Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152634 - 07/13/11 11:44 AM Hiking boots
Quigley Offline

Loc: Alabama, USA
Howdy ya'll

I been hiking off and on for the past couple of years but using my works boots. They are good boots with steel toes but are comfortable.
The other day was my birthday and my mother-inlaw gave me a gift card to Dicks sporting goods and I was thinking of getting a new pair of hiking boots with the card. Problem is I don't know anything about their brands and I hate anything made in China. Does anyone here know which brands would hold up better and are comfortable?

#152635 - 07/13/11 12:07 PM Re: Hiking boots [Re: Quigley]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
First go there and try on all the pairs. Some will fit, and others won't. Once you have narrowed it down to the ones that fit, you can search on the net for reliability. The more specific your search, the more answers you will get.

#152636 - 07/13/11 12:15 PM Re: Hiking boots [Re: Quigley]
lori Offline

You'll have to try them on and see what fits.

All the lighter synthetic shoes and boots are going to be good for a few hundred miles at best... I've gotten 500-600 miles out of some trail shoes, and less out of others, and it doesn't seem to be anything you can predict. All are going to be the same materials, but all are designed differently.

But, you get a pair of hiking shoes that fit you and you will see a huge difference in comfort! I will never wear boots again unless it's winter. I've got some trail runners that are so comfy I can wear them all day with no soreness at the end of the day. With a pack weight between 20-30 lbs there's not really a huge need for heavy duty boots for walking on trails.

You are going to want something that gives you enough room in the toe box that you're not banging on the fronts going downhill, and doesn't chafe the heel repeatedly - beyond that, what works for you won't be the same as what works for anyone else, since everyone has different feet. It's hard to make recommendations beyond generalities - I have had poor luck with some brands and better luck with others, but only because of fit, not the shoe itself.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#152642 - 07/13/11 01:11 PM Re: Hiking boots [Re: lori]
Quigley Offline

I have had poor luck with some brands and better luck with others, but only because of fit, not the shoe itself. [/quote]

Well said. Think I'll take ya'll's advice and just go try them all on. Thanks.

#152647 - 07/13/11 02:54 PM Re: Hiking boots [Re: Quigley]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hope their boot selection is better than their other gear selection; I'm not impressed with much in their camping department.

I'd use the gift certificate for golf or other sports gear, and take that money to a backpacking shop where they not only will have better quality, but are also more likely to have people that know how to fit you.

I'll freely admit this is highly biased, and based on a lot of browsing-but-not-buying at Dick's - and probably some terminal resentment that they ruined Galyan's when they absorbed it.

#152676 - 07/14/11 10:04 AM Re: Hiking boots [Re: Glenn]
Quigley Offline

Well I was going to use it towards another rifle but then thought I could use another pair of shoes for hiking. Only thing I do with golf is shot golf balls. LOL!
I haven't been impressed with their camping supplies either. My wife and kids gave me a scanoe from them for my birthday a week back and it was great.(scanoe is the model you can mount a trolling motor on the back)
Gonna see what they have to offer this afternoon and go from there.

#152689 - 07/14/11 08:14 PM Re: Hiking boots [Re: Quigley]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A majority of us use trail running shoes rather than boots for hiking. I was a late convert, until I finally tried the shoes. I'll never go back to boots, except for deep snow (which I normally don't hike in)!

The best place to look for trail running shoes and someone who knows how to fit them is in a good running shoe store. I doubt you'll find anything good at stores like Dick's, Big5, Sports Authority.

#152722 - 07/15/11 07:40 PM Re: Hiking boots [Re: Quigley]
HenryFJr Offline

I'm a big fan of Merrell's. I've had mine for about 5 years n theyve had a lot of wear n tear and are holding up well.

If you want to look elsewhere besides Dicks, i know sportsmansguide has deals on boots pretty periodically.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum