stop to drink, or take my eyes off of the trail or my surroundings - I can drink and move, and not have to take off my pack to fish out a water bottle. I used to use a canteen (strap and all) for this, but it didn't work well with my external frame pack when I started backpacking.

#155684 - 10/11/11 05:58 PM Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Compactor bag size for pack liner? My local grocer only had 20 galon bags is this pretty much standard as it sounded quite large to me I didn't pick any up. As I was curiosity if they made them smaller?

Thanks for any advice SAMOSET

Edited by Samoset (10/11/11 06:13 PM)

#155685 - 10/11/11 06:24 PM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: Samoset]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I use turkey roaster bags. Incredibly strong for how thin and light they are. I suppose they need to be in order to survive cooking a turkey in them.

#155686 - 10/11/11 06:34 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: FredMT]
lori Offline

It confuses me when people say flow rate is a ding against hydration bladders, since I've used them for years without a single issue there - the bite valve that came with my Platy flows as fast as I can suck water out of it. I disinfect as necessary and replaced my bite valve earlier this year (finally it started to drip a little) and see no real problem with flow, taste, or any other issue. The Platy Big Zip has an on/off valve and is easy to use with any filter I've tried.

I do use trekking poles but not all the time. I've used the hydration bladder in all kinds of packs without liners, in kayaks, in just about any situation where I'm active. And there's no lid to lose.

#155688 - 10/11/11 06:37 PM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: Samoset]

I use trekking poles and I use bottles. Yes, I stop and take my pack off when I want a drink, usually at my hourly rest stops. I also have a sustaining snack. Any excuse to stop, admire the view and smell the flowers!

I now give my dog Hysson a drink from his water bottles at rest stops, too. Why, you ask, when there are all those streams out there, which he prefers to drinking from a dish? A little over a month ago he came down with giardia and almost literally exploded in the car! I fortunately had a couple of old towels and a garbage bag for the worst of it, but I spent the rest of the drive (a very long hour and a half) with the car windows wide open, trying not to breathe, and stopping every 20-25 minutes to let him out for more. It took several hours to clean up and disinfect the car after I got home. Despite all the cleaning, I ended up having the car detailed, which wasn't cheap. Fortunately, a course of Flagyl took care of Hysson, and he's fine now. From now on, all his backcountry water will be filtered and carried in his pack!

It's chewing on those mouth valves that causes me the pain. Strange, because that's the only time I've ever had TMD joint problems! Admittedly, I never chew gum, or I might have gotten symptoms from that, too.

Re the compactor bag size--if it's too big, cut it down to fit--just leave enough at the top so you can use the "candy cane" method to close it (twist the end closed, wrap it with string, and then double the end back on itself and wrap again so it's water tight). You may find that you need the whole bag so you have enough to make the closure. Many brands of compactor bags are now scented--try to find an unscented brand. I haven't found any in the supermarkets or Walmart (all store brands) that aren't scented. You could also cut down a contractor trash bag to fit, avoiding the scent problem.

The good thing about the compactor bags is that everything inside is waterproofed and you can do away with a lot of stuff sacks. The bad, at least for me, was my rising blood pressure as I would shove a small item down into my pack only to have it repeatedly pop back out thanks to the slippery plastic. That's why I went to dry bags for my insulation.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/11/11 07:33 PM)

#155693 - 10/11/11 07:51 PM Good with an inline filter [Re: OregonMouse]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
I use a hydration bladder which I've added an inline filter to.

My biggest reason is so that I don't have to stop and wait on the refill. The Sawyer filter I use is good for life and is meant to be used inline. I can also gravity filter for others at about 1 liter for 1:20 seconds. All in it's 7 oz for the filter and hydration pack together.

Here's a pic:DIY inline filter in a hydration pack.

Edited by Paulo (10/11/11 07:51 PM)

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#155695 - 10/11/11 08:12 PM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I also use poles and bottles. I've tried the bladder and hose system, and it worked without any problems; I just never got the warm fuzzies about it, and defaulted back to my bottle, for no other particular reason than, well, I just wanted to. I sure can't find anything to fault about them, I just never took to them.

#155696 - 10/11/11 08:33 PM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: OregonMouse]
james__12345 Offline

Re the compactor bag size--if it's too big, cut it down to fit--just leave enough at the top so you can use the "candy cane" method to close it (twist the end closed, wrap it with string, and then double the end back on itself and wrap again so it's water tight). You may find that you need the whole bag so you have enough to make the closure.

The bags I had were barely long enough to close at the top (my gear is still a bit bulky though). They were alot bigger around than the inside of the pack, but thats not really a problem as far as I'm concerned.

Many brands of compactor bags are now scented--try to find an unscented brand. I haven't found any in the supermarkets or Walmart (all store brands) that aren't scented. You could also cut down a contractor trash bag to fit, avoiding the scent problem.

I haven't been able to find any more unscented ones for a little while. The unscented ones I have now came in a four pack in a box. All I can find now are rolls, and they're all scented. I cant remember where I got the unscented ones, but if I do i'll be sure to post it. As far as the contractor bags, the ones I found are not even CLOSE to as thick as the compactor bags. The compactor bags are 3 mil. The contractor bags I saw were only 1 mil at most (I dont think they were even that thick).

#155697 - 10/11/11 09:15 PM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: james__12345]

The contractor bags I've seen are 2 mil. You'll have to go to Home Depot or lumber yard; you won't find them in the supermarket. The trash compactor bags I used in the past were also 2 mil. I would not buy anything less than 2 mil.

Someone told me recently that Hefty trash compactor bags are not scented (after I complained about not being able to find unscented ones), and that they are available in hardware stores. I pass this on for what it's worth--I switched to dry bags three years ago so never bothered to look.

#155700 - 10/11/11 10:31 PM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: OregonMouse]
james__12345 Offline

Looks like I've just been checking in the wrong place. I'll check the hardware stores and I'll take a look at the contractor bags at Lowes if they have them (there's no Home Depot with in an hour of here).

#155710 - 10/12/11 09:23 AM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: james__12345]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
A general (perhaps uninformed) question about using garbage bags and compactor bags as pack liners: are they really cheaper?

I've never used compactor bags, but in my younger days I used garbage bags to store my sleeping bag. It seemed like they always developed a hole after one or two trips, so I'd get another. I finally invested in a dry bag-style stuff sack; it seemed pricey, but I figured at 10 garbage bags per year, it didn't take a lot of years to break even - and it kept a lot of garbage bags out of the landfill.

I know Granite Gear used to make actual pack liners, perhaps others do; you could also use a large dry-bag or similar stuff sack as a liner.

Just a random, not-totally-formed thought.

#155713 - 10/12/11 09:40 AM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: Glenn]
Paulo Offline

Loc: Normally Pacific Northwest
Glenn makes a good point. They're good in an emergency, but for long term use it pays to pay.

http://theoutdooradventure.net

#155715 - 10/12/11 10:13 AM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: FredMT]
finallyME Offline

I made a little pouch to attach my bottle to my pack hip belt. I can get it out while walking, or while just standing. If I want to walk, and have poles, then I hold both poles in one hand and get a drink with the other. I usually don't like drinking and walking at the same time, so it is more common for me to stop for a few seconds to get a drink.

#155718 - 10/12/11 11:46 AM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: finallyME]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
My wife uses poles, I do not. And we both use bottles, not bladders. But I have to say I am amazed at the complicated reasoning and high passion in this discussion.

You need water on the trail. Carry however you like to carry it, just so you get enough to drink. They all work, more or less, so just figure out what you like best.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#155732 - 10/12/11 03:30 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: balzaccom]
finallyME Offline

Yes, there are a lot of options that are different but work. However, it is still good, at least for me, to see how others do it. Maybe I can pick something up that will work better for me. You never know.

#155743 - 10/12/11 08:12 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: finallyME]
Steadman Offline

I found it interesting that when I weighed my gear, 1 and 2 L Platy Hoser bladders weighed the same (about an ounce), and that most of the weight (about 3 ounces worth) was in the cap and tubing and such (essentially, this thing: Platy drink tube kit with a camelbak bite valve on it).

So, you do pay a premium in cost and weight for using a bladder. The question is if what you get in return is worth that cost.

#155745 - 10/12/11 08:52 PM Re: Carrying the hydration resivour/bladder? [Re: Steadman]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
This thread is good to inform people of their options.

On day hikes I often use a bladder and hydration tube. With a light load an extra quart or 2 pounds of water is not significant.

When I backpack I use bottles during the day and a bladder for camp use, but no hydration tube.

Your style and the trip make different systems better.

#155748 - 10/12/11 11:12 PM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: Glenn]
james__12345 Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
I know Granite Gear used to make actual pack liners, perhaps others do; you could also use a large dry-bag or similar stuff sack as a liner.

Does anyone have any idea what type of waterproof material would hold up well for something like that?

#155750 - 10/13/11 12:18 AM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'm jumping in here late, but I'm pretty sure Sears sells compactor bags that are unscented, and as I recall, they are a higher quality than other compactor bags I've used. (it's been a few years)

I can't stand those scented bags and wouldn't dream of putting one in my pack sick

"You want to go where?"

#155768 - 10/13/11 04:22 PM Re: Compactor bag size for pack liner? 20 galon? [Re: billstephenson]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
I began using bladders in the military, back when all of them leaked. I would fix the problem with super glue and let it sit for a couple of weeks. Never had any issues after that.

These days I use newer bladders but I do not have issues with leaks. Any new purchases of bladders will be Platys, because I like the idea of being able to open the entire top of the bladder.

My bladders ride in the hydration pouch, if provided. I have been known to place the bladder on top of my gear inside the pack, or to lash it to the outside of the pack, as needed.

In the military, having the bite valve right there was much faster and less of a security risk than using a canteen. Today, I use trekking poles and I like being able to drink while moving through difficult terrain.

I have never had an issue with flow rate, nor have I needed to adjust my straps to create more pressure.

I tend to drink a lot more water than most people I have backpacked or served with, so it is common for me to start a trip with 6 liters of water. That would be quite a pain without a big ol bladder to hold 3 of those liters.

One thing I love about bladders is that you can compress them to create a high flow rate, in case you need to flush out a wound. A squeeze bottle would do the same, but with less volume.

Just my .02

Edited by immortal.ben (10/13/11 04:25 PM)

#156429 - 10/28/11 10:03 AM Carried the hydration resivour/bladder! [Re: Samoset]
Samoset Offline

Well I have to say i rather enjoyed not having to stop to fish a water bottle out of my pack this last weekend. Took a thirty two mile trip for two and a half days on some moderate to strenuous terrain. I have to say that I stayed much more hydrated than I would have otherwise. Because once I'm moving I'm not prone to stop.

I carried the bladder in the sleave and used oven roasting bags around my sleeping bag and cloths bag. I intend on getting a few dry bags for future trips once I can build my gear budget back up!

Thanks again. For the advice everyone.
Samoset

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum