Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150035 - 05/08/11 10:12 AM cell phone reception
Mudflap Offline

I'm going to hike the JMT this summer and am wondering if there is cell phone reception there. I've never been, so I don't know. If there is reception I would like to bring my phone but if there's none I won't bother bringing it. Does anyone know?

#150038 - 05/08/11 11:06 AM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Mudflap]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Frankly, I would hope there is none. if you do have it, it will almost certainly be spotty.

#150040 - 05/08/11 11:53 AM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Mudflap]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
There might be spots where reception sneaks in, but but they'll be few and far between. I've only hiked bits of the JMT (Yosemite, JM Wilderness, SEKI) and my experience there and in the remote Sierra is there's no reception 99% of the time. Occasionally it will occur on peaks and exposed passes.

Primarily, a phone there is dead weight.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Mudflap
I'm going to hike the JMT this summer and am wondering if there is cell phone reception there. I've never been, so I don't know. If there is reception I would like to bring my phone but if there's none I won't bother bringing it. Does anyone know?

#150044 - 05/08/11 01:43 PM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Mudflap]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
What the others have said is true. PCT thru-hikers have collected info on cell reception from various providers along the trail (the JMT and PCT coincide for most of the JMT). Reception is practically non-existent for most of the PCT above SoCal, consisting mostly of paved-road-crossings and a few ridgetops.

#150045 - 05/08/11 02:10 PM Re: cell phone reception [Re: aimless]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I was able to get cell phone contact along the JMT only at Lower Cathedral Lake, Red's Meadow, Tuolumne Meadows, Forester Pass and Trail Crest Pass. The service at the above locations was weak and discontinuous, at best. I was able to let my wife know that I was still alive though. If that is all that matters, then a phone is not that heavy. If you need reliable communication, a cell phone is dead weight.

I have given some thought to getting a Spot 2 PLB although I have heard bad things about their customer service, subscription policies and reliability. My wife wants me to have something so I am giving serious thought to getting a McMurdo FastFind 210. It weighs about the same as a cell phone and will send an emergency message and homing signal. It is a one use instrument but has the life-saving features that a cell phone most likely does not have.

#150049 - 05/08/11 03:36 PM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Mudflap]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I have seen people using cell phones on Mt. Whitney.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#150050 - 05/08/11 03:40 PM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Pika]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Another option that should be on the market soon is the ACR ResQLink. See http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=284 for a sneak preview.

I, too, have reservations about Spot. Not all that wickedly reliable..

#150069 - 05/08/11 08:49 PM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Mudflap]
Mudflap Offline

Thank for all the info guys. When I hike, I too always hope there is no reception but when I know I am going somewhere where there will be reception I take the phone with me. Being an 18 year old girl traveling alone I like to have it, out of fear of the other 2 legged beasts out there. Mostly I hike in the whites and in places in maine so I wasn't sure what expect out in the Sierra. I think though, that I will ditch the phone for this trip. thanks again for the advice!! Safe Treks!

#150075 - 05/08/11 09:29 PM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Mudflap]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Mudflap
Thank for all the info guys. When I hike, I too always hope there is no reception but when I know I am going somewhere where there will be reception I take the phone with me. Being an 18 year old girl traveling alone I like to have it, out of fear of the other 2 legged beasts out there. Mostly I hike in the whites and in places in maine so I wasn't sure what expect out in the Sierra. I think though, that I will ditch the phone for this trip. thanks again for the advice!! Safe Treks!

As a woman who hikes in the Sierra... don't worry about the two legged beasts. The ones in the frontcountry are the ones to worry about! There will be lots of folks on the JMT and they will be the Good Kind.(tm) One or two might be a little weird, but I have yet to meet a truly dangerous person on a trail.

Off trail, low elevation national forest... well, that's different.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#150081 - 05/09/11 12:11 AM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Mudflap]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Mudflap
The reception depends on your phone and how you hold it. I've stood on mountain tops in the sierras and got nothing, but my buddy who also had sprint pulls out his phone and hands it to me and I called my wife. Some places (in the sierras) I have to walk up to an edge to get a signal where my friend with the blackberry did not have to walk to the edge.
Jim

#155674 - 10/11/11 02:10 PM Re: cell phone reception [Re: Mudflap]
ppine Offline

Loc: Minden, Nevada
Mudflap,

Cell phones are the least reliable when you need them most. From peaks and the highest ranges they seem to work most of the time. If you really need communication you need a satellite phone.

#155747 - 10/12/11 09:44 PM Re: cell phone reception [Re: ppine]
lori Offline

You're resurrecting some pretty old threads here...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#155753 - 10/13/11 03:18 AM Re: cell phone reception [Re: lori]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I agree with Ppine, if you are serious about having a phone, rent a Sat Phone, all up it may cost you $100 for two weeks, including a few minutes, which are really costly, but if you want service, that is the only way to go. Google SatPhone rental and a bunch of companies pop up.

Edited by TomD (10/13/11 03:19 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum