Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155201 - 09/28/11 02:33 PM Gregory Z40 vs Osprey Talon 44 vs Kestrel 48
marharri Offline

Loc: Oxford, MS
Hi all,

I am about to make a purchase between these bags. I have read extensively about them and am leaning towards the Gregory. My friend that owns several packs thinks I should go with an Osprey. I have had a hard time finding material with a direct comparison between them. I am looking for a weekend ultralight hiking pack. Mainly just trails, but occasionally off-trail woods. I'm sure the 2563 cu in will be enough for me since what I was used to was my 1500 cu in ILBE assault pack, albeit was stuffed to the brim with gear attached to the exterior MOLLE. I had to return the ILBE after finally moving to the civilian world and now need a pack. Any thoughts on either pack or perhaps a third suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by marharri (09/28/11 03:36 PM)

#155202 - 09/28/11 03:44 PM Re: Gregory Z40 vs Osprey Talon 44 vs Kestrel 48 [Re: marharri]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You didn't mention what the weight of your load will be. I found the Talon 44 uncomfortable at 22 pounds; however, I don't think the rated load is wrong - it may be that, at age 61, my upper body strength (and padding) is not what it used to be and I simply notice the pack more. I have a Kestrel 48 that I really, really like for that same load range, and find it to be far more comfortable than the Talon; I also find the extra organizational features (particularly the long outside pockets, which don't add capacity but do keep wet gear separated from dry gear, and let me set up my tent without unpacking everything.) The comfort comes at a cost - an extra pound or so, as I recall.

If you can keep your total load, including a weekend's worth of food and and a quart of water, under 20 pounds, the Talon should work well, though.

I've never used the Z40; I used the original G pack (first iteration of the Z series), and never much cared for it. I've tried Z-series packs on in a store, and they never quite fit me right - but I was favorably impressed otherwise.

Overall, of the 3, I'm very happy with my Kestrel 48.

#155203 - 09/28/11 04:15 PM Re: Gregory Z40 vs Osprey Talon 44 vs Kestrel 48 [Re: Glenn]
marharri Offline

Loc: Oxford, MS
Thank you for your quick response. I believe my gear should be right at 20 lbs during fair summer and no more than 30 lbs in poor winter weather. It sounds like the Talon is more of an ultralight 10 - 20 lb bag. I'm also concerned about the material it's made of for going off-trail in the woods. I also looked at the Kestrel 38, but at a 3 oz savings, 10L is too big of a drop for me.

#155204 - 09/28/11 04:29 PM Re: Gregory Z40 vs Osprey Talon 44 vs Kestrel 48 [Re: marharri]
Glenn Offline

I looked at the 38, too, and came to exactly the same conclusion. I also looked at the 58 (and took a winter weekend load to the store and packed it), and found that it was just way too big for summer and a bit too big for winter.

Sounds like we carry similar loads (though my winter weekend load rarely exceeds 25 pounds, since I don't go out for more than a night or two in winter.) As Goldilocks would say, the 48 "is just right" for me.

If you're lucky enough to live near a store that carries all three packs, go try them on (take your gear with you); if not, and you can afford it, order two (or all three) of them from an online retailer that will allow you to return them for a full refund unused. Then pack them up and try them on in your living room, and return all but the one you like.

#155206 - 09/28/11 05:59 PM Re: Gregory Z40 vs Osprey Talon 44 vs Kestrel 48 [Re: marharri]
lori Offline

The frames of those packs are totally different. I cannot wear any of the light Osprey packs, at all, the frame does not work for me, and I am sore within an hour. I can and do wear a Gregory. And an Aarn pack, and a Granite Gear - all different from each other in terms of how the frame rides on my hips, but all three work for me where the Osprey frame just digs in and bruises me up.

Try the packs on with your gear in them, walk around the store a bunch, see how they feel. Ignore people who are giving you their preference as a recommendation, they will not be wearing it for you - get what works better for you.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#155208 - 09/28/11 06:56 PM Re: Gregory Z40 vs Osprey Talon 44 vs Kestrel 48 [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Good point, and one with which I heartily agree; I wish I had emphasized it more in my original reply.

I have the opposite problem: the Osprey fits me really well, and the Gregory packs I loaded and tried in the store dug in at all the wrong places.

Thus our joint suggestion to either get to the store to try them on, or order and return - but get the pack that fits, which may not be the one that more people recommend.

#155209 - 09/28/11 07:11 PM Re: Gregory Z40 vs Osprey Talon 44 vs Kestrel 48 [Re: marharri]
JAY8533 Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Obviously this is just a personal opinion, but having spent time trying both the Gregory and the Osprey Kestrel on (with various weights) I found the Kestrel to be more comfortable. It wasn't even close, really, but after reading reviews online I had it in my head that I was going to get a Gregory Z series that day so I spent probably a little too much time "giving it a chance" in the shop.

I've used it on a few summer weekend trips (hauling a bit more than I ordinarily would because my girlfriend has been going with me) and it has worked out fine.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum