Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150270 - 05/13/11 08:16 PM Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables
JAK Offline

I had no idea herbs were such excellent sources of vitamins and minerals, as well as tasting good. They also hold their own in calories per gram. I will start experimenting with lentils and herbs. Any ideas which might work best? Also, how many ounces of herbs per day might be reasonable. I'm thinking about 1 ounce per day, total, if you have enough rice or lentils to go with them. Maybe 2 ounces if a big eater, and you were careful to choose ones that are suitable to take in larger quantities.

Parsley
Sage
Rosemary
Thyme
Basil

Non-Herbs but same idea...
Onion Powder
Curry Powder
Tumeric
Paprika

others?
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/spices-and-herbs/199/2

Edited by JAK (05/13/11 08:29 PM)

#150275 - 05/13/11 09:15 PM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: JAK]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd taste-test, using a small amount at a time. A mouthful of, for example, rosemary or oregano is too much for most of us. Herbs are best used in very small amounts, for seasoning. They're also very pricey in quantity, unless you grow and dry your own.

Speaking of drying your own veggies, chopped frozen spinach dehydrates very easily in dehydrator or oven. Just crumble it up fine afterwards. Voila, plenty of vitamin A, calcium and folic acid to add to your one-dish meals!

#150277 - 05/13/11 09:21 PM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: OregonMouse]
JAK Offline

I was just checking out herb soup recipes.
I agree that 1 ounce a day might be pushing it.

Great idea with the dried spinach. Thanks.

#150286 - 05/14/11 01:01 AM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: OregonMouse]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Spinach flakes = iron smile

#150290 - 05/14/11 01:37 AM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: sarbar]

My grandkids call it "grinitch spinach" (from Dr. Seuss' The Sleep Book) and, amazingly, are quite fond of it! I forgot about the iron!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/14/11 01:38 AM)

#150301 - 05/14/11 12:13 PM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Take a ball of fresh garlic. It does not weigh much, keeps well. Better yet, learn to identify eadible plants in the wild and take a little salad dressing. My favorite is Columbine salad (sorry Coloradians- I do eat your state flower).

#150375 - 05/16/11 12:23 AM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Spinach really doesn't have any more iron than other veggies.. while it's fantastically nutritious - the iron content is a myth. (possibly due to an erroneous publication with a misplaced decimal place by a scientist in 1870).. Don't believe me, look it up.

Now having said that.. spinach flakes? hmm.. actually sounds good.. gotta try that.
Browse my pictures

#150388 - 05/16/11 10:56 AM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: phat]
wandering_daisy Offline

I consider f.d vegatables and herbs taste treats (for variety) not a nutritional supplement. For "nutrition" I take a multi-vitamin. It is my understanding that drying and preserving reduces the vitamins in vegetables. For trips of less than several weeks, sufficient calories and a food balance that does not mess with my digestion are my main goals. Herbs are spices to me- I really do not consider them "leafy green vegetables". If I really want greens, I forage for wild greens.

#150406 - 05/16/11 02:56 PM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: phat]

I thought it was Popeye who was responsible for promoting the iron in spinach!

W_D, I have read several analyses that the main nutrient destroyed by dehydration or freeze-drying is Vitamin C. Others may be diminished slightly but not nearly to that extent. Of course because we are taking calorie-concentrated food, our backpacking diets don't include enough fruit or veggies, so the supplement is a good idea. One serving of veggies per day does not a balanced diet make!

#150439 - 05/16/11 11:36 PM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: phat]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Yes and no on that one - it is a good source but it is used a bit differently than animal based iron. With plant based iron such as in Spinach and other green foods one must also consume Vitamin C.

Believe me, when you have chronic Anemia (I have had it since I was a couple months along with Walker and still have it with him nearly 14 months old) I eat whatever I can with iron in it. I drink OJ with my prescription iron and that is still not enough. I eat steak 1-2 times a month just for the animal based iron.

But honestly, I love spinach and the vitamins in it are GOOD for you.

Example:
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article7071479.ece

And PS: Every woman in child bearing years should be eating a good amount of folate naturally. Spinach is just awesome on that!

#150441 - 05/17/11 12:06 AM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: sarbar]

I've read (didn't bookmark the source, though) that folate (folic acid) is also important for us oldsters trying to avoid increased "senior moments." It supposedly helps the brain function.

I guess I should have mentioned that while you won't get scurvy on a week's backpack, it's a good idea to take a supplement containing Vitamin C for anything longer. The exception would be if you use an electrolyte drink mix that contains sufficient Vitamin C.

#150462 - 05/17/11 10:32 AM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Do not get me wrong! I love vegetables. But given that our backpack food is highly processed, the sure bet for daily vitamins is to take a supplement. My point is that I eat my 5+ servings of vegetables daily most of the year, and going without for a week or so has never compromised my health or energy levels. Electrolyte balance for me is much more important. Cytomax is near the top of my priority list - well above freeze dried vegetables. I prefer vitamins that are naturally a part of high calorie/low weight food, for example, whole grains and nuts. I also have had poor luck with fd fruit and vegetables- high priced and they inevitably end up crushed to dust. Bear cannister requirements certainly alter your backpack diet. Volume and crushability become key factors.

#150578 - 05/19/11 02:29 PM Re: Herbs = Dehydrated Leafy Green Vegetables [Re: JAK]
InnerMountain1 Offline

As an fyi a great place to buy herbs, lentils and other backpacking foods is Frontier Coop - www.frontiercoop.com . We buy lots of our food from them.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum