Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153954 - 08/24/11 02:38 AM Hello from an older "beginner" and a question.
daryn Offline

Hi All,
New here, and although 54, relatively new to backpacking. I've done a few day trips and will be going for my first overnight tomorrow.
Here's my question; Does anyone have a recommendation for using a MOLLE II 100ml hydration pack with an older external frame pack? I have a Jansport D2, ( I believe that's the model. ) I have the MOLLE II "Skilcraft" hydration pack, which is great, but I am looking for the best way to incorporate it with the Jansport.
ATB

Edited by daryn (08/24/11 02:39 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#153956 - 08/24/11 06:45 AM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I would just recycle a few Gatorade bottles (or equivalent) and leave the hydration pack behind. To me, it is just excess weight.

Yes, that means that when you want a drink, you will pause briefly, dig into your pack to get some water - nothing wrong with that. Gives one a chance to look around and smell the roses.

As you can see, I am not a fan of "hydration systems."

#153957 - 08/24/11 07:03 AM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: oldranger]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'll second Oldranger. If I can't afford to stop long enough to dig out my water bottle (even if I have to remove my pack), I'm doing it wrong.

I've always found a single liter bottle and a 2-liter Dromlite bladder to be enough where I hike (water is plentiful.) I use the bladder as an air pillow far more often than I put water in it.

#153960 - 08/24/11 09:39 AM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: Glenn]
daryn Offline

Thanks Guys,
My water filter is made almost specifically for the hydration pack, so... I'm sorta committed to it for now. I have a milspec canteen with cover and strap... [i]and pinhole[i], but I bought the "Frontier Pro" filter. It says I can use it with water bottles, but I would like to use the hydration pack. Anyone doing it with a "classic" backpack and a "camelbak" style pack?
I may just try to rig it to the outside of the pack. Seems like there ought to be a more elegant solution. I have thought about wearing it on the front, but have not tried that yet. Took about a 4 mile walk with it and my dog yesterday. She and I finished about half the bladder.

#153962 - 08/24/11 10:56 AM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Get out there! You can make gear adjustments as needed. I use a Platypus 2 liter bladder with hose and a Gatorade bottle as camp source of water. Enjoy the trip with the dog.:)

Duane

#153968 - 08/24/11 12:44 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I do not use a bladder but I do use a water bottle in the side pocket with a hose. I find that if I have to take off the pack to get a drink I do not drink enough. The bottle is only a 16 oz so I end up taking the pack off from time to time but I can get a few sips at any time.

#153974 - 08/24/11 02:16 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: oldranger]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By oldranger
dig into your pack to get some water -

I have an old Camp Trails backpack with a water bottle pocket that tilts forward. I can actually reach my water bottle with the pack still on. It looks similar to this one:

At close to 4 pounds its not the lightest pack out there, but for me it is comfortable and I really like the water bottle pocket.

#153986 - 08/24/11 05:02 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: PerryMK]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
I too like using a water bladder when I backpack; I tend to drink much more that way than if I have to stop and dig out a water bottle.

I'd suggest taking the bladder out of its pack (if you weren't already going to do that) to save weight, then put it in one of the upper pockets of the Jansport - wherever it fits best. A center location will keep your load balanced better side to side, so maybe even put it in the main compartment on top of everything else, with the tube coming out between zipper stops at the top.

#153991 - 08/24/11 06:32 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
hikerduane Offline

If you're not bping in far, I wouldn't worry much about a hydration pack access during your hike, would be useful in camp is all since it has a filter. Not familiar with what you have. What I meant by a short distance was not necessarily close to home, a short hike into your campsite is what I meant.

Duane

Edited by hikerduane (08/24/11 07:44 PM)

#154052 - 08/26/11 08:51 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: hikerduane]
daryn Offline

Well, I have done my first solo overnight in Pike Ntl. Forest. About 3 miles in and 1000 ft elevation gain and it rains, then small hail. I keep hiking and have several epiphanies-
My waterproof shell isn't waterproof anymore, or even water resistant. My 20+ year old Jansport pack is the same. After sheltering under a couple of trees and cooking and eating a hot ramen, I go back down about 1/2 a mile to a place I'd noticed on the way up. Pitch the tent, eat, hang the bear bag, ( PCT method... ) and get ready for the "the rack". Once again, I have packed too much. I have food enough for 2 people for 5 days or more... cry I was going to stay a possible 3, but the weight and overall wetness of my cloths and pack contents has helped me decide on one night.
I then notice that I have pitched my tent in a clearing about 3 feet from nice ripe wild rasberries. I am too tired to care, but I do not eat any of them in deference to the bears.
Here's the high point- I have stumbled into a stand of wild hops! Wild, Rocky Mountain hops. Pictures show them.
The next morning, I have to tape my leatherman to one of my trekking poles and cut my food bag free. Apparently, paracord and cheap carabiners don't match up too well, and my bag was stuck in the tree...
Powdered scrambled eggs, cheese sandwich and coffee. Old 8r worked fine. Packed it up and came back down, marveling at just how steep the trail looked going down.
I have now done my first solo overnight. I'll keep the sleeping bag and the tent. The other gear needs replacing and I need to learn the zen of "ultralight"!!! crazy shocked thanks
Do I need a certain number of posts to add Pics? I just tried and it tells me I can only add a file 0 bytes in size.
edit- Oh! I shoved the hydration bladder in the main compartment and it worked great!

Edited by daryn (08/26/11 08:52 PM)

#154057 - 08/26/11 11:10 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
hikerduane Offline

Good job! Rain and first solo are not good moral boosters when combined, really bad if the rain gear fails too. You'll feel pretty good about it later. Learn to measure food, still, a good learning experience. Just do it! You are one up on me, I have never done a food hang, but I have never lost my food either.

Duane

#154058 - 08/26/11 11:26 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: hikerduane]
daryn Offline

Bear at Palmer Lake Reservoir

Thanks Duane,
I was about a mile above the reservoir shown in this video. That's why I hung my food. laugh

#154073 - 08/27/11 04:35 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
daryn Offline

Waterproof cover for the backpack... blush blush duh!

Walmart has 'em for 4.88 I like the waist/hip belt on the old Jansport, I just need to pack it a lot lighter, or find one comparable that is lighter from the start.
Thank you guys!

#154077 - 08/27/11 08:53 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
hikerduane Offline

Umm, find a small box of garbage compactor bags and put your clothes and stuff in it to keep things dry, lighter. One little thing at a time. Safeway has a smaller box count than Walmart if you go that way.

Duane

#154082 - 08/27/11 10:12 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: hikerduane]
daryn Offline

Thanks Duane again, and everyone who had tips.
Wally world has twelve 2 1/2 gallon ziplock bags for 2.98 +tax. I had almost everything except my cloths in one kind of ziplock bag or another. Even though the pack has a bag compartment, I left my slumberjack bag in it's stuff sack and then packed cloths around it. Glad I did it that way as the cloths were dampened, and the bag was nice and dry.
Safe trips all!

#154092 - 08/28/11 08:54 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I use gatorade or powerade bottle as well. My son used a bladder on last trip. He offered me a drink, and I couldnt stand the after taste the bladder gave the water! Coka cola had some excellent light weight large mouth bottlesfor a while. I wish I could find some more of them! They were ultra light!

#154093 - 08/28/11 09:37 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: Kent W]
daryn Offline

Wow.
My bladder is a "new" army surplus "skilcraft" MOLLE II 100 oz bladder and imparts no taste whatsoever. Instructions advise baking soda in water to freshen and a small amount of bleach in water for more serious cleaning. I bet your son's hydration bladder sat with water in it for too long at one time, or some such thing. I am a non smoker and there's no after taste from the bladder I use now. You do have to drain the water that is sitting in the tube as you hike or walk, as it gets warm, but the water in the bladder stays amazingly cool. ( high 80s here and the bladder kept the water relatively cool in it's original carrier and in the main compartment of my pack.
I really like the 100 oz bladder and bite valve. Oh, and to mention it, it's not a matter of taking my time, it's just easier. I have to take my time. I had to stop for a rest to catch my breath about every 50 feet for about the first half a mile or more on this last hike! shocked eek
Once I got going (although a smooth trail,it's steep, especially at first) I did better of course. So, it's not about stopping for a drink from a canteen or a bottle, it's just a little smoother, and it's a nice big carrier.
Thanks again people!

#154269 - 09/02/11 06:44 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
No it was a brand new Camelback. He did baking soda trick andit still has a after taste.

#154280 - 09/03/11 03:25 AM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Daryn, Photos can be added by linking to online photo storage sites like Photobucket. I know there are others, Shutterfly,Smugmug, Fiickr, Picassa (Google's) among them. I use Photobucket and with it, you click on the link under the picture then paste it into your post. If it works right, the photo shows up, not the link. Not sure how it works exactly, but that is the theory. It has nothing to do with being a new member, as far as I know.

#154283 - 09/03/11 08:42 AM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: TomD]
daryn Offline

Kent- If it's any help, tell your son to try a bladder full of water with some lemon juice added. ( I would let it sit for 24 hours ) Maybe that will help. As I said, mine is milspec surplus and not a "camelbak" branded one.
Tom, I read the "rule" somewhere and a newb needs ten posts before posting pictures. I am there now and although the pics aren't that exciting, I'll try and post them later today.
Thanks!

#154291 - 09/03/11 11:28 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
daryn Offline

Tried to edit in pics and I got links...
Groan... Have to find our photo bucket account and upload there first. (found it and did this, but did something wrong)

Ok, here goes- tent:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/w...tlForest012.jpg

hops:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/w...tlForest006.jpg

sunrise:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/w...tlForest020.jpg

I had pitched my tent about 2 feet from the bear food... (doh!)
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/w...tlForest018.jpg

on the way down:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/w...tlForest030.jpg

lower reservoir on the way down:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/w...tlForest042.jpg

Not the most exciting pics, but I thought the wild hops were amazing. :-)

Edited by daryn (09/04/11 10:25 PM)

#154439 - 09/07/11 06:52 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
hikerduane Offline

I wish my hops at home were loaded like those.

Duane

#156110 - 10/19/11 11:47 PM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: hikerduane]
daryn Offline

Here's what I did last Sunday-

Raspberry Mountain Hike

6.4 miles roundtrip with an elevation gain of 1000+ feet. Big hike for me and I felt it the next day. This mountain is west of Pikes Peak and the summit is about 10,600ft. The views from the top are splendid! The photos don't really do it justice.
Atb!

#156128 - 10/20/11 10:59 AM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: daryn]
hikerduane Offline

Oh, oh, we have a bping monster on our hands.:)
Duane

#156129 - 10/20/11 11:38 AM Re: Hello from an older "beginner" and a question. [Re: hikerduane]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Daryn,

Hello from Pueblo. Won't be too long it gets too cold to hike up there. I know some trails down here you might be interested in when the time comes. There are some safely open all winter as long as you keep a great eye on the weather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum