Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#151617 - 06/18/11 01:45 AM Tent footprints - other uses
Narf Offline

Loc: Missouri
Last trip I did we got rained on a bit, were using friend's hubba hubba and for some reason he packed the footprint (never have used it in the past). Anywho, the footprint strung up - while was not very big - made for a decent out of the rain kitchen space for the nights meal.

Got me thinking....I ALWAYS see tent footprints in clearance and closeouts for rather cheap. Was thinking about picking one up to play with as they usually are of decent construction. Usually have corner reinforced grommets, folded/lined edges, durable materials. Not the lightest of weight tarps either, but it could serve it's purpose.

Anyone fool around with repurposing tent footprints?

#151622 - 06/18/11 09:17 AM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: Narf]
lori Offline

Nope! Tent footprints of the kind made for the tent are too heavy.

I do however use 2mm - 10mm plastic for footprints. The primary purpose for the plastic is as sit pad, rain skirt (duct tape and a trash bag work surprisingly well), or a groundsheet while tarping. Having something that's lighter than a tent footprint and also larger gives one a great deal of versatility.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#151635 - 06/18/11 05:11 PM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A silnylon tarp (such as the Equinox tarps sold by Campmor) will be lighter (for the size) and more versatile. I can't see any reason for buying one of those ultra-heavy tent footprints. Strictly a sales gimmick to lighten your wallet, IMHO!

#151640 - 06/18/11 07:55 PM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I concur - too heavy! I use a piece of tyvek - which does dual duty as a sit pad and hitchiking device (it has "HIKER TO CAR" in huge letters in sharpie on it) - it works wink

Normally this thing gets used as a groundsheet when tarping, or a footprint under my tent if I'm using a solo tent on nasty terrain. I don't take it if I'm using the tent in not "rocky sharp" terrain.

Browse my pictures

#151645 - 06/19/11 02:43 AM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: lori]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By lori
I do however use 2mm - 10mm plastic for footprints.

I'm fairly sure you mean mil here. 10mm would be over a third of an inch thick. That is a mistake that can be easily made though. Mililiter is abbreviated mL, and often shortened verbally to mil (especially if you spend alot of time in a chemistry lab). Because of that its easy to see mil on a plastic sheeting materal and convert that mil to mm. Not trying to be smart or anything, just wanting to make sure no beginners see that and get confused by it. I like the stuff too, Its usually sold as painters drop cloth for anyone interested in picking some up.

#151648 - 06/19/11 03:30 AM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: james__12345]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
I also use a piece of tyvek, about 2X1.5m (or 6.5X5 ft, for uncivilized non metric users :/).
I have doubled the fabric where I installed six small grommets, and ultra thin dyneema lines, and use this as sit pad, lunch pause or beach "blanket", emergency poncho, small kitchen /pause tarp, and eventually footprint on nasty ground (rarely!)
It stays in an external pocket of my pack, just in case.
I don't know what kind of tyvek it is (got it from a kite shop), it's waterproof, very thin and soft...but I have no idea of the weight!

#151666 - 06/19/11 05:21 PM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: frenchie]

Polycro plastic--the kind sold for shrink-to-fit storm windows and doors--is more durable than plastic painters' drop cloths, and about the same weight. Gossamer Gear and Mountain Laurel Designs both sell polycro ground sheets, but because of shipping cost you can probably get polycro cheaper at your local big box hardware store, unless you're already ordering something from the above two firms.

I don't use a ground sheet under my tent, and haven't missed it, either. I would use one if I were going to camp on snow, though.

Frenchie, I've also heard that kite Tyvek is lighter and more waterproof than the house wrap kind.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/19/11 05:22 PM)

#151668 - 06/19/11 06:04 PM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: james__12345]
squark Offline

Loc: SF bay area, CA
Ok, now I am confused - mL is a unit of volume, so how does it translate to thickness?

Quote:
I'm fairly sure you mean mil here. 10mm would be over a third of an inch thick. That is a mistake that can be easily made though. Mililiter is abbreviated mL, and often shortened verbally to mil (especially if you spend alot of time in a chemistry lab). Because of that its easy to see mil on a plastic sheeting materal and convert that mil to mm. Not trying to be smart or anything, just wanting to make sure no beginners see that and get confused by it. I like the stuff too, Its usually sold as painters drop cloth for anyone interested in picking some up.

#151671 - 06/19/11 07:14 PM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: squark]

From The Free Online Dictionary:
Quote:
mil (ml)
A unit of length in the US Customary System equal to 1/1000 of an inch (0.03 millimeter), used chiefly to measure the diameter of wires.

This measurement, also used to measure thickness of plastic, has nothing to do with the metric system!

#151683 - 06/20/11 12:59 AM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: squark]
james__12345 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By squark
Ok, now I am confused - mL is a unit of volume, so how does it translate to thickness?

It doesn't translate to thickness at all. Its just that the mL thing causes "mil" to be associated with the metric prefix "mili". Than can then be wrongly applied to thickness when people see "mil" related to thickness, they see "mil" and they think "mili" and they know they're dealing with thickness so they go to milimeter. Might not have been less confusing this time, but if not, maybe someone else gets it and can put it differently.

OregonMouse, thanks for looking that up. I've often wondered about that, but never got around to looking it up. I knew it had to be a non metric unit, because the metric unit used on the packages is micrometers (that funny shaped u thing)m.

#151691 - 06/20/11 10:15 AM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: james__12345]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
That was one thing that confused the heck out of me when I got out of school and into the real world. Everyone at work would interchange the term "mil" and "thousandth". So, a "mil" used in thickness measurements of films is a thousandth of an inch, or .001 inches.

Crazy Americans..... laugh

Edited by finallyME (06/20/11 10:17 AM)

#151694 - 06/20/11 11:04 AM Re: Tent footprints - other uses [Re: OregonMouse]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
OM-

What a great knowledge nugget! Having never purchased shrink-to-fit window plastic, I had no idea this was the same stuff as the polycro sheets sold as lightweight ground cloths. Yes, buying window insulation plastic at end-of-season-clearance prices would be a large saving VS purchase and shipping from other sources.

Thanks!

CM

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum