Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152428 - 07/08/11 12:56 AM Who's got the oldest bag you still use?...
rabbitearscarver Offline

Loc: Steamboat Springs, CO
I'm not proud to admit it, but I have a Class 5 Equipage bag I've owned and regularly used since 1972! I think they were made in Berkeley. The thread about Western Mountaineering vs Feathered Friends got me thinking about a new bag!

#152429 - 07/08/11 01:05 AM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: rabbitearscarver]
rabbitearscarver Offline

Loc: Steamboat Springs, CO
Just found this cool website I had never seen before, all about vintage backpacking gear, here's the Class 5 page:
Class 5

#152431 - 07/08/11 01:59 AM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: rabbitearscarver]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I went camping with my older sister last August and discovered she was still using an REI down bag, the barrel-shaped "Icelandic" model, that she acquired in 1971. Needless to say it had lost some loft in the intervening decades. I recommended a newer bag. She said she'd consider it.

My wife has a big old flannel-lined Eddie Bauer sleeping bag with a cotton cover and lord knows what kind of batting inside that she got as a gift in 1963. She hasn't used it in many years, though. We keep it more out of nostalgia than utility.

We both regularly use some synthetic fill bags we bought in 1984, but only for car camping these days.

#152432 - 07/08/11 03:22 AM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: rabbitearscarver]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
My still favorite bag, a North Face semi-rectangular, was bought in 1984. Down lasts a lifetime if cared for.

#152441 - 07/08/11 09:19 AM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: rabbitearscarver]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I still have, but don't use, an Eddie Bauer down mummy bag I bought directly from the Bauer factory in Seattle in 1954: Sewn through construction and not particularly warm. It replaced a WW-II surplus, down arctic bag liner (circa 1943) which I also still have and still use on rare occasions. Both bags have considerable sentimental value and are still in good shape after all these years. FWIW, I still have 120' of hemp climbing rope from my earliest climbing days. I need to clean my gear closet!

Edited by Pika (07/08/11 09:21 AM)

#152447 - 07/08/11 11:23 AM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: rabbitearscarver]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
REI down mummy sleeping bag from 1970 or 1971. Got it for a Boy Scout 50-miler. Still use it as a winter comforter over my 30 degree WM when snow camping.

#152456 - 07/08/11 01:15 PM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: Pika]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I think we have a winnah!

I too have an REI McKinley half-zip (center) mummy bag from circa '70 or so, which I've turned over to the fam for whatever use they may see fit. It's awfully bulky for backpacking but for car camping you won't be cold in the thing--no way, no how. I think I still have an early '70s Eddie Bauer down "liner" bag--sewn through baffles, no zip. I used it for many years as the core of my Sierra sleep system inside a GT bivy with a shorty T-rest. A surprisingly flexible and light system.

Both were made in Seattle. The REI bag freed me from the family's enormous rectangular Coleman bag (kapok?) that was only warm enough for summer camp--barely. I suffered in that dang thing every Boy Scout trip I took. It never occurred to me that you could be warm sleeping in the woods.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Pika
I still have, but don't use, an Eddie Bauer down mummy bag I bought directly from the Bauer factory in Seattle in 1954: Sewn through construction and not particularly warm. It replaced a WW-II surplus, down arctic bag liner (circa 1943) which I also still have and still use on rare occasions. Both bags have considerable sentimental value and are still in good shape after all these years. FWIW, I still have 120' of hemp climbing rope from my earliest climbing days. I need to clean my gear closet!

#152480 - 07/09/11 07:04 AM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: OldScout]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
1976 down bag, whose down was cannibalized next year for my first DIY (lighter, snugger (?)) mummy bag. Still use it sometimes.

#152505 - 07/10/11 11:20 AM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: frenchie]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Rick D: right back at you with a North Face down bag that is from 1970 or so. And yeah, our daughter used it this April on our hike through the Inka Trail to Machu Picchu!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#152897 - 07/20/11 09:47 AM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: aimless]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Aimless, interesting.

I thought I probably had the last Icelandic in existence; certainly the last one in regular use. One small correction; the Icelandic was made not by REI but by a British (Scottish) company called Blacks of Greenach or, originally, I believe, Thos. Black and Sons. The company was originally a sailmaker, and they made the sails for one of the (I think) Antarctic expeditions (Amundson?) and were asked while they were at it to make tents and bags. They continued to make such gear, and somewhere in the early 20th century were contracted to design and make a sleeping system for the Canadian Arctic Survey.

The system involved a canvas outer bag, two down bags, one inside the other, and a muslin liner, plus a separate hood and (originally) a kapok pad(closed cell egg-crate foam by the time I got mine). The inner bag was about a pound of down, the outer bag, I think, about 2 1/2 pounds. They were/are barrel shape and zip all the way around.

They can also be zipped together too make a double (which is the way I usually use it today. Handy, in summer, the inner on top, in winter, the outer on top. I also use them both in cotton covers as duvets quite regularly. Also, you could get them in either cotton or nylon (by the time I got mine). I had the inner done in cotton, which made it a wonderful summer bag (though a bit heavy). I carried it most of the way on my first thru-hike.

I bought it sometime around 1965, when Blacks had an operation in Ogdensburg, NY. I also have a small two-person tent bought about the same time that is about five pounds and dry as a bone the last time I had it in the rain.

Best, jcp

#153014 - 07/23/11 05:47 PM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: balzaccom]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I have a Holubar double bag from 1962. The down is still great, although the zippers are a bit cranky. I also have some Bedayn biners from about 1960 - no longer used for critical applications.....

#153016 - 07/23/11 08:29 PM Re: Who's got the oldest bag you still use?... [Re: oldranger]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I have a Snow Lion Mt. Light puchased around 1978. I used it two trips ago in the Smokies. It kept me warm in much lower temps than rated. I also have a small internal frame Wilderness Experience pack. This pack was purchased at same time and is still used for daypacking and coyote hunting gear. For those of you not familiar with Wilderness Experience gear I beleive they are now called Lowe!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum