Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155485 - 10/06/11 09:54 PM Planning a trip. Gear List Help
Nick K. Offline

so ive been planning on taking a back country hiking/camping trip it will be 3 days long (Fri, Sat, Most of Sun) in washington state, so temps wont be too crazy just lots of rain always laugh

http://amzn.com/w/ALJYNLQ3LEMW

any tips? am i spending too much on somthing? do i have most of everything? some small stuff and food stuffs will be purchased locally. ive camped before but never anything of this length without packing it all into a car.. lol

weight shouldnt be that much of an issue as im trying to keep it as light as possible tho I am a pretty big guy and do physical labor all day for work.

ANNNNND. boots will be some form of danner waterproof goretex with vibram sole. thinking 5" or 6" boot.

Cheers,
NK

Edited by Nick K. (10/06/11 10:21 PM)

#155486 - 10/06/11 10:02 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
It really depends on where you are going, and when. If I were you, I would try to rent or borrow as much equipment as I could---so that I could see which stuff I really liked, and which stuff made me grumpy.

And I wouldn't take a folding shovel on very many trips...

You can see our list on our website. You might want to compare and see how yours stacks up. Bear in mind that weight is at LEAST as important as price. Lighter is definitely the way to go!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#155487 - 10/06/11 10:16 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: balzaccom]
Nick K. Offline

money is a big thing. but as my family goes camping all the time i wouldnt mind having a nice set of gear for campground camping lol.. and the trip isnt gona be for a few months so I will have time to spread the money for it out.

also what would the rules be for going in the woods? shovel was cuz i thought i would have to bury my #2. lolalso shovel for assist in making firepit for nights?

and I dont think I ever do anything minimally heh.

im guessing that the trip will not be during the month or two of warm weather we get here. and appart from a few brutally cold nights here and there the weather kinda stays the same for most of the year lol. 50-70 degrees with constant rain.

ALSO @ THE GUY BELOW
ive looked at alot of those lists. was just wanting some feedback if anything looked bad or was a shotty company. or wutnot.

Edited by Nick K. (10/06/11 10:23 PM)

#155488 - 10/06/11 10:16 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Several good gear lists on the home page of this site, plus lots of tips on gear selection and many other aspects of backpacking.

#155491 - 10/06/11 10:48 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Most of what you've picked out looks pretty good.

I don't think you need two battery chargers.

That's a really big Ka-bar knife, I doubt you'll need two knives.

Probably don't need a zippo lighter. A small Bic would likely do fine.

The folding shovel wouldn't make it into my pack.

Neither would the light sticks.

Check out the Gear List and other info linked on the left side of the page here. That will give you some good ideas. Read the article on "Lightening the Load" too.

Since this is your first multi-day trip, I suggest you take whatever you want. What ever makes you comfortable. When you get back go over your gear again and take a second look at what you didn't use, and of those items look for what you didn't need. Then consider leaving what you didn't use and don't need at home next time.

For example, I have a Two-Way Radio and I carried it a few times after I got it, but I don't carry it anymore. Except for the NOAA weather channels, I never used it. I carry my cell phone instead now. It has good weather apps, and I have a better chance of contacting someone if I need to, and vice/versa.

"You want to go where?"

#155492 - 10/06/11 10:52 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: billstephenson]
Nick K. Offline

hmmm.. there must be somthing wrong with the list.

the knife is big but not retardedly big.(5" blade isnt that big?) there is only one on the list.

only one bruton batterypack and misc batteries for rest. no chargers.

i like zippo. its for my ciggies

shovel is gone.

annnd 2way radio is cuz my first trip will be with 2 or so other people.

Edited by Nick K. (10/06/11 10:57 PM)

#155499 - 10/07/11 07:38 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
lori Offline

You did ask for feedback - this is where many of us started, getting the idea that what we were planning maybe wasn't as ideal as we thought. I no longer have the first set of gear I started with, for example.

5" is a huge knife, compared to what I carry. I cannot think of a single chore that I would need a 5" blade to do. I also take no batterypack, no zippo, and none of the other gear you have on the list. Does not mean your list is bad, just heavy and not to my personal liking. But I can tell you exactly why I don't carry those things and let you think on that.

Selecting gear from Amazon means you can't try on the things that need to fit - the pack needs to work for you, and the gear you want to take all needs to fit inside and carry well with it. Can't stress how important that fit is.

If this is your first trip with a backpack I will suggest renting, not buying, the major gear. Don't waste money until you know A) you want to keep backpacking and B) you know what you want. (You don't know what you don't know right now. I know this, because before my first adult, self planned outing, I knew less than you.)

I would not buy Alps Mountaineering sleeping bags, either, based on experience, sleeping bags that are cheap are also very heavy and not real warm.

Rent the sleeping bag, pad (something you are missing and will need), stove, pack, and maybe some trekking poles. Pack some synthetic or wool layered clothing. Pack some food. See how it goes.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#155501 - 10/07/11 10:01 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for breaking the ice, Lori; I was trying to figure out a polite way of saying, "You really aren't going to equip yourself from Amazon, are you?!"

In the original post, you don't say where you live; but since it's only 2-3 nights you're planning, I'll assume you live near where you're going, which puts you somewhere in the Northwest. That means there's a good chance there's an outdoor shop near you (perhaps REI, or maybe a local outfitter.) Buy your stuff there. You have to really try hard to buy lesser-quality outdoor gear nowadays, but if you're dead set on getting the heaviest, least useful gear you can find, Amazon would be a good place to start. (Dick's, Gander Mountain, Pro Bass, and WalMart are also places to easily go wrong.) Don't get me wrong; these places also have some good gear, but they have a lot of marginal and unsuitable gear for backpacking.

The outdoor store will carry a better range of gear. Yes, their sleeping bags and packs will cost more than the stuff on Amazon - there's a reason for that: quality. The outdoor store will also have a knowledgeable staff that can quickly tell you what you do and don't need, and how the pieces come together to form a good kit. They'll be able to fit your pack to you, which, as Lori said, is vitally important; they'll also be able to help you pick the proper capacity pack. You'll pay a bit more, but you'll be way ahead in the long run, because you won't be replacing the bag, pad, etc. right away and because good advise from people who know their inventory is worth a little extra money.

One specific comment: while the Katadyn filter is a good one, it's probably overkill for anything you'll be doing. Take a look at the MSR Miniworks. It's cheaper, simpler to use, reliable, reasonably light (but not ultralight) and consistently gets high marks (well, maybe not from SkateboardJoe on Amazon, but definitely from people who've spent some time actually using it in the backcountry.)

Do some research on gear lists here, then print one out and head to a reputable backpacking & camping store.

Edited by Glenn (10/07/11 11:39 AM)
Edit Reason: Refining a thought

#155502 - 10/07/11 11:18 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Looks like the list has changed since yesterday. I must have misread the description of the rechargeable batteries, but I could swear I saw a charger on the list yesterday too.

Here are the two knives I mentioned:

Victorinox Swiss Army Soldier Knife Standard Issue

Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife

Zippo's are great lighters. I used to burn my skin a lot with them when I carried one in my pocket and it leaked on me. Of course, I was only about 12 years old then, and made a habit of filling them with way more lighter fluid than they needed wink

"You want to go where?"

#155503 - 10/07/11 11:36 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Weight really does matter no matter how big you are. You may be able to carry a bag of cement from the truck easier than a small person, but it's a whole new game when you are carrying it the equivalent of up and down the Empire State Building. Then your own body weight becomes a disadvantage.

There are 7 or 8 people on the site who drug my choices through the mud all through the summer. Now my pack is under 26 pounds for a 3 night/4 day trip. Down from 43 pounds at the beginning of the summer. It could be a couple pounds lighter, but I decided to keep some things. (Like the pack.)

The best advice was getting a postage scale to weigh everything. The second best thing I did was make a spreadsheet of what I carried and the weights. Mine is below. There are some things I don't bring others consider essential. A knife, compass, toilet paper, sleeping pad. There are other things I could replace with lighter or better choices, but I'm not ready to spend the money yet. A new sleeping bag is likely what I'll buy next, but I'm still debating which one.

Cost is also a factor. $62 seems excessive for a compass unless you are orienteering.

Look at the websites people have in their signature's. Lori's is real good. And so is balzaccom's.

Here is my list. None of it is especially expensive or top of the line. I'd suggest making one for yourself so it gives some direction to your purchases. BTW, I have Danner boots with an 8" top and I love them. It's one place I go completely against the crowd.

#155504 - 10/07/11 11:50 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
You didn't say when you would be taking your trip, but, in addition to the good advice you are getting, i would suggest some preliminary day hikes, a sort of sake down test. I guarantee you will learn some interesting things that will save you a lot of grief further dwon the road.

#155505 - 10/07/11 12:57 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Gershon]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon

The best advice was getting a postage scale to weigh everything. The second best thing I did was make a spreadsheet of what I carried and the weights.

This is the sort of thing you do when you know you want to backpack often, not the sort of thing first timers need to worry about... it's great advice otherwise we wouldn't repeat it so often. But I'll stick with rent or borrow until you know you want to really do this - and then, get gear that is WORTH GETTING.

A really good sleeping bag will last for years and years and be a great investment - for someone who will use it often. I repeated the "cheap sleeping gear" mistake a couple of times until that sunk in. I do not regret a single penny of the $500+ I spent on the quilts and pad and hammock I have now, because I have had them for several years and had zero uncomfortable nights with them. And one of my 20F down quilts weighs 22 oz, is reliably warm for me to the advertised limits, and packs down to about the size of a football. When we are saying a sleeping bag is too heavy and not warm enough - it's probably also going to pack to the size of a bedspread. It is absolutely worth spending bucks on gear that is compact, light and very warm, I am here to say - that stupid synthetic bag I started with was cold, heavy, and filled half the backpack, and was not worth the eighty bucks, no way.

Edited by lori (10/07/11 12:59 PM)

#155506 - 10/07/11 01:24 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
So, I am guessing that you are planning on getting those specific items? Your local REI (you live in Washinton, so there are a bunch of stores) will actually have cheaper prices. Go there and RENT as much as possible. This would be your pack, tent and bag for sure. Maybe even a stove. Now, lets look at some of your specific items.
The compass.....that compass is a really nice compass. I have a similar Brunton one that I paid $50 for at REI. I love it, but I also know how to use all the features. Do you? If not, then I would look at a much cheaper compass.
The big knife....I sometimes carry a big knife. It has it's uses. But, those uses are few. Do you know what you would use it for? Can you do that type of activity where you are going? Most cutting tasks are better accomplished with a small knife, or better yet, scissors. The SAK looks good, but if you don't know why you would use the big knife, then don't carry it.
The filter is a great filter, but it is bombproof and meant for expeditions. You can probably RENT a filter from REI or buy one of there other options. Most are between $50 and $100, not the $280 that the filter you show goes for.
If you bring a jetboil, then you won't need a separate cup.
I have used Datrex bars before. They serve a purpose. I would look for the mainstay bars that only have 3 bars in the package. It counts for 1 meal. It takes a special type of person to eat those willingly. I would try it before the trip.
You shouldn't need replacement batteries for a three night trip. However, just bring enough extras for one replacement. If your flashlight only holds 3 AAA batteries, then only carry 3 AAA battery spares.
You don't need a full roll of tape. I take a piece of plastic (think credit card size) and wrap a bunch on it.

#155510 - 10/07/11 02:40 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: finallyME]

You don't need any extra batteries for a 3-night trip. Just put fresh batteries in before you start. For a week-long trip, especially with the short days and long nights we have this time of year, that's a different story!

I do carry one of those tiny Photon microlights, along with whistle and compass, on a cord around my neck, just in case. So far the only times I've used the little microlight were when I couldn't find my regular headlamp in the dark, or when the headlamp came apart and the batteries fell out, but it's good to have a backup for the regular light. The tiny microlight weighs far less than extra batteries!

#155511 - 10/07/11 02:43 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
Nick K. Offline

okayyyyy laugh

im going to just randomly read thru and respond to all of you.

obviously i would be buying the items locally. but i cant share an rei shoping cart with you guys.

knife is big but i will be camping making small fires, digging holes. etcetc. the knife on the multi tool doesnt really count as a knife as i will prob never use the knife on it. i am getting it as a multi tool. also with that knife i wont have to worry about breaking or hurting it in anyway with anything that i could do with it.

water filter im getting that one so down the road i wont have to buy another. i hate hate hate hate hate replacing and upgrading things. waste of time and money. i would rather buy overkill first and never have to deal with upgrading down the road.

again. zippo is becuase i smoke. i like zippos use em all the time in real everyday life so i will be carrying one here.

the compass is a little expencive. that was a recent addition until i can find a cheaper good backup incase gps takes a dumper.

and out of the list the tent and the bag are somthing that i would want to buy not rent as those are the things i will keep the longest.

the whole roll of duct tape will not go. there is a waterbottle on the list that takes 2m of it. and that will work perfect.

and again for all the people asking when, washington doesnt really change weather that much 40-60degress with constant rain 90% of the year. its the northwest nothing really changes much. i prob wont be going during that 10% where it gets really really really cold/hot.

and @ finally me. those Datrex bars are for emergency. I dont plan on eating em willingly. like i said little snacky things and breakfast bars will be added later on the day of.

READ THE NOTES ATTACHED TO EACH ITEM IF IT CONFUSES YOU.

and also. at person who said. how big and strong you are doesnt matter. umm how could it not? a big strong guy could carry more with greater ease? i obviously understand to keep things lite so you dont get all tired and the trip becomes lame. im kinda doing it for the physical/"survival" aspect of it all. so i was kinda expecting a heavy pack.
also on a side note i added up rough weights and without a full 2l of water in hydration pack and it came out to like 32lb. i carry more than that on my daily 4mile bikerides to and from work in my street pack lol.

and if I come off a little abrasive or non listining. i am listining laugh and you guys are helping. ALSO ON A SIDE NOTE. Gadgets make me happy and bring great joy to my life, so some of the items are overpriced but make me happy in some way so if there is no other negitives other than money still comes out to a positive to me.

Edited by Nick K. (10/07/11 03:02 PM)

#155515 - 10/07/11 03:28 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You don't need to hike in emergency food. It takes a long time to starve... just hike out.

You don't need a huge fixed blade knife to make a fire.

You will probably need some shovel to dig catholes for #2. People probably just didn't like the one you chose. Their is a guy on backpacking light that sells an ultra-lightweight titanium trowel for just this purpose. There are a couple other options at REI.

I don't know any backpacker that uses the katadyn. I think it is quite heavy. Much better and lighter options available (MSR, Sawyer Gravity fed, steripen) they also happen to be cheaper...

Your tent looks like it is designed for snow loading. It probably has a weight to match. You should be able to get a two-person freestanding tent for around 4 lbs. I think there are some Big Agnes's floating around right now that are heavily discounted.

There are lighter, more comfortable non-self inflating pads available.

You don't need a knife, fork, and spoon... especially with re-hydrated meals. Most people either carry a spork or a spoon only.

Sleeping bags need to fit you. You should try it on before buying.

Fit is the most important thing with a backpack... buy it last after you know how much gear you will be bringing.

Put together your own medical kit with only stuff you know how to use.

Few people pack in coffee anymore. Most people use the instant coffee from starbucks. Pretty darn good and much lighter.

I'm not sure why you need a two-way radio.

... and I'll give it one last try... leave the zippo at home and bring a bic.

#155517 - 10/07/11 04:13 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: BZH]
Nick K. Offline

emergency food only takes up like 2x4in in pack. so im kinda toying with the idea of removing it.

I like the knife, its not going, and can also dig holes with it.

Filter-
as stated before, i dont want to carry a small cheapo one. and so many look silly becuase they have the threads on the bottom to attach nagene &&& according to reviews i should be able to find it for around 180$ which doesnt make it that bad. also about steripen&chem treatment, not doing anything that doesnt filter the water as i dont want psudo "clean" water that has tons of junk in its trunk.

the tent i wana say has a trail weight of 5lb. so its light enough.

mattress-
self inflating is becuase I kinda wana keep it all inside of the pack and not have little bits and pieces strapped all over the outside of the pack

Silverware has info in the note explaining. i dont want to use a spork. and i dont care about the added 10$ cost and the .5oz of added weight.

i know how to use all the stuff in that medical kit. and im pretty sure anyone who is competent enough to go hiking would know how to use it all.

coffee-
I dont like instant. i drink tons of coffee daily and will not budge on this. instant is so lame, if im not gona drink it in real life, im not going to drink it on the trail.

haha laugh zippo is stayin. i dont know why so many people dislike for camping lol.

thanks for your words wink and hope my responce makes sense.

Edited by Nick K. (10/07/11 04:54 PM)

#155520 - 10/07/11 04:55 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]

This is a lightweight backpacking site, so expect considerable criticism of your heavy gear, much of which was designed for occasional car camping rather than backpacking.

Carrying a heavy pack, in the long run, causes considerable damage to knees and feet. It causes fatigue, which leads to misjudgments and accidents. A heavy pack makes it easier to get off balance and fall. It also reduces the distance you can travel. This is one reason we're concerned about your pack weight.

Our other concern is that after a small amount of experience you are going to be extremely dissatisfied with a lot of the heavy, shoddy gear you have listed, and you'll end up spending a lot more money to replace it than if you shop around more carefully at the start.

Please read the articles several of us have linked to on the home page of this site before you purchase any more. Also get an idea of what variety of gear is available from the firms listed in the left hand column of this page.

Of course if you don't want to take any of our advice, that's fine, but why, then, did you ask? There are many, many years of backpacking experience represented on this site. Many of us started out with the kind of gear on your "wish list" and very soon discarded it for something lighter and better. We'd really like to help you not to make the same mistakes!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/07/11 04:59 PM)

#155521 - 10/07/11 05:01 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
finallyME Offline

Nick, you don't have to justify bringing anything. It is all your own choice what you bring. Personally, I could care less what you carry, since I am not carrying any of it. Remember, you asked for our opinions on your list. You are a brave man for posting your list in the first place. I don't think I would ever post my list. Not only am I too chicken, but it doesn't matter to me what others think of it. But, it is nice for a beginner to have others look at your list and make you think about it. I have taken many beginners, and usually after the trip they are ready to hear my opinions on what they should and should not take. Basically, don't worry if every one tells you to leave the zippo and bring a bic. You don't have to defend the zippo choice, just remember that most think a bic is a better option. I carry a bic (by the way) and I don't even smoke.

I have carried emergency food before. Like I said, I usually carry the small mainstay bars. They are about a third of a datrex brick. Something to think about.

If you want to buy your pack, then do it. Many of us recommend to rent first for a bunch of reasons. If you rent, you can easily find out what you want in a pack, like size and features. This way, when you do buy, you have a much better idea of what to look for. It is also cheaper in the short term, and helps you assess how much you really like this activity. If you do buy your pack, I guarantee that you will buy another one (if you continue backpacking). The same goes for tent and sleeping bag. 5lbs is pretty heavy for a tent, unless you split the weight between 3 people.
And, remind me to never, ever, ever lend you my knife. Kinves are not shovels, especially expensive knives. However, you could probably borrow Jim Shaw's. He likes his knives dull. smile You will use the blade on your multitool more than your BK2, especially if you dig with your big knife.
I bring an aluminum snow stake for a pooh shovel. Many here don't bring anything and just use a stick. Something to think about.
If all your food is mountain house, make sure and count how many times you use your fork or butter knife.

#155522 - 10/07/11 05:09 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: finallyME]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
And just exactly what's wrong with buying new gear all the time? (Hi, I'm Glenn, and I'm a recovering gearaholic. My sponsor owns the local backpacking store, so you can guess how my 12-step program is going. smile )

Think of it as your own personal Economic Recovery Act - we don't need no stinkin' politicians!

#155523 - 10/07/11 05:21 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: finallyME]
Nick K. Offline

hehe read the reviews for that knife. 1/4in blade compainion miltary knife.

people talk about using to dig and doing all sorts of wild stuff with em on the regular, thats kinda why im getting such a beefy knife. knifes are used for so much more than cutting. especally a knife like this.

hehe i will keep track of how i dont use the butter knife at all smile but you cant buy titanium spoon and fork alone so i just get the kit.

hehe i shoulda read the title of the website before posting my list smile im not going minimalist. Im pretty sure that i could do 15-20mile hike trip with a sack that is less than 50lb.

you guys talk about 20lb like its retardedly heavy. i have more than 20lb in my backpack everyday for my bikeride to work lol..

and when justifying im just trying to make sure you understand my purpose of having it on the list. its not just "well that looks fun." almost all the items have at least 2 uses for camping. i think im doing pretty good lol. considering that when my dad goes camping with 3 people he brings a full 15'/5' trailer + full truck bed for 2 day camping trip LOL.

i think having everything and the kitchen sink runs in the family.

and just to restate. when i added up weights of everything before i started cutting a few things out the total weight of the bag loaded was close to 35lb. which comes out to around 15% of my body weight. where is a forum for people that want to sweat while hiking? lol

#155524 - 10/07/11 05:44 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
lori Offline

[quote=Nick K.

and just to restate. when i added up weights of everything before i started cutting a few things out the total weight of the bag loaded was close to 35lb. which comes out to around 15% of my body weight. where is a forum for people that want to sweat while hiking? lol [/quote]

Come back after you carry the 35 lb pack every weekend for a few months and let us know how much it matters what the pack weighs!

Every single pound matters to me. But I've been backpacking for a few years longer than you have. Maybe you can carry 80 lbs - so what? Why do you want to carry a heavy pack when you can be more comfortable with less?

You can of course carry anything you like. But you came and asked a bunch of people who have done exactly what you're doing - sorry the answer you've gotten doesn't make much sense to you. Wait ten years and a few long backpacking trips and it will!

#155525 - 10/07/11 06:27 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: lori]
Nick K. Offline

lori
no disrespect wink
i understand your guys side dispite always having a comeback smile

im just trying to get a nice ballance of weight and creature comforts.

and on another note. i just dont understand how you guys can say that no matter how big or strong or fit a person is it has no relivance to how heavy or light a pack could be.

and at your comfort remark, comfort is all relitive. do i pack light and not be as comfortable when camping? or pack a med/heavy ruck and get a nice ballance of both?

its all a balancing act. wink

Edited by Nick K. (10/07/11 06:44 PM)

#155526 - 10/07/11 06:29 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
finallyME Offline

When we are talking weights, we are generally talking before food/water/fuel. 35 lbs is really good. I will put money that your pack ends up being more than 50 lbs though. If you fill up the 2 liter bladder, then add another 4.4 lbs of water weight. Fill up your stainless water bottle and then add another 2 lbs. If you are really good at food choice, then add 1.5 lbs a day. I bet you end up around 2 lbs a day, mostly because you probably need more calories than the average person. You don't have all your clothes on that list, only what you are wearing. You still need rain protection and insulation. So basically what I am saying is that that isn't your full list. Put a full list together and then see where you are weight wise.

Hey, in my youth I did many 50-60lb week long trips covering around 50 miles. It was fun and I didn't notice the weight at all. Now I am older and think differently. Don't worry if you are in the 60 lb range. You will be able to do it. If you stay with this activity long term though, I guarantee that you will be changing everything. I did the same.

#155528 - 10/07/11 06:38 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: finallyME]
Nick K. Offline

@hydration pack weight, i wont keep it full i will get water when needed. not that it matters THAT much. but still.your right about stainless bottle.

jacket will be purchased later (thinkin northface triclimate or columbia equivilant). will carry 2 pairs of pants one pair for most if not all of the weekend and one pair backup justincase. i will trade out underarmour everyday.

also for people a little about me, im 6' 220lb and 24. i dont drive, i commute on a bike everyday for the last 4 years, and i work a very physical job.

"Hey, in my youth I did many 50-60lb week long trips covering around 50 miles. It was fun and I didn't notice the weight at all. Now I am older and think differently."
thanks for saying it can be done if wanted wink i realize it might be a pita but also it could be fine. plus I dont plan on getting old any time soon wink LOL

"I guarantee that you will be changing everything. I did the same."
what hobby does a person not upgrade and change everything when transition from novus to "expert"? laugh

Edited by Nick K. (10/07/11 07:27 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum