Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152890 - 07/20/11 02:49 AM tent poles as a multi use
alpha bears Offline

Loc: Stottville, New York
Before i start with my general topic, i would like to say that i am a newbe here on this forum and it will take time for me to adjust to everything and to thanks everyone for accepting me.

I looked at alot of posts and other forums under the topic of multi usages for the tent poles but found none. My idea is to improvise other things for the tent poles other than well, holding a tent together. I had the idea of converting tent poles to a bow and arrow for hunters wanna be, but also as a fishing reel and others. I wanted to know what others have in mind about using tent poles for other usages and what they might use it for and also to see what they think of that idea, using tent poles for other contecs.

#152892 - 07/20/11 07:30 AM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: alpha bears]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Welcome to the forums; a fresh voice is always a good thing. Particularly if it causes us to start thinking outside the box, and your post is certainly that.

With one exception, I don't anticipate using my tent poles for other things - I consider shelter a top priority, and don't want to try rigging my tent and fly without the poles if I break them. The one exception is that, if I use a frameless pack (like the Granite Gear Virga), I will use my tent poles inside my folded sleeping pad to create a "virtual" pack frame with stays. They do a good job of stiffening the pad, and helping transfer the weight to the hips. (Of course, with that pack, there really isn't much weight to transfer - it's comfort range tops out at 20 pounds.)

You may find that most people would go the other way - using something else they carry to double as tent poles. Many people do this with tarps, or tarplike shelters; they use their hiking poles as tent poles. Without some short, auxiliary pole, this limits the shelter shape to one or two basic types: A-frame or pyramid. (There are several modifications of the A-frame style.) If you want to see examples of this, go to the Tarptent or Six Moon Designs websites, among others. (I've done this with two styles: the flat rectangular tarp, usually pitched A-Frame style (perhaps with one end lower than the other), and the Integral Designs Silshelter, which is a shaped tarp that pitches mostly like an A-Frame with two closed ends.

I've also seen other uses, such as fishing poles, for hiking poles.

However, don't give up on the idea of using tent poles for something else - just because I wouldn't do it, doesn't mean it's a bad idea, or one not worth further effort.

#152898 - 07/20/11 10:01 AM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: Glenn]
alpha bears Offline

Thanks Glenn for your opinion.

I did think of the idea that tent poles are mainly for one purpose, to hold tents together. I wouldn't use tent poles out in the outdoors if i had a tent with me. But it did occur to me while cleaning the basement that i found some super light, small tent poles without the tent. And it gave me the idea of using those poles for something else. After all, there are no tents nor any form of shelters that i have found in which those tent poles may belong to, and instead of leaving it there for ever, i tought maybe a small project on my own would be great.

But i do agree with you that most people use the poles for shelter purpose.

Thanks for the reply.

#152908 - 07/20/11 02:44 PM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: alpha bears]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
As Glenn mentioned, many of us go the other way--we use our trekking poles to hold up the tent so we don't have to carry tent poles.

Old tent poles (without tent) could conceivably be useful for quite a few things, and I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

And welcome to the forum!

#152928 - 07/20/11 10:25 PM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: OregonMouse]
Vincent Mattiola Offline

Just to clarify, are you talking about tent poles that are collapsible and are like six parts with elastic in between that fit into each other? Or old school straight one-piece poles?

#152929 - 07/20/11 11:10 PM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: Vincent Mattiola]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Hello Alpha Bears welcome to the forum. I like your idea of tent pole convert to fishing pole. Pretty neat one.

I do agree with Glenn however, it is a bit risky to be messing around with tent poles in the event that they break you are out of luck.

Just another thought to go along....Lay the pole between two trees to create a clothesline and have yourself a place to dry some clothes.

#152949 - 07/21/11 01:11 PM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: alpha bears]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
The problem with using a tent pole as a fishing pole is that tent poles are designed to handle compression, whereas a fishing pole is under tension when casting. When you cast, the elastic may not hold the sections together. You may have to be extremely careful with each cast or have to reassemble the pole after each cast.

#152966 - 07/21/11 10:32 PM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: Vincent Mattiola]
alpha bears Offline

The tent poles are like six parts with elastic in between. The new ones i think.

Yeah, thats the problem with converting tent poles into fishing rods or any other tools. But i did think of actually making a home made cayak with the tent poles i found and wrap it in a tarp of some sort or plastic or even duct tape. But the problem i am facing is actually knowing the flex and tension limit of the tent poles, not that it would be under tension. And i would duct tape the poles together. And if i have to hike or go somewhere, i can always undo the tarp or plastic, fold the tent poles and carry them like it was a tent or shelter. But i am not sure as if it will work. I will try to see how it goes. After all, its a not so serious project which is going to have trial and errors.

Edited by alpha bears (07/21/11 10:39 PM)

#152967 - 07/22/11 12:24 AM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: alpha bears]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I have used tent poles for a different purpose than what they were intended. They worked ok for a while but the weak link is the elastic cord that runs down the centre. Once that cord breaks it is hard to repair.

#152973 - 07/22/11 10:34 AM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: alpha bears]
AaronMB Offline

Depending on (well, lots of things, I guess!) your alternative applications for the tent poles, you 'might' be able to use some tubing over the pole joints in order to keep them together. If you can find the right inner diameter, it may be snug enough for the purpose but lose enough to let you slide it back and forth when needed. It would be convenient and save the work/mess of d'tape.

#152974 - 07/22/11 11:23 AM Re: tent poles as a multi use [Re: AaronMB]
alpha bears Offline

Thank you everyone for the help and the few ideas. I will see what i can do. I will still work on my intended project and try different alternatives and keep you updated on the result.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum