Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149520 - 04/23/11 11:29 AM keeping the down dry
Jake28 Offline

Loc: MN
hello everyone,

I recently bought the REI halo +25 bag, but i have one concern...

when i solo, i sleep in a Nemo Gogo, which commonly gets condensation on the inside. this was never a huge problem with my synthetic. i would wake up in the morning and the top of my bag would be damp but it never soaked through and it dried quickly.

from what ive heard, getting your down bag wet is the last thing you want to do... is this a something to really worry about (the amount of water i was mentioning)?

if so, is there tricks that any of you use to prevent this? ie bag cover

Thanks

#149523 - 04/23/11 12:37 PM Re: keeping the down dry [Re: Jake28]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I don't know about the REI Halo, but most down sleeping bags (at least the higher end models) have a really good DWR (durable water repellent) finish. You can test this at home with a spray bottle. Spray a section of the outer shell of your sleeping bag with a fine spray. Watch it for about half an hour and see if it soaks in--it shouldn't! If it does soak in, spray the outer shell with a good DWR (Durable Water Repellent) treatment (see next paragraph) and dry the bag in the dryer (low heat).

When it's time to clean your bag, carefully follow the directions on the Western Mountaineering website. The instructions include how to renew the DWR finish.

Try to get more ventilation into your tent--don't close it up! Here's a good article on managing condensation in a single wall tent.

In addition, be sure the sleeping bag and all insulating clothing stay dry in your pack. Inevitably at some point you will encounter a heavy all-day rain and/or slip and fall during a stream ford. Pack covers will not keep your pack dry under either circumstance. A poncho or Packa won't keep your pack dry either when it's off your back or in case of immersion. Stuff sacks are not waterproof--dump one into the bathtub and see what happens! Either use a waterproof dry bag or a waterproof pack liner (be sure the closure is waterproof). Many use just the pack liner (check it daily for holes) and no stuff sack. I personally prefer to use a dry bag for my sleeping bag and another for my insulating clothing, and ditch the pack liner. Either method will work.

In addition, don't unpack your pack during a rain until you have the tent up, so you have a dry place to unload it. This means keeping the tent at the top of your pack or in a side pocket so you can get at it without exposing the interior of your pack to the rain. Do the reverse when packing up, and have a way to keep your wet tent separated from the dry stuff inside your pack.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/23/11 12:38 PM)

#149525 - 04/23/11 02:09 PM Re: keeping the down dry [Re: Jake28]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Like OM mentioned, it does sound like you need to work on getting the ventilation working on your tent. Even then a little moisture on the bag surface is no big deal; you just need to get it dried out every day if possible. Sometimes you have to take a lunch break in the sun and pull the thing out for 30 min or so.

All of my down bags are somewhere between 15 and 40 years old. The main thing you want to avoid on trial is to have the down completely soaked. When it is like this it has very little R-value (no loft) as it stays in wet clumps and is VERY difficult to get dry. I had an experience where the bottom third of my bag was soaked. It was a difficult trip and there were a couple of days where we were hiking up to our hips in quickly flowing water. Best to avoid the kind of situation where your sleeping bag gets really wet and when the opportunity presents itself put the bag out in the sun.

#149615 - 04/26/11 09:30 AM Re: keeping the down dry [Re: Jake28]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By Jake28
if so, is there tricks that any of you use to prevent this? ie bag cover
Because of low foot clearance in my MYOG tarptent, I routinely pull my DriDucks jacket over the foot of my bag.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum