Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152503 - 07/10/11 11:02 AM backpacking North Carolina in winter
wntrhkr Offline

Loc: nc
Hey all,I am from NC and almost all of my backpacking is done in winter..But i can never find anyone who shares my love for winter backpacking..Any ideas? Thank you,wntrhkr

#152506 - 07/10/11 11:26 AM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: wntrhkr]
davids31 Offline

Loc: Cullman, Al
I would love to do some winter backpacking in the mountains, but I live five hours away; makes it tough. Our scout troop usually does backpacking outings from November to February also.

#152508 - 07/10/11 12:04 PM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: davids31]
wntrhkr Offline

Am i the only North Carolina winter Backpacker?? I think not.It may be where i go in the winter...Only the highest NC has to offer,And in the coldest temps..I love to suffer..But the photos i get are hard to beat..

#152643 - 07/13/11 01:48 PM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: wntrhkr]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Sorry, I usually go where there are real mountains. wink Just kidding. I am in Utah and tend to stay here for winter fun.

#152652 - 07/13/11 05:36 PM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: finallyME]
wntrhkr Offline

Yea..I hear ya..hehe...I would love to climb some real mountain.Go above tree line..Your lucky..

#152884 - 07/19/11 10:30 PM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: wntrhkr]
Tipi Walter Offline

Originally Posted By wntrhkr
Am i the only North Carolina winter Backpacker?? I think not.It may be where i go in the winter...Only the highest NC has to offer,And in the coldest temps..I love to suffer..But the photos i get are hard to beat..

I share your interest in winter backpacking in the mountains of NC, and also understand your quest to find the highest points where the temps are the coldest and the snow sometimes deep enough to stall out a trip. There's nothing better than winter backpacking.

#152937 - 07/21/11 10:16 AM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: Tipi Walter]
wntrhkr Offline

Great....I thought i was the only one in NC that did the cold weather thing..Keep in touch and will do a trip this winter..

#153099 - 07/25/11 10:26 PM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: wntrhkr]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I'm into winter backpacking! I'd like go on a trip in NC, where should I go? I'm planning a trip to the Linville Gorge in October. wink

#153209 - 07/29/11 09:34 AM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: ETSU Pride]
wntrhkr Offline

Calloway peak on grandfather mountain is a good place..The gorge is nice also but harder to get in snow and ice..Let me know when you r coming down..

#153246 - 07/30/11 08:36 AM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: wntrhkr]
Banjopickin Offline

Loc: NC
I do many trips in the NC mountains in the winter. I suggest Mt. Mitchell if your looking for some intense snow hiking. I hiked it 2 years ago during "snowmageddon" 2009 and it was amazing. Above 6000' we had snow drifts of 4 feet which is deep for NC. I hiked every inch of trail one weekend last January at Grandfather mtn. which is really nice too. Most of the trail up around Calloway and McCray's peak was solid ice.

The Linville Gorge is my #1 place to hike. I was up there last weekend and it was really hot around 90 degrees. Makes you wish for snow haha. That place can be borderline dangerous in deep winter conditions.

If your looking for some punishing winter backpacking I suggest the BMCT (Black Mountain crest trail). Its been called the "toughest" trail on the East coast. I hiked the 22 mile round trip route two weeks ago. It has several 6000'+ mountains and the trail is pretty rugged. In winter it'd be a 3-4 day hike due to the rugged nature and altitude of the trail.

#153263 - 07/31/11 10:47 AM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: Banjopickin]
wntrhkr Offline

Love the gorge,I've spent many a nites on the rim..Mostly Hawksbill..Never been on the BMCT trail..I did do 5 weeks on the AT in jan-feb of 01 in the GSMNP..I'M ON TOP OF THE WORLD. Not really,but thats what it felt like..

#153709 - 08/14/11 10:56 PM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: wntrhkr]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
My October trip to the gorge is on hold. I'm going to doctor Tuesday and he'll likely tell me I'm have surgery on my knee. Oh well. One day I'll hike that place.

#155154 - 09/27/11 06:13 PM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: Banjopickin]
Lizzzonator Offline

This is slightly of topic but you mentioned Calloway Peak. I am thinking about taking this hike (via the Daniele Boone Scout Trail) in November with some friends. We would be spreading the hike out over two days to enjoy the scenery.

I am not very familiar with the mountain and was hoping you could share some of your knowledge. Is this trail generally crowded in November? I know that the weather can be unpredictable there, have you had any experience with Nov. weather? I have had a lot of hiking/camping experience but am bringing a friend along for her first overnight hiking trip.
Any suggestions of other places for an overnight trip (<10 miles) are also welcome!
Thanks!

#155287 - 09/30/11 10:06 PM Re: backpacking North Carolina in winter [Re: Lizzzonator]
Banjopickin Offline

Loc: NC
The trail can be crowded most any weekend. If you want to avoid the crowds go during the week. November weather brings cold temps and possibly snow/ice later in the month and at high elevations, like Calloway peak. check out Grandfather Mountain's webiste, Grandfather Mountain. I would pay close attention to the weather forecast before your trip just to be sure. One of my favorite hikes is from NC 105 over Calloway peak to NC 221 and back over again. Its tough but very cool. Keep in mind that there are ladders you have to climb up so if its really icy I might want to avoid it and hike the Profile trail instead off of NC 105. Its a great hike though. Have fun!!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com