Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152509 - 07/10/11 12:30 PM Re: career change, need advice [Re: ]
lori Offline

Look at Outward Bound, and any of the bazillion outdoor guiding places. There's a lot more of this going on than you'd think.

Things you'll need to do - look at the classes offered by NOLS. You can easily spend thousands and thousands of dollars on outdoor certifications. Upwards of 15-20k, easy. Any time you take someone into the national parks there are additional fees - you need to get set up with them, permitting can cost you. Same with any other jurisdiction including national forests.

If you start your own business doing this sort of thing, and intend to provide transport as well, expect to front 50-100,000 bucks the first year - insurance for driving a van full of customers to a trailhead runs upwards of $15,000 annually, not counting the cost of the van, fuel, and your commercial driver's license.

If you do more than hike and backpack - like mountaineering, climbing, fishing, expert photographer, etc - you will be more marketable.

Yes, I've looked at this myself. Yes, it's not what I'm pursuing, because frankly, it would cost more than I would be making... And, I organize outings for people in my hiking group all the time. Frankly, there's no predicting what people will decide to do at any time and the experiences I've had make me leery of doing anything in the wilderness with a commercial/nonprofit.

Edited by aimless (07/10/11 03:40 PM)
Edit Reason: moderator removed brief reference to deleted post

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#152511 - 07/10/11 03:31 PM Re: career change, need advice [Re: lori]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
A hobby does not make a profession. You need to get hired by an official outdoor school and get some outdoor experience to put on your resume or marketing (if you go out on your own). Your teaching experience does count A LOT! A lot of hot shot outdoorsmen think they can teach and they really cannot. The guiding business is very difficult to get into and carries a lot of liability. Your current teaching credentials will get you a lot farther in outdoor education, specifically that for youth or troubled youth. Unfortunately most of these jobs have horrible pay, few benifits, and target mainly young people who have no family obligations. Also, is your family ready to have you away from home most of the time?

I think you have the ideal job right now! You just do not like the organization you are working for. What about just getting a teaching job, in a private school?

Edited by aimless (07/10/11 03:39 PM)
Edit Reason: moderator removed brief reference to deleted post

#152518 - 07/10/11 05:37 PM Re: career change, need advice [Re: wandering_daisy]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
In keeping with the private school theme, perhaps consider a military school. I'm sure the cadets must get some outdoors training.

My limited experience with teaching (briefly taught high school) and other teachers suggests that private schools will probably pay less and have fewer benefits than public schools. Already public school teachers are hardly overpaid.

#152519 - 07/10/11 07:35 PM Re: career change, need advice [Re: ]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
consider working for some government entity that provides outdoor education. In the NPS, such people are called interpreters or park naturalists.

Your credentials and experience make you quite competitive for such a position.

#152526 - 07/10/11 11:35 PM Re: career change, need advice [Re: oldranger]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
It is quite competitive. I have a few friends who graduated college with a bachelors in Outdoor Recreation and Management degrees. Some do have jobs, one is a raft guide on the Penobscot River, one used to work for Acadia National Park teaching children about the outdoors and ecology, but now works at kids camps doing various outdoor activities including canoeing, kayaking, and hiking. There are a few others who have regular jobs that do not pertain to their degree at all. But I believe some of that may have something to do with the recession, and also not knowing where they want to live and bunker down for a while.

I would definitely suggestion some sort of degree to give you the edge over non-degree searchers.

#152599 - 07/12/11 11:46 AM Re: career change, need advice [Re: ]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have no idea about this, but I do have some food for thought.

The school system in Washington State is totally different than the one in Tennessee. Although I didn't go to school in Tn, I did go to school in the Seattle area, along with a bunch of other states. Every state has a different system. My point here is you might like teaching public school in Washington. Something to think about.

#152603 - 07/12/11 12:13 PM Re: career change, need advice [Re: ]
mana Offline

Sorry I can't help you but I did just want to say it is great that you want to work with kids in the great outdoors. Kids nowadays are just stuck in the house watching tv, playing video games... we need to get them out there interacting with nature!! The best of luck!

#155671 - 10/11/11 01:51 PM Re: career change, need advice [Re: ]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada
I am a retired environmental consultant, with an MS in forestry from the U of WA. Seattle is a great choice in the center of "ecotopia." People there have a highly developed sense of the outdoors and natural resources in general. Plus it is a large urban population that provides opportunity.

You are on the right track. You will need CPR, first aid, even EMT training. People skills are really important. Outdoor experiences push people and can make them uncomfortable and therefore stressed. Any new skills will help ie. canoes, rafts, pack horses, dog sledding, x-c skiing, mountaineering, etc.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum