Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155398 - 10/04/11 01:13 PM Wide feet - request boot recommendation
MissouriWalker Offline

Loc: USA
Hi all,

I've worn out my hiking boots (poor quality, Made in China) and was looking around for a replacement, only to discover that the retailers in my area no longer sell hiking boots for the wide foot. I don't think I have any choice other than to order online. This is a problem - even buying a wide size isn't a guarantee for a good fit!

I was wondering if the people with wide feet would mind chiming in with what kind of boots they have and how happy they are with them. My foot isn't terribly wide (probably a single E) but I think I need the boot toe box to be a little bigger than usual, as my little toe often gets squished even in a wide size.

I'm looking for boots which come up above the ankle... not trail runners.

Thanks!

#155407 - 10/04/11 03:31 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I usually wear 11E.

Danner EE are wide enough, but I also had to get the next size up.

Merrill also makes a wide.

YMMV.

I still think you should try them on before you buy them.

#155409 - 10/04/11 04:08 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: Steadman]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
At least the big online shoe dealers (the ones listed in the left hand column here, plus Zappo's and a few others) offer free return postage!

#155415 - 10/04/11 04:59 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I can vouch for the Merrills. I wear 14 eeee. Vasque also come wide enough to fit my feet.

#155416 - 10/04/11 05:05 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I have a very similar fit issue. What I discovered was "wide foot box" diagnosis is in essence saying "your toes are too short" At least that is the case for me. If I stick my feet on the measurement device, it says 10.5, but through much painful trial and error I've discovered I am much happier in size 11 shoes. I have 10.5 wides that hurt and 11 regulars that fit nicely. You can argue that I am wearing shoes that are too long, but they are only slightly too long at the big toe, they are exactly the right length at the small toe.

For hiking boots, Merrill's work out pretty well for me. If I buy 11's usually the regular width works out for me. (If you ever buy hockey skate you definitely want Bauer Vapor's... lol)

#155417 - 10/04/11 05:18 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
lori Offline

My feet are spatula shaped with long toes, and that dreaded "little toe mash" you mention. Trekstas are magic for me. Plenty of room in the toe box, no toe bang, several styles available.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#155426 - 10/04/11 08:21 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: lori]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
I have had a lot of problem with getting the right fit for years, doesn't help that one foot is longer then the other either. I usually ended up going through a cheep pair of hiking boots every year. I finally made a switch to shoes earlier this year. I tried on at least 15 different pairs at different retailers. I then tried a few pair online through retailers that offered free shipping both ways. Some sites even have shoe fitter charts to help get the right fit. Ended up with a pair of Montrail AT Plus shoes. Really hard to spend $110 on a pair of shoes but my feet have no complaints. What ever you choose, it pays to shop around. Good luck...

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-MNATPM.html

#155427 - 10/04/11 08:32 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'll second everything BZH said about Merrells. I measure a 10.5 too, but I also buy size 11 Merrells.

I've heard from several people that Keen makes a decent mid-top hiking boot and that they have a bigger toe box than Merrells. I've never tried them on, so I can't speak with experience, but I've been wearing Merrells for several years now and I do like them.

I sympathize with you, I have to try on shoes before buying them and it sucks to have to drive a long way for that because no local stores carry what you want and need. More than once I've made the drive and can back empty handed (bare footed?) because I didn't find anything that fit right. My experience is such that I just wouldn't buy shoes online.

I did hear of an online shoe store that doesn't charge shipping, has a no questions asked return policy, and will even pay for return shipping too. I can't remember the name right now though. If it comes to me I'll let you know.

"You want to go where?"

#155431 - 10/04/11 09:08 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: billstephenson]

The first company listed under "sandals, shoes and boots" in the sponsor list to the right has free shipping both ways. As I mentioned above, so does Zappo's. Shoes.com is another. Google "shoes" and you'll probably find more.

I find it almost impossible to find shoes in the store, especially since I take a 10 1/2 in a woman's shoe. Most stores I've been in don't carry beyond a 10, or they jump from 10 to 11 (too big) without the half size in between.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/04/11 09:12 PM)

#155433 - 10/04/11 11:38 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

I find it almost impossible to find shoes in the store, especially since I take a 10 1/2 in a woman's shoe. Most stores I've been in don't carry beyond a 10, or they jump from 10 to 11 (too big) without the half size in between.

This is why I now state my size as being 10.5 in men's shoes. There are no shoes in women's sizes for me.

#155434 - 10/05/11 10:24 AM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I usually wear an 11 4E. I like New Balance. I think they make boots. I know they own a company called Dunham that makes hiking boots. I have a really heavy pair of all leather Dunham waffle stompers and they are nice and wide.

#155436 - 10/05/11 10:53 AM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
MissouriWalker Offline

@Lori: Spatula foot... what an excellent description of my feet! smile

After talking to the people at Bass Pro, I discovered I can order shoes online and have them delivered to the store; then if I don't like them, I can return them on the spot for a full refund. I'll probably end up ordering Merrell boots.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#155441 - 10/05/11 12:24 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
billstephenson Offline

I'd take a look at the Keens too. I have heard only good things about them and the reviews online are mostly very high praise.

Take a look at the toe box on these Keens and read the reviews.

The reason I say this is because the last few pair of Merrells I've bought are not quite as good as those I bought 6-7 years ago. They're still good, but the padded inserts are not as comfy and do not last as long as they used to, and I too would like some extra room in the toe box, so I will be trying on those Keens before I buy another pair of Merrells.

Do you live near Springfield? I heard a new, big, outdoor sports store just opened there.

I also heard that the Camp Coleman Outlet store in Branson moved to a different location. I might go there today to see it. They've had some amazing deals on good quality gear every Christmas shopping season for years now. I'm hoping that won't change. Don't like their shoes though. They're not much different that Wal-Mart's.

"You want to go where?"

#155443 - 10/05/11 12:46 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: billstephenson]
lori Offline

I've tried Merrells and Keens, they fit about the same for me, not real thrilled with them.

Montrail Wildwoods worked very well for a while but no longer in production and none of their other shoes have the same last.

#155446 - 10/05/11 01:16 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: lori]
billstephenson Offline

The TrekSta Men's Evolution Mid GTX are certainly different than other hiking boots I've seen.

I'd love to try a pair on, but they don't sell them anywhere in Missouri, or Arkansas from what I can tell. Their website list two places under "AR", but I think those are both actually in Alaska. I'm not sure there's even a store of any kind in "Fairbanks, Arkansas" and there is no such place as "Valdez, Arkansas" laugh

"You want to go where?"

#155447 - 10/05/11 01:26 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: billstephenson]
MissouriWalker Offline

I tried Keens at lunch today. On a normal width shoe the toe box is huge, and very comfy. Unfortunately the retailer didn't have my exact size, and anyway I wasn't sure if the Keens were designed to hold up as backpacking boots. I decided to pass for now but I'll keep an eye on them in the future.

#155458 - 10/06/11 12:54 AM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: lori]

Unfortunately I can't wear men's shoes because my heels are so narrow. Even most women's shoes are too wide in the heel for me. While my feet have widened with age (to say nothing of multiple pregnancies and overweight), they widened only at the front end, not the heel!
lol

My only recommendation is to keep trying as wide a variety as possible. When you find the perfect pair, buy several of them, as a defense against the shoe companies' constant changing of models.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/06/11 12:56 AM)

#155461 - 10/06/11 10:06 AM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
Ewker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I like the Asolo boots. There werethe 1st pair I ever put on that felt like they were made for me. They do have wides in all sizes. I bought mine from Sierra Trading Post. It was last yrs model but I saved over 70% off the newer version

#155470 - 10/06/11 12:11 PM Re: Wide feet - request boot recommendation [Re: MissouriWalker]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I have the same problem with wide feet. I used two pairs of Vasque Sundowners over several years and when the second pair wore out I tried the usual trail runners and other brands of true hiking boots and ended up with sore feet and blisters which I had never had in at least 2000 miles with the sundowners. I finally went back to Vasque boots which I can get locally and are available in wide. So far I have had good luck with the new boots but only a couple of hundred miles on them. They may be a little heavier but I do not have blisters. I think that as others have said, you have to get what fits your feet, not what fits someone else's feet.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum