Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146914 - 02/24/11 02:54 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: ]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I add it to my Co-Co wheats (regional chocolate hot breakfast cereal) so all I do is add hot water. Works for cereal or any "cook" items that call for milk.

One note, it does seem to work better being added to warm or hot water and then cooled. I know people who make it up the night before and then put the (sealed!) container in a creek to cool it for the next morning breakfast.

#146927 - 02/24/11 08:25 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: ]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I almost always bring it along. Like Heather says, its good with hot or cold cereal in the morning. But its also good for if you get creative; as an example, my wife Patty was feeling cold so I made a trout stew using it along with salt, pepper, dill, and wild onions.

sk

#146930 - 02/24/11 08:43 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: ]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I mix powdered milk with my granola and put each day's portion in a plastic bag before leaving home. I put in more than would be called for to create a cup of milk for the granola. It seems to work well no matter how much you put in.

I also mix in freeze dried coffee with the milk/granola mix so I have my coffee and granola all in one. In cold weather I add hot water but usually just add cold water to the mix.

#146937 - 02/24/11 09:11 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: DJ2]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I add about two tablespoons to my instant oatmeal, along with a few dried blueberries or dried bannans. It makes the oatmeal rich. I also prepackage portions of instant vanilla pudding or chocolate with correct portion powdered milk. I add to a clean lightweight peanut butter jar and shake. pudding for desert. To vanilla I then add a few vanilla wafers, and to Chocolate I add Granola. Awsome desert I think?

#146940 - 02/24/11 10:42 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: ]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Cocoa mixes, latte mixes, mocha mixes, instant soups, to flavor instant mashed potatoes, smoothies, pretty much 90% of the trail food can be made better with dry milk added.

#146963 - 02/25/11 02:28 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: sarbar]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Good with cereals/oatmeal, also with mashed potatoes ("instant" version), with cheese and dried onions.
Possible for dessert if you have instant dehydrated rice, with sugar/vanilla or cinnamon powder.
Into some soups too.Potato/leek, pumpkin, sweet chestnut, etc...

#146965 - 02/25/11 02:37 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: ]
lori Offline

I get Nido, which is the full milk version, and find it works well in all mentioned applications. Making my own powdered drink mixes or using a couple tablespoons in granola and hot water to make hot cereal are my fave applications. Also add some to pasta mixes that require milke and butter - butter powder can be either the real thing from packit gourmet's grocery section, or that butter buds stuff you find at the grocery store.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#146983 - 02/25/11 07:21 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: sarbar]
skcreidc Offline

Sarbar, have you made trail tapioca? Reading this thread made me think of tapioca (made with milk) and I think I found a recipe that will work. Still need two eggs, so maybe its best for the first or second nite in.

sk

#146985 - 02/25/11 07:57 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: skcreidc]
PDA Offline

You could use dehydrated egg powder, 16 oz equiv 48 eggs ca. $16.

#146988 - 02/25/11 08:21 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: skcreidc]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By skcreidc
Sarbar, have you made trail tapioca? Reading this thread made me think of tapioca (made with milk) and I think I found a recipe that will work. Still need two eggs, so maybe its best for the first or second nite in.

sk

I have...and you can do it egg free btw. I have a couple successful recipes for it tucked away for manuscript 3 smile Let me see about getting one of them up on the website, I don't mind sharing!

#147029 - 02/26/11 11:04 AM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: sarbar]
skcreidc Offline

I'll throw the one I like up too; after testing of course!

sk

#149546 - 04/24/11 02:40 AM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: skcreidc]
Wasatch Offline

Loc: California
Conventional bisquet recipies cook well in any sort of trail oven. Eggs and milk hard to keep fresh, I substitute powdered. As cooking ingredients they taste like real thing.

I use vanilla flavored egg whites. MRM and MSM both make them (sold on Amazon, cheap). The trail bisquets are same I eat at breakfast in the city most every day. I don't change diet on trail. Except, no sugar or honey outdoors to keep the cartoon picnic ants and Yogi away. smile.

#149584 - 04/25/11 03:32 AM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: ]
dragonictigeron Offline

Loc: Illinois
I'm a newbie to backpacking but I've used powdered milk in recipes at home for hot coco, creamy instant soups ect...

In The Complete Walker IV by Colin Fletcher he states using powdered milk for a lot of the same things others have stated. He also says to use a squeeze bottle ( like ketchup and mustard are kept in at hot dig stands or picnics) to store the powdered milk in, suppose to be easier to store and dose.

#149760 - 04/29/11 05:47 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: ]
bearbait Offline

Loc: Cape May Co.South Jersey
I add a tablespoon full to my granola, placed in a zip lock bag. I add water to the bag, seal, shake, reopen and eat out of the baggie.
I also make my own chai latte mix. I fill a small mason jar a little more then half way with powdered milk, add 4 to 5 teaspoons of sugar. Then I take my bulk chai tea and grind it to a very fine powder in coffee grinder, Add one heaping table spoon (more or less to taste) to the powdered milk and sugar mix, shake till mixed. Place 2 to 3 table spoons of mix in mug of hot water.
Love having this on the trail.

#149852 - 05/02/11 07:29 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: bearbait]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By bearbait
... Then I take my bulk chai tea and grind it to a very fine powder in coffee grinder, ....

This sounds really interesting. So, are you grinding up whole tea leaves and spices? Does it leave a lot of gunk in the cup? The ground spices would be fine, but it sounds like you are making instant tea by just grinding up tea leaves. I never realized that would work.

Edited by BZH (05/04/11 01:17 PM)

#149917 - 05/04/11 12:38 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: bearbait]
Raiffnuke Offline

Loc: North Adams, MA
Originally Posted By bearbait
I add a tablespoon full to my granola, placed in a zip lock bag. I add water to the bag, seal, shake, reopen and eat out of the baggie.
I also make my own chai latte mix. I fill a small mason jar a little more then half way with powdered milk, add 4 to 5 teaspoons of sugar. Then I take my bulk chai tea and grind it to a very fine powder in coffee grinder, Add one heaping table spoon (more or less to taste) to the powdered milk and sugar mix, shake till mixed. Place 2 to 3 table spoons of mix in mug of hot water.
Love having this on the trail.

That sounds delicious! I will have to try that. Where do you get the bulk Chai?

#149948 - 05/05/11 06:00 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk?--No Bake Cookies [Re: Raiffnuke]
goatpacker Offline

Loc: Eastern Washington
I found this on the BPL site--(I believe Laurie Ann?):

Mix together (equal parts) Peanut butter, powdered milk and honey.

Tablespoon size portions can be rolled/covered with any desired topping such as oats, coconut, etc.

These taste pretty good and have a high calorie to weight ratio.

#150267 - 05/13/11 07:57 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: ]
JAK Offline

When I hike I drink alot of tea, chai style. Trick is not to scald the skim milk powder, which makes it lumpy. I use black tea and add my own spices, which are also spices which go well with oatmeal. Sometimes I make my oatmeal and chai at the same time, so I get chai flavoured oatmeal and oatmeal flavoured chai. I drink chai as I go.

Spices for chai, and oatmeal:
Cardamom, Cloves, Ginger, Anise, Black Pepper, Cinnamon
also Nutmeg

The extra containers add weight, but it is nice to be able to make it a little differently each time.

#150276 - 05/13/11 09:19 PM Re: ideas for powdered milk? [Re: JAK]
JAK Offline

Another idea might be some kind of cream of herbs soup.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum