Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149425 - 04/20/11 11:20 AM Suunto A10 Compass Opinions..............
stevo1598 Offline

Hey Guys I'm looking to buy a Suunto A10 compass for my day hikes and just wanted to hear your opinions on it. thanks.

#149443 - 04/20/11 07:53 PM Re: Suunto A10 Compass Opinions.............. [Re: stevo1598]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I haven't used this specific model, but I have used both Suuntos and Silvas for years. The red end of the needle finds North on all of them pretty well (although you do have to watch out for local causes of variation - true of any compass). I personally prefer models that incorporate a mirror. This model is lighter, however, and perfectly adequate.

#149451 - 04/20/11 11:00 PM Re: Suunto A10 Compass Opinions.............. [Re: stevo1598]
lori Offline

The one feature this does not have that makes a world of difference is the declination adjustment.

Get a compass that will allow you to adjust for magnetic variances and it's one less thing you need to think about while using a map.

If you don't intend to navigate with map and compass, just find north, that's not so much a big deal. But knowing how to navigate is always a good idea...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#149457 - 04/21/11 03:02 AM Re: Suunto A10 Compass Opinions.............. [Re: lori]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Until I had to buy one as an instructor in a local navigation course recently, I had never had or used a compass that had a "turn the screw" type of declination adjustment. I just adjusted for declination using the rotating bezel, which the Suunto A10 does have. It all boils down to how you want to mentally process this stuff. The ones with a declination screw tend to be heavier and cost more, which for a person just hiking on established trails strikes me as overkill.

For folks who for whatever reason need to establish a precise azimuth, perhaps to triangulate, it's a handy feature. More useful IMO for those that anticipate navigating off-trail.

For me personally, the (declination adjustable) electronic compass feature on my watch is what gets used, as it's always easily available. Perhaps not a comfortable truth for everyone, but the practical truth is that I pull out a "real" compass only if (a) just knowing where north is generally isn't enough in conjunction with "staying found" as I go along (rare), and (b) my GPS isn't along or I don't have relevant maps on it or a UTM grid on a printed map. Since my cell phone has a real GPS chipset, that means it's really quite rare today for me to dig into the pack to get my compass (one similar to the Suunto A10).

All that said, I do agree that it's important to know how to use a map and compass --- which is why what I actually do (vs. what a typical navigation class teaches) is sort of an "uncomfortable truth", I guess! All things being equal, I wish the particular class I helped with spent a bit less time on establishing and following precise bearings and more on navigation by terrain orientation and just "staying found".

#149458 - 04/21/11 05:25 AM Re: Suunto A10 Compass Opinions.............. [Re: BrianLe]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Darn! You've just revealed our dirty little secret - with decent topo maps and terrain with some topographic relief, one just doesn't use a compass very much - you need to know which ridge or canyon you are in, but you will follow that ridge or canyon rather than navigate a course of 320 degrees true north within it.

Now on the water - ocean or large lake, it is a different story....

#149463 - 04/21/11 12:25 PM Re: Suunto A10 Compass Opinions.............. [Re: lori]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Are you sure about the declination adjustment? Look near the center and on one side it says east decl and on the other west decl. I know my cheep compass doesn't have that.

I see what they are doing. No adjustment; it is just more of a reminder of what you need to do to find true north. NEVERMIND

Edited by skcreidc (04/21/11 12:27 PM)
Edit Reason: DuH

#150087 - 05/09/11 02:41 AM Re: Suunto A10 Compass Opinions.............. [Re: stevo1598]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Looks like a good basic baseplate compass.
http://www.rei.com/product/727086/suunto-a-10-compass

This one has a declination scale inside the bezel rather than either no scale or an adustable bezel. Expect to pay around twice as much or more for that feature -like this one-http://www.rei.com/product/408011/suunto-m-2d-locator-compass

Personally, I prefer black or blue markings, but unlike cars, no choice in colors usually. I have a Silva 7, which is similar, but without the declination scale and probably cheaper (had mine for years). I also have a Silva 27 (small mirror compass) and a Suunto MC-2G (which does have the red markings).
http://www.rei.com/product/652898/suunto-mc-2g-navigator-compass
Got mine on eBay a while back so did not pay retail. The price on these has gone way up from what I remember from a few years ago. Compasses don't really wear out unless you magnetize them or break them.

If you need to learn how to use it, The Land Navigation Book published by the Sierra Club is a good instructional book or there are several websites with lessons. Get a topo map of a local park, then go out and try out your skills. Like most things, it's useless or worse if you don't know what you are doing with it.

Edited by TomD (05/09/11 02:52 AM)

#150613 - 05/20/11 04:41 PM Re: Suunto A10 Compass Opinions.............. [Re: lori]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By lori
The one feature this does not have that makes a world of difference is the declination adjustment.

Get a compass that will allow you to adjust for magnetic variances and it's one less thing you need to think about while using a map.

If you don't intend to navigate with map and compass, just find north, that's not so much a big deal. But knowing how to navigate is always a good idea...

Lori, you taught me something new. I was taught how to use a map and compass in scouts, and then more thoroughly in the military. The cheap compasses that I used in scouts, and even the expensive military compass don't have a declination adjustment. I was always taught to do the math for each time. Recently I bought a $50 Brunton. I didn't realize what that little screw was for until now.
So, the two things I learned:
What a declination adjustment is, and what that little metal
thing on the lanyard is for.
Thanks

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum