Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153461 - 08/06/11 04:51 PM Spices
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I like to carry different spices, but do want to carry multiple bottles. For my next trip I am going to try McCormick "Recipe Inspirations" spice packets, about $2. These have six different spices in very light packets. Unfortunately there are not a lot of flavor choices. I picked the Apple and Sage Pork Chop package- contains sage, garlic, thyme, allspice and paprika. I just put the six packets in one snack-sized zip lock. It all weighs 0.3 oz. Has anyone else used these?

#153477 - 08/07/11 11:29 AM Re: Spices [Re: wandering_daisy]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
I buy my spices from Penzey's. They have a huge variety of spice blends, and are more fresh than what you can buy in the grocery, so they are more potent (and therefore require a smaller amount). Repackage into little zip bags and you don't have the waste to haul out.

MNS

#153505 - 08/08/11 08:26 AM Re: Spices [Re: midnightsun03]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hey, thanks for the head's up on Penzy's. Looks like they have a store not too far from me. Used to buy all my spices from Henry's, but they no longer sell in bulk, only pre-packaged jars like everyone else.

Anyway, back to the OP, I like to make my own spice blends, depending on the dish, and repackage into small Zip Loc bags. For spaghetti it might be one part oregano, two parts basil, a sprinkle of dried rosemary and a half part each of onion salt and garlic powder. Easier, for me, than carrying separate quantities of several spices and herbs.

#153520 - 08/08/11 01:31 PM Re: Spices [Re: Haiwee]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
How do you keep the spices from static clinging to the sides of the plastic bags. I have also found that this annoying characteristic also messes up the zip-lock closures after time. I have never been pleased with spices packed in plastic bags. The packets I cited above are small -each just to add a little bit to one meal. Something good for a short trip where you do not need a lot of spices.

#153525 - 08/08/11 01:57 PM Re: Spices [Re: wandering_daisy]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
I use some small craft-size bags I bought in bulk several years ago from one of the craft stores (Michael's? Jo Anne's?), and, yes, static cling is an issue, although I find by "flicking" the bag with my fingers I can get most of the spices out and keep the zip closure relatively clean. An imperfect system at best, I admit.

#153574 - 08/10/11 10:24 AM Re: Spices [Re: Haiwee]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Yup-

Any place that sells beading materials is likely to sell "bead bags," various sized zip-closed bags. I sometimes tape the bottom to reduce the chance of blow-out if I expect to carry the bag for long, or have it loaded up.

Other possibilities are pill bags or self-made containers. Pill bags are sometimes found in with pill cases and accessories in a pharmacy. Walmart for both options, JoAnn, Michael's, and others for the craft/bead bags. For small quantities of items, consider cutting a couple of rings from the end of a straw, filling the straw with the desired item within an inch or so of the ends, folding the ends and using the rings to hold shut. OR, make your own bag, non-resealable, from cut up potato chip-type bags. Seal with an iron.

CM

#153577 - 08/10/11 11:09 AM Re: Spices [Re: CamperMom]
Frankendude Offline

Walgreen's has nice little ziplock pillbags for about $2.00 for fifty. Heavy duty plastic. These shouldn't blow out under most circumstances. Size is about 2" x 1 1/2"

Edited by Frankendude (08/10/11 11:25 AM)

#153622 - 08/11/11 03:55 PM Re: Spices [Re: Frankendude]
midnightsun03 Offline

Loc: Alaska
Also at bead stores you can find small plastic containers similar to the ones tic-tacs come in, but smaller. Handy for smaller quantities but not compressible. They also have small reclosable tubes.

#153802 - 08/18/11 11:26 AM Re: Spices [Re: midnightsun03]
coloradowalt Offline

I don't use much beyond salt and pepper. I have read about people who use plastic straws. Seal one end, put spices in, seal the other end. They seal the ends by heating the straw and crimping with pliers.

The Straw Trick

#153823 - 08/18/11 06:18 PM Re: Spices [Re: coloradowalt]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
A resealable version of the straw-container is made by cutting small sectons of straw to make "rings." Fold over the end, crimp, slip the ring in place. Done!

CM

#153939 - 08/23/11 01:37 PM Re: Spices [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Packrat that I am I have plenty of 35mm film containers in which I keep the usual suspects: basil, tarragon, red pepper flakes, dill, and a homemade take on Emeril's "BAM". Also one of those little integrated salt-pepper gizmos.

Odd lots of things I use less of go into little contact lens soaking containers, that are perhaps half the size of the film canisters.

Cheers,

#154145 - 08/29/11 07:49 PM Re: Spices [Re: wandering_daisy]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I saw the "Recipe Inspirations" too, but didn't think about using them for backpacking. I love that idea!

Do you cut the packaging apart, or do they all come out in individual packets when you remove the outer cardboard(?) packaging that displays them?

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum