Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149643 - 04/27/11 12:05 PM Dogs and cacti
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I live in a semi-desert area and so we have a lot of cactus. Consequently my dog is frequently getting catus spines in his feet when we hike. I simply pull them out of course. He is only a couple of years old and so I wonder if he will learn to avoid them? After all, just how do the coyotes manage? Is it something to be concerned about such as a possible infection? I sure don’t want to put boots on Rebel but maybe I should?

Howie

#149646 - 04/27/11 01:30 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: Howie]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Coyotes learn through experience and example from their elders. I get my dogs out in it ASAP in their youth. I am careful about how much and where because if they get covered, it could end up killing them. I have had a couple friends who have lost dogs that way and it is slow. It messes with their immune system. They HAVE to learn to not be crazy in field just because they are chasing a rabbit. My previous dogs and my gsp know to sit and wait for me to come over to pull the ball of spines (or just spines) out using a comb and tweezers. If a trail is covered with small spines, best to avoid it or the offending spot.

We were going out after quail in Arizona near Lake Roosevelt. Tica is 10 months old and it is the first time for her with shotguns so we are trying to take it easy on her. Within 2 min of getting out of the Jeep, she has a big Teddy bear cholla ball stuck to her front leg. She hasn't quite figured out to just wait yet so I run over and pop it off with the comb. She gives this thing a "look" then attacks it! I'm pulling spines out of her mouth for the next 30 min. Good news is that she has NEVER done that again. She is fine now and avoids the visible stuff even if it is dense.

You have a lot of cacti in Canada?

Edited by skcreidc (04/27/11 01:31 PM)

#149647 - 04/27/11 01:59 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: skcreidc]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I live on eight acres in the rural SE Arizona desert. We have prickly pear, four different cholla and saguaro on our place. The worst of all are the "teddy bear" and "jumping" cholla.

I have had four dogs since we moved here and I'll pretty much endorse what skcreidk said; dogs eventually learn to avoid the stuff. This appears to be more than can be said for some humans.

Dog breed does enter into the equation a bit. Our Malamutes both learned quickly to avoid the stuff. Our golden retriever took a bit longer to learn but she was young. Our West Highland terrier never seemed to really figure it out.

I always have a comb with me when I'm out with the dog (our golden is the only one now). She will generally stop and wait for me when she picks up a thorn cluster. She is less likely to try to bite one out of her paw now but still tries it on occasion. I have spent an hour trying to get the 1" long, barbed cholla spines out of her tongue, gums and the roof of her mouth. The spines soften after they have been in place for a while. Sometimes it's best to just wait for them to get a bit infected and they will slide out easily.

This is a problem that must be managed, you won't be able to solve it.

#149648 - 04/27/11 02:16 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: Pika]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My parents had a cocker spaniel when I was young. He never did learn! He's the only dog I ever heard of that had to have porcupine quills removed multiple times. He also never learned to stay away from horses' hooves. He'd get kicked, lie stunned in the ditch for a minute or two, then get up and run right back under the horses' hooves.

Fortunately, Hysson seems to have better sense. His one bout with a porcupine was with a dead one on the beach, so the quills didn't penetrate deeply and were easy to remove. He wasn't at all happy about the situation, though, so I hope he remembers the lesson if he meets a live one!

#149654 - 04/27/11 03:57 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: skcreidc]
Howie Offline

[You have a lot of cacti in Canada? [/quote]

We have lots of cacti in BC but also even places in the prairie provinces such as Alberta and Saskatchewan. Here in Kamloops it is hot and dry during the summer. Rattlesnake country.

Howie

#149659 - 04/27/11 05:01 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: Howie]
skcreidc Offline

So what kind Howie? Is it like cholla, or more like prickly pear?

PS, if your dog is so inclined, there is rattlesnake avoidance training. Its better than hooking an old hose up to a car battery.

Edited by skcreidc (04/27/11 05:03 PM)

#149661 - 04/27/11 05:43 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: skcreidc]
Howie Offline

http://we-love-kamloops.blogspot.com/2010/10/xeriscape-desert-cactus-gardening.html

Apparently prickly pear.

As for rattlesnakes I have never seen one during the 33 years I have lived here, but they are supposed to be out there smile

There are actually three varieties of snake in this area.

Howie

#149662 - 04/27/11 06:27 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: Howie]
skcreidc Offline

Well, that explains the Prickly Pear Jelly from Canada I was getting. I particularly like the ones with cherry and blood orange mixed in. Can't get it now frown.

#149663 - 04/27/11 07:29 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: skcreidc]
Howie Offline

BC is the California of Canada. We even have some hippies. What is left of them anyway smile

I had never heard of that jelly though. Live and learn.

Howie

#149684 - 04/28/11 12:05 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: Howie]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I thought everyone in Canada was a hippie......Just Kidding.. smile

I don't know what kind of cactus I see the most here. It is very small and ball shaped. Anyways, the first two dogs I had ran into it the first time I took them on a walk in the desert. I used pliers to pull it out. I think they did it twice, but then never again. They figured it out. My malamute ran into it once or twice. Again, she learned fast. They all just limp back to me so that I can pull it out. We also have sticker weeds that get stuck in their pads. They do the same thing, limp back so I can pull it out.

Edited by finallyME (04/28/11 12:05 PM)

#149687 - 04/28/11 12:48 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: finallyME]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
Dusting off my soapbox, I remind everyone that keeping your beloved trail buddies on leashes/leads are good for the dogs, the wildlife and other hikers.

And, it appears here, good for the plants as well. grin

FB

#149724 - 04/28/11 10:24 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: Howie]
Howie Offline

Thanks for your input folks. I picked up a pair of mini Leatherman plyers at Walmart today (knock offs). They should come in handy for pulling the thorns out.

Howie

#150656 - 05/22/11 11:38 PM Re: Dogs and cacti [Re: Howie]
Howie Offline

Today I was able to answer my own question. I threw the ball for Rebel and he stopped short. He would not go in and get it. I wondered why and then I realized that there was a clump of cactus there. Smart dog. He learned really fast.

Howie

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum