Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148599 - 03/29/11 09:36 PM Looking for a good two person tent around $150.
DamonMBarnes Offline

I've been researching and I am looking to purchase my first backpacking tent. I will need a two person tent and would like to get fairly light within my price range. I am looking at a Kelty Salida 2 right now but am open to all suggestions about other tents and/or comments on my favorite right now.

I will only need a three season tent and will primarily be hiking in Kentucky, southern Indiana, and Tennessee.

#148603 - 03/29/11 11:15 PM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: DamonMBarnes]
orclwzrd Offline

Loc: Illinois(I just live here)
alps mountaineering has a decent two man that's not terribly heavy. It could never be called ultralight but I found it a decent starting place.

John

#148608 - 03/30/11 04:30 AM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: DamonMBarnes]
Wilderness70 Offline

I currently use the Kelty Gunnison 2.0 as my primary solo and double tent, although at 4 lbs 14 oz it's heavier than most people on the board would like. As a tent I love it. The only differences I see between that and the one you're looking at are more polyester in lieu of mesh walls, 7 square feet more floor space, and two doors.

Two people will fit in the Gunnison as long as they are very comfortable with each other, and I think that applies to most 2 person tents.

#148621 - 03/30/11 11:50 AM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: DamonMBarnes]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I don't have any direct knowledge... but this seems like a pretty good tent that meets your specs:

http://www.rei.com/product/814618

If you stretch a little bit farther... this is a great tent:

http://www.rei.com/product/767268

(of course if you stretch a little bit farther you could get a tarptent)

Edited by BZH (03/30/11 11:52 AM)

#148651 - 03/31/11 08:11 AM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: DamonMBarnes]
sjohnny Offline

Loc: Central Texas
I recently got a Mountainsmith Morrison tent. I haven't had the chance to actually take it out yet but I set it up in my backyard for a little while and checked it out and let the kids play in it. It looks to be a pretty good tent and I paid less than $130 shipped from e-bags.com (the link over on the left side of this page).

Here's where I posted when I got it

Edited by sjohnny (03/31/11 08:12 AM)

#148656 - 03/31/11 11:13 AM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: sjohnny]
DamonMBarnes Offline

Originally Posted By sjohnny
I recently got a Mountainsmith Morrison tent. I haven't had the chance to actually take it out yet but I set it up in my backyard for a little while and checked it out and let the kids play in it. It looks to be a pretty good tent and I paid less than $130 shipped from e-bags.com (the link over on the left side of this page).

Here's where I posted when I got it
Thank you for the information. The two main contenders right now for me are a Kelty Salida 2 or a REI Quarter Dome UL (obviously a little out of my stated $$$ range). I probably can't get a tent until next Friday when I'm paid so I still have time to think. Is there any certain reasons you'd prefer your MS over either one of those?

#148657 - 03/31/11 11:23 AM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: DamonMBarnes]
sjohnny Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Length basically. The MS doesn't seem to weigh a whole lot more than either of those tents and it has two doors where the Kelty only has one. I'm 6'4" so I had put a minimum length of 90" on any tent I would consider. If I were shorter there were loads more options. I was strongly considering the REI Quarter Dome T2 Plus and was going to wait until I could save up the $300 but then I found the MS and decided that was the tent for me. I can comfortably fit me, my two kids, and our gear in this tent. I think I can also fit my dog. Anything substantially lighter that still met my criteria was a whole lot more expensive. I really liked the specs on the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 but $450 was too steep.

#148658 - 03/31/11 12:00 PM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: sjohnny]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
REI outlet has the REI Quarter Dome UL for $189.93, the Alps Mountaineering Mystique for 129.93, the Alps M. Chaos 2 for 159.93 and the Asolo Velocity for 149.93. Also check out Sierra Trading Post.

#148672 - 03/31/11 02:29 PM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: thecook]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I did a quick sort on the Campmor website under the two person backpacking tents:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/ProductComparisonView?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&categoryId=200368487&breadCrumbs=%7c%7c

You've got a lot of options. The link (which may take a minute to load) is only the beginning. Recommend playing around with this a bit.

Depending on your cost/weight parameters you can do very well for under $150, and then save to upgrade later if you desire.

Please seam seal any Eureka product you buy, or you'll be sorry.

#148809 - 04/03/11 02:11 PM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: DamonMBarnes]
watertones Offline

Loc: MN
My favorite 2 man right now is my Eureka Apex 2XT. It's a bit heavier than some, but you get a ton of room with the double vestibules for gear/shoes, which is much appreciated when there is 2 people and a dog. The ventilation of the tent is awesome. I live in MN, but even in the summer I don't get as hot in this tent as I do with my rei half dome. I have a model from a few years ago. The 2011 model is pretty much the same accept the color and for some reason it's a pound heavier this year. Look at amazon or sunnysports for the older model and you'll save weight (especially if you trade out the stakes).

#149444 - 04/20/11 08:13 PM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: DamonMBarnes]
k smith Offline

Loc: ca

just noticed amazon.com has the ms morrison for $119 shipped if anyone wants a good deal on one they look great and i for one have had great luck with ms gear im sure it won t dissapoint

k smith

#149590 - 04/25/11 12:18 PM Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. [Re: DamonMBarnes]
Mudflap Offline

U may want to look into Tarp Tents. Not sure what they have in your price range. I have a Squall 2 and I love it. It was $230 but they have many other two person tents u can check out. It's definently light weight and very quick and simple to set up. Does well in any condition/season.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum