Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152559 - 07/11/11 04:03 PM Keeping young teens entertained
mana Offline

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to keep young teens (12-15) entertained while out camping especially in the afternoon/night after the days activities have been completed. Certain games, stories, etc. Thanks!

#152616 - 07/12/11 07:55 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: mana]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
When our oldest was younger - he is nearly 14 now - say between 6 and 11 years - he hiked with me on most trips. Since it ws just him I never had an issue with him bringing his Nintendo along. It was only for camp, only after dark (or if it was too cold or buggy to be outside). It gave him something to relax with and fun.
Not everyone agrees with my method....but hey he hiked adult miles and did my trips so I figured he could have fun.

It is different if you have lots of kids along though....but teens are a different lot. If they like video games and have a system don't necessarily say no - just have ground rules on them.

#152637 - 07/13/11 12:25 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: mana]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
It really depends on how many you have. If you have a decent group (around 8 or more) a good game or two of capture the flag sure kills the time. If you have less then there is fire starting (making it a challenge), having them cook dinner or set up camp, or just kicking them out of camp to explore. Believe it or not, teenagers are big enough to explore without adult supervision. If you have boys of any age (teenager or younger) throwing rocks or sticks is always fun. Girls might or might not go for that, though. Then there is climbing rocks and trees. My scouts like to play this game called Ninja Strike. I don't really know the rules, but it keeps them entertained. I would say that teenagers are old enough and smart enough to come up with something to entertain themselves. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

#152667 - 07/13/11 11:46 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: mana]
rabbitearscarver Offline

Loc: Steamboat Springs, CO
One word (for boys): Slingshots. They love 'em.

#152724 - 07/15/11 07:47 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: mana]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If they're girls, boys; if they're boys, girls. smile

Creeks always work well, especially if there's a little waterfall or a log to try to cross - or almost cross.

#152788 - 07/18/11 12:32 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: Glenn]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Glenn
If they're girls, boys; if they're boys, girls. smile

Keep a close eye on them. You want to come back with the same number of kids you left with. Gaining one is not as bad as losing one.. but still pretty bad.

Though I will have to say, I snagged my wife as a teenage on a camping trip.

#152791 - 07/18/11 01:34 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: mana]
mana Offline

Thanks everyone for your input!

#152815 - 07/18/11 04:57 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: BZH]
Glenn Offline

We may need a bit more information: were you also a teenager at the time? smile

#152817 - 07/18/11 05:02 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: BZH]
Glenn Offline

I used to have a Scout that didn't want to stay with the group. After the third time I had to go run him down when he decided to do some impromptu re-routing of himself, he said, "Why are you so worried about always knowing where I am?"

I don't know what inspired me, but I told him, "Because your parents didn't pay the extra ten bucks."

When he asked what I meant, I told him, "Well, I told all the parents that for the $15 trip fee, I'd bring you out here, let you have a good time, and bring you home. For an extra $10, I'd bring you out here and let you have a good time. Your folks didn't want to pay the extra $10."

No more problems. Sometimes, you just have to explain it in terms they understand.

#152847 - 07/19/11 02:19 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: Glenn]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I will stick my neck out here and say that older teens, with some experience, are capable of going on an overnight by themselves. You need to loosen the noose as they grow up! By the time they do their own route-finding, cook all meals, set up camp etc, they will be quite busy. As they go off to college they undoubtedly will go out with buddies and you will have absolutely no influence or say. As high school juniors or seniors, you can ease them into this by helping with the planning phase, be sure they are properly equipped and trained, and then just let them go. If there is cell phone coverage they can call you once they get to their destination. At some point you need to trust them.

#152850 - 07/19/11 03:30 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: Glenn]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By Glenn
We may need a bit more information: were you also a teenager at the time? smile

hahahaha... yes... all laws were followed (at least on that trip).

#152856 - 07/19/11 04:58 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

A couple of times, we planned two congruent trips, with the less-experienced group and adult leaders taking one trail, and the older, more experienced group taking another loop that had them spending a night on their own. Each group knew where the other was hiking and camping, in case some need to make contact arose, but the older ones were really on their own - even though there was only a couple of miles between us. We used a national forest they'd been to before, so they'd feel more comfortable.

They had a great time, and kept going back after they had aged out of the youth group. (A couple even volunteered as adult leaders a few times.)

#152960 - 07/21/11 05:13 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: wandering_daisy]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I will stick my neck out here and say that older teens, with some experience, are capable of going on an overnight by themselves. You need to loosen the noose as they grow up! By the time they do their own route-finding, cook all meals, set up camp etc, they will be quite busy. As they go off to college they undoubtedly will go out with buddies and you will have absolutely no influence or say. As high school juniors or seniors, you can ease them into this by helping with the planning phase, be sure they are properly equipped and trained, and then just let them go. If there is cell phone coverage they can call you once they get to their destination. At some point you need to trust them.

This reminds me of a trip I took during spring break my senior year. I went with two of my friends for 2 nights up in the Cascades. We ran into a lot of problems, but had a great time.

#152961 - 07/21/11 06:51 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
W_D is so right about the older teens! For the younger ones, teach them how to route-find, set up camp, "go" outdoors, LNT, etc., so they will have the necessary skills when they start going on their own. Then you won't have to worry, or at least won't transmit your worries to them.

As a parent of 4 (now with children of their own), I found that we parents never stop worrying, but we at least learn to pretend that we don't! laugh

Edited by OregonMouse (07/21/11 06:52 PM)

#156378 - 10/27/11 01:22 AM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I remember some of my backpacking trips at 16 without adult supervision... I hope my kids were never that dumb..

Then again, I suppose it did make me smarter, and didn't kill me, so maybe I do hope my kids were that dumb. Maybe more kids should be that dumb wink
Browse my pictures

#156407 - 10/27/11 04:43 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: phat]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada
phat,

My parents were very lenient, and helped us convince other kids' parents to let them go on some great trips. We started backpacking at age 12 without adults and minimal equipment. Dad made us take a machete instead of an axe because it wassafer.

We also spent a week on an island in Cheasapeake Bay two summers in a row with just for 4 kids. It was like the "Lord of the Flies" when the food ran low and we fought over it. Those experiences really taught us some independence. Kids today go off to college with less experience.

#190400 - 04/28/15 01:00 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: mana]
SurvivalDad Offline

I let mine have an MP3 player with whatever they want on it. Oddly enough enough, they both choose audiobooks.

#192339 - 10/27/15 01:38 AM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: mana]
textesting Offline

Loc: shanghai,china
Chatting casually sounds great. Make conversations that attracts your teens.

#201501 - 08/06/18 01:44 PM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: sarbar]
Sharbear Offline

Loc: MO
There are a verity of things to keep teens entertained. I think the best thing to so is to make a plan. Pick activities and pack accordingly. This will make everything go smoothly.

#201584 - 08/23/18 12:20 AM Re: Keeping young teens entertained [Re: mana]
wildnfree Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Az
Don't bring a Nintendo or smart phone to entertain them while camping. They need to enjoy the nature and learn much more than that.
Slingshots, fishing... may be the best ideas for kids and young teens.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum