Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150269 - 05/13/11 08:05 PM pack weight
skysail Offline

Loc: chicago
Well my trip to the AT is a week away, my pack wieghs 27 pounds without water for 7 day hike. Is that about average? How much would your pack weigh?

#150271 - 05/13/11 08:33 PM Re: pack weight [Re: skysail]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I can't speak to the average around this forum, where ,ost folks are past masters at pack weight reduction, but I can tell you that 27 lbs. for 7 days, omitting only water weight is FAR better than the average of all backpackers, and a pretty respectable showing altogether.

I've been backpacking close to 40 years now and my current 7 day pack weight without water would be very similar, or a couple of lbs. over yours, depending somewhat on time of year and where I was hiking. Of course, that does include everything I would carry, without any fudging, like putting my camera in my pants pocket and calling it "zero pack weight". grin

#150272 - 05/13/11 08:37 PM Re: pack weight [Re: skysail]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
This stuff varies so much. By early April last year (i.e., once out of snow) my pack on the AT was down to perhaps a 15 pound base weight, but I never ever carried 7 days worth of food on the AT --- lots and lots of places to resupply along the way, and with pack weight not too bad I was able to do 20 miles per day starting in Virginia.
Folks doing shorter trips, however (me included) tend to do lower daily mileage, which means more days of food. But they likely less carry less food per day; I needed a good 2 pounds of food per day, but rarely much more than a liter of water. So leaving a trail town I guess I was carrying on the order of 25 pounds tops, and would be down to something like 17 pounds getting in to the next one.

I have no idea what "average" might be, but I think that what I carried might have perhaps been a bit less than average for thru-hikers (?). Which is probably somewhat less in turn than average for folks doing shorter distances.

With your trip a week away, I wouldn't worry about it, but perhaps keep notes on the trail of ideas you come up with to trim things back a bit for next trip.

#150279 - 05/13/11 09:32 PM Re: pack weight [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with Brian--you're fine for now, so wait for post-trip analysis. After the trip, check out the articles on the home page of this site, left-hand column. Keep note of the stuff you don't use with an eye to leaving it home next time (although that obviously wouldn't include your rain gear if it doesn't rain). Keep an eye on what others are carrying, especially thru-hikers (most of them go light, for obvious reasons)--you might find lighter substitutes for things you do use. Have a great time! I'm looking forward to your trip report!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/13/11 09:34 PM)

#150283 - 05/14/11 12:12 AM Re: pack weight [Re: skysail]
MTvagabond Offline

Loc: Western Montana
I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I'm thinking that a 27 lb pack doesn't really MEAN that much without knowing what's in it. As long as you feel like you're prepared, that's great. But I don't think just stating your pack weight is very informative. Maybe there are still items that you could leave behind, or maybe there are some things you should think about taking. I'm not sure I would give you a thumbs up based on weight alone. But if you're happy with it, I do think that your weight for a seven day trip is pretty good.

#150285 - 05/14/11 12:55 AM Re: pack weight [Re: MTvagabond]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Good idea--give us a gear list, with weights for each item, after your trip, and we'll tear it apart for you! In the meantime, take a look at the 7 day gear list on the home page to make sure you haven't forgotten something important. It's really close to the same weight as yours--the only difference is the 2 lbs. of water in the home page list. You don't need the same items that are on the list, just items that perform the same functions.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/14/11 12:57 AM)

#150618 - 05/20/11 07:58 PM Re: pack weight [Re: skysail]
Wolfeye Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sounds about right. My pack usually weighs that much, including 2L of water. If I'm really strict about every item that goes in there and am able to share a few things with a partner, I can get it down to 25 lb.

My impression is that 27 lbs for 7 days is about average for weight-minded hikers, and a LOT lighter than an average, normal hikers. (My pack used to weigh 40 lb for 3 days...)

#150859 - 05/27/11 08:13 PM Re: pack weight [Re: Wolfeye]
skysail Offline

Loc: chicago
Ok, well im back after about 5 days and im hooked!
There are several things i would change.
This is a list of what im not bringing/changing next time.

Food, i brought way to much. i thought i would be eating a lot but i never really had an appetite. it took up most of my space in my pack too. this is where proper planning comes in. i gave a lot of it away.

Clothes, i wore the same thing everyday. Even when i got completely soaked in rain. i just kept walking until i dried. probably not gonna wear underwear next time either. in the cold rain i wish i had proper rain gear. up at 5000 feet the temp dropped to about 45. next time im bringing a big poncho. the only extra clothes id bring are one pair of town clothes. long sleeve shirt. this would drop several pounds. i will always carry underarmor/ long underwear just in case it gets too cold. you never know

Water, i didnt have enough. i hiked mt rogers in VA and i was always thirsty going up. i would add a camelback next time. since my pack is compatabe with it.

Tent, my tent was good but i wish i had something bigger. it never got wet inside and held up awesome in high wind. Im tall so i couldnt sit up in it. it was heavy too at a little over 3 pounds. i think im gonna look into a hammock and a big tarp for next time. i have a big agnes air core. really thick at 2 and a hald inches. the only reason i was uncomfortable was because i was very sore the first few days.

i used the hiker pro for water filter and it was awesome. my stove a snow peak giga? or something like that and i love it. i could probably make my first aid kit a little smaller by bringing less bandaides. i didnt need bug spray or sunblock. my knife could be smaller but its already small (basic swiss army)

sleeping bag, is a kelty lighyear down. i think its rated to 40 degrees. i really like it so far.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum