Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152576 - 07/11/11 10:44 PM Extreme backpacking
wntrhkr Offline

Loc: nc
Ok peeps,Any extreme backpackers out there?Im ready to share storys and talk about gear used.Maybe i could learn something or someone could learn something from me.Im always looking to lose something from the pack i really dont need or replace with more (uptodate) stuff.I am a gear freak,If its cool ill prob buy itI dont like getting wet and my tent has to be single wall clip.This year i went with the EV2..(not smiling), my cooking is done with the MSR reactor,Pack is a bora 80,Beta ar pants and jacket shell, Mid is the Gamma ar pants and jacket,Base is a North face union suit..I also carry a mammut castor jacket for when there is no precip.Want to get the pants soon..So any replys would help break the ice here..Thanks all

#152578 - 07/11/11 11:30 PM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: wntrhkr]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I am not sure that I can help with this one...but wanted to officially welcome you anyway.

We're not gear heads, but we do put in time on the trails--over 600 miles in the past four years. And we do it with a collection of gear that is relatively light and relatively cheap. But we're not extreme...and we do err on the safe rather than sorry side.

You can get a complete list of our equipment on our website...and I'm happy to discuss any and all items on the list!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#152582 - 07/12/11 12:01 AM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: balzaccom]
rodwha Offline

Loc: Texas...for now
Hello!
I have done lots of camping, but very little backpacking so I'm not the one to talk to about preferable gear as most of mine is considered too heavy.
My GF and I are looking at stoves and I keep eyeballing the MSR Reactor as I'm about efficiency. How do you like it? How well does it work with other cookware?
She thinks it's too big and heavy. It's lighter than my Coleman!

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#152584 - 07/12/11 12:24 AM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: wntrhkr]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome!

I don't think any of us are in the "extreme" category (unless you so consider Wandering_Daisy and a few other members who do a lot of off-trail backpacking), but we do a lot of backpacking here, and nearly all of us do it lightweight. (See the motto at the top of the page!)

There are a lot of articles on the home page of this site, listed in the left-hand column, that will help you reduce your pack weight so you can do more with less effort!

#152593 - 07/12/11 09:31 AM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: rodwha]
wntrhkr Offline

Hey Bob ,and thanks for the input.I got the reactor because most of my backpacking is done in winter with high winds.I also have the MSR pocket rocket,Its a great little stove and has never let me down.Its compact,lite and would work great for 3 season campers.

#152598 - 07/12/11 11:39 AM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: wntrhkr]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Define "extreme backpacking", please.

#152600 - 07/12/11 11:54 AM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: finallyME]
wntrhkr Offline

I would say extreme for me is below 0,a trail of ice high winds.Maybe my sn should be lvs2suffer..hehe

#152609 - 07/12/11 01:12 PM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: wntrhkr]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Welcome aboard. I've been solo winter camping in sub zero F temps a few times. It is ok, kinda tough to stay busy but I just go mid morning, set camp up and dottle around to keep my feet warm as day time temps only get into the 20's so it isn't too bad. I now have warmer gear so next time I encounter those temps, I should have warmer feet. My backup is my snowmobile, as I use it once in a while to get to areas only a sled can get in to because of distance. A quick out in the AM too.

Duane

#152610 - 07/12/11 01:27 PM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: hikerduane]
wntrhkr Offline

hiking in winter on them tops really gives me food for the soul..

#152612 - 07/12/11 01:36 PM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: wntrhkr]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
We have quite a few winter backpackers here, and we have a forum section specifically for winter camping! It get a lot of activity in the winter, but tends to fall into the doldrums at this time of year. "Winter Backcountry Travel" is the last section under "Other Activities"--just keep going down the forum list.

Edited by OregonMouse (07/12/11 01:40 PM)

#152621 - 07/12/11 10:54 PM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: OregonMouse]
rodwha Offline

Loc: Texas...for now
Down here in Texas winter camping is the best. All of the natives believe it's cold and stay home. I've had the Lost Maples State Park all to myself for nearly a week! awesome
My GF was interested in the Pocket Rocket. I'm trying to sway her into a more efficient stove. Which of the 2 handles a 10" frying pan/pot better (more stable)?

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#152623 - 07/12/11 11:16 PM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: rodwha]
wntrhkr Offline

your stove at home would do just fine i think...hehe

#152624 - 07/12/11 11:21 PM Re: Extreme backpacking [Re: wntrhkr]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Welcome to the Forums!

I mostly do winter backpacking off trail but I don't really consider what I do extreme. I've done some below 0º nights, but we don't get many days here that are that cold (none that I remember). And I don't post much in the "Winter Backcountry Travel " forum because we don't get a lot of snow here either.

All that said, compared to most backpackers here, what I do is actually kind of extreme because most backpackers here don't do it how I do. Most hike on trails in the Spring or Fall, but December thru February they stay inside. For me those are prime time hiking days, but I usually bust loose when the weather is nice, and avoid extreme weather. Still, when I ask if anyone wants to go the usual reply is "You want to go where?", and they think I'm extreme, if that counts for anything laugh

I'd say according to your definition JimShaw and Wondering_Daisey are probably our two most prominent "Extremist". I wouldn't say they considering themselves to be so, but after getting to know them a bit, and comparing their styles to my own and others I've hiked with, they've earned that title and few would argue they haven't. Both have done a lot of extreme weather backpacking by my standards, and climbing by anyones. You might want to go over some of their old posts, they're a good read and you'll find a lot of wisdom in them, and be sure to read Wondering_Daisey's "Trip Reports". This year she's already done more extreme backpacking than I have in my entire life wink

balzaccom gets out there a lot, and compared to most of us here he and his wife have done some impressive trips. While not really extreme in a dangerous way, to me, they too exemplify what backing really is and they employ a high standard while doing it. They go places that we'd all love to go too. Read up on their "Trip Reports" and check out their blog. Great stuff there.

One thing we all have in common is a love to hear about each others outings. I can't go backpacking here right now. It's way too hot, and even if I could survive that the chiggers would devour me in less than a week, but I still love to hear about where others are going and see photos of their trips. You can even post about your old trips, they'd all be new to me laugh

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum