Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152467 - 07/08/11 08:32 PM Place to go
kramodog82 Offline

So my brother and I want to go on a backpacking trip. We were thinking about going to the Grand Teton National Park. I was looking at it though and evidently they stop taking reservations in May and they say the competition for back country backpacking permits is pretty stiff during the time that we have taken to go. Anyone have any experience going up there without prior reservations? Or maybe any ideas about other places we could go this time of year where we wouldnt have the same problems? we are driving from Houston-ish Texas so we are thinking about 30hrs max of driving ideally.

#152497 - 07/09/11 06:54 PM Re: Place to go [Re: kramodog82]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
(1) When do you plan to go? Note that because of the unusually high snowpack and cold wet spring, the snowmelt is almost a month later than normal this year all over the western US, except for AZ and NM, which are suffering extreme drought (if it isn't one thing, it's another!). While all areas from southern Colorado northward have above-normal snow, it seems to be worse as you go north. If you're planning to go before August, you will probably have major problems with both lingering snow and high water at stream crossings.

(2) There are many mountain ranges all over the western US which are just as scenic and far less crowded than those in national parks, including the Tetons. Most of them are part of good-sized national forest wilderness areas. The one problem for all of these areas, this year, is the delayed snow melt.

#152520 - 07/10/11 07:37 PM Re: Place to go [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
OM provides very good advice....

#152522 - 07/10/11 08:52 PM Re: Place to go [Re: oldranger]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I've also talked to the rangers at Great Basin National Park, who say their trails are open and things look good there. It's a long drive from our house...but not as long as the one to the Tetons!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#152571 - 07/11/11 09:19 PM Re: Place to go [Re: kramodog82]
kramodog82 Offline

we are going right at the first of august... we were also thinking about the canyonlands as a possible alternative (Ive got some people in SLC that I wouldn't mind visiting =)

#152572 - 07/11/11 09:24 PM Re: Place to go [Re: OregonMouse]
kramodog82 Offline

So I like the less crowded Idea but being from Texas I dont know where to start looking for other places to go. Do you have any specific recommendations for places to go?

#152583 - 07/12/11 12:17 AM Re: Place to go [Re: kramodog82]
mschwar Offline

Fellow fresh board member and Texan (Austin) reporting in. I made a trip to Canyonlands NP in June. I had never been to that part of the country before and absolutely loved the entire area. Give it some serious thought as a destination.

I didn't think the drive was bad at all. I left after work on a Friday, crashed in Lubbock that night, and lazily made the rest of the drive to arrive well before sunset the next day.

The climate was great as well. It gets warm during the day and there is usually little or no shade, but there is zero humidity and it cools off to be very pleasant during the night. Not surprisingly water sources are scarce so extended backpacking takes some planning. The park materials cover it all though and clearly indicate where sources are available.

As for crowds: Moab is the tourist hub of the area and was packed to the rafters. Arches National Park is right to the north of Moab and was obnoxiously crowded - like no parking spaces at the trailheads crowded. It was worth the visit to dayhike around the sites, but I was annoyed with the crowds too much to really enjoy it.

There are two main entry points to Canyonlands that are accessible with a normal car - Island in the Sky and the Needles. Island in the sky is closer to Moab and therefore more crowded. The Needles is at least a good hour away from Moab and therefore gets much less attention. I didn't have time to do any extended outings (was chained to a computer working during many of the days), but there looked to be some great multi-night trips to be made out of the trails starting from the Needles.

All in all its a really unique and beautiful part of the country.

#152606 - 07/12/11 01:04 PM Re: Place to go [Re: mschwar]
kramodog82 Offline

Thanks man.. I had pretty much decided that it would be a cool place but now I think I have to go. Thanks for your comments.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum