Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148860 - 04/04/11 09:38 AM Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies!
herrje Offline

Hello everyone!

I'm currently in the mid-planning stages of an expedition going out this summer to an arid region in the Horn of Africa and have been trying to research shelter options.

Few factors:

- Temp will reach around 45 celsius during the day time

- But it will be towards the middle of the rainy season, too

- Malarial risk

- Fairly windy

- Upon reaching our base location, we'll be pitched for about 2-3 weeks

To me this seems like a rather tricky setup, then!

I wanted to ask what you guys might recommend as a good shelter system to best handle the above factors?

Researching last night, I got the impression that perhaps a Kelty Noah 16 combined with individual Integral Design Bugabivy bags underneath might do the job? On the other hand, might we not better go for individual Noah 9s or 12s each around a fire (sensible distance .. !) with the female expedition member in something like an Outdoor Research Light Haven with BugaBivy bags underneath?

Interested to hear all opinions, including ones that scrap all my suggestions above!!

EDIT: Also, any sleeping back recommendations would be top, thanks!

Cheers,

Herrje

#148862 - 04/04/11 11:14 AM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: herrje]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Sounds interesting! How will you reach base camp? If you are not backpacking in to base, I would disregard weight considerations, and get a tough, stout,tent with good mosquito-proofing and netting.

I have lots of desert experience, but fortunately in non malarial regions.

#148863 - 04/04/11 11:42 AM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: oldranger]
herrje Offline

Thanks for the reply!

We'll be going by camel for about a week/10 days to the base camp. Any particular recommendations for a suitable tent?

#148865 - 04/04/11 11:57 AM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: herrje]
lori Offline

If it is also going to be hot and sunny, and since there is no weight restriction, I would add a tyvek tarp to the setup, since nylon will be no real shade provider - it gets very hot even under an open nylon tarp. Tyvek won't be ideal rain protection but will reflect sun and provide shade.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#148866 - 04/04/11 12:27 PM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: lori]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
+1 on the TYVEK tarp. That is all I use to hike the Grand Canyon.

#148878 - 04/04/11 03:39 PM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: ringtail]
frediver Offline

For real shade/cooling you need 2 roofs with min of 12" between to provide a convection air current between the two. Put your favorite flavor of tent under this shelter. I would select
a tent over bivi bag.

#148888 - 04/04/11 08:24 PM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: herrje]
oldranger Offline

Just a couple of comments. I have equipped working groups with tents for extended trips, although not in any locales nearly as exotic as yours. First, what is in use in that area, either by the locals or by other groups? Their experience would certainly be useful.

Secondly, I would buy a tent that will assure each expedition member privacy for the trip. That will really help overall group morale and productivity. Get something that can take the wind, obviously.

I have no experience in Africa, southwestern deserts only, but I'll bet the temperatures take a dip during the night and can be quite cool during the early morning. I would suspect that very little time will be spent in the tents during the hotter daylight hours (this depends upon your work schedule and objectives, obviously). Along with private space you need communal space - typically, the dining/work area. Here I would imagine you definitely want things breezy and airy.

Nice that weight need not be a dominating factor. Good sleeping accommodations are second only to food in assuring expedition success. Can you tell us about your work? - certainly sounds interesting and good luck with the malaria.

#148902 - 04/05/11 04:19 AM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: oldranger]
herrje Offline

Thanks for all your help, guys!

It sounds like a Tyvek roof with a Kelty Noah 16, perhaps, underneath and two tents will do just the job.

Here's a pic below of what the locals live in:
[img:left]http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Lpj7Y0R1VtQ/s[/img]

We're going out to the Afar region of Ethiopia to an Afar community to document nomadic pastoral lifestyle in light of climate change and urbanisation pressures. Having set up the base camp, we'll spend most of the days in the field and then come back towards the evening to make use of communal expedition space before returning to our tents.

I suppose, then, we'd use the tents for the initial hike to establish base camp and then set up the tarps and Tyvek covers over that.

Sorry to be a bore but might you have any specific suggestions for an appropriate tent? Almost all of my expedition experience is in mountainous regions and though there will be a couple of locals on the expedition, I'm trying to get as familiar as I can with the environment! On that note, are there any desert-specific resources/books out there you might recommend to give a brief taster on desert travel/field work? Have scoured the net myself and found one or two but nothing too substantial!

Thanks again!

Here's a better picture of one constructed in someone's garden:

Edited by herrje (04/05/11 04:22 AM)

#148903 - 04/05/11 06:43 AM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: herrje]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
depending on just how much space you need , you could take a look at the Tarptent Sublite . (1 person shelter...)

That is made with cloth type Tyvek so it breathes well , offers good sun protection and it can handle moderate rain too. (not storms...)
Works well with trekking poles (135cm and longer) but you can also get dedicated 5oz poles.
In the sun the temperature inside it is the same as the temp in full shade .
http://www.tarptent.com/sublite.html#specs
BTW, works really well in humid areas too.
Franco
franco@tarptent.com

#148907 - 04/05/11 11:08 AM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: herrje]
oldranger Offline

I would follow the local style and get a freestanding dome that is nominally for two or even three occupants. Everyone has their own tent and will appreciate the extra space over the course of your expedition.

I would check with potential sellers and see if they would consider any sort of discount, perhaps in return for an endorsement. REI offers commercial terms,I believe.

The Kelty Salida looks good - attractive price, roomy, and backpackable, if necessary, although not ultralight. Kelty is an established company with a good reputation. There are lots of other good options in this category.

Get an extra pole set while you are at it and stock lots of line. It will come in handy. Perhaps even some straight aluminum poles for impromptu rigging of the tarps, as well as a few stakes, although those can probably be improvised in the field.

I understand the rainy season is somewhat cooler- I couldn't find anything about the minimum temps, but they would be crucial for the proper sleeping bags.

For bags, I would select synthetic fill, mummy or semi-rectangular of the proper temperature rating. I wouldn't go ultralight for this application, but get something reasonably light - three pounds or so, so that they could be backpacked if necessary.

If possible, I would consult with the expedition members and incorporate their preferences - that is likely to payoff in the end.

Need anyone to search for old fossils? Being one myself, I know just what to look for.....

#148908 - 04/05/11 12:22 PM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: herrje]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
herrje,

I have no experience in N. Africa, but do have experience in the Rhub Al Khali ("The Empty Quarter"). Most of this is in Saudi, but I was in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Suspect desert conditions would be somewhat similar.

First thing, the nights got really, really cold (minus ten or fifteen c), so I would not scrimp on sleeping gear.

Second point. In late afternoon and evening, wind would smooth out the sand (blowing it into unsealed tents, etc.) and leaving it perfectly unmarked. But in the morning, the surface around the tents would be covered with the tracks of scorpions and the tiny desert foxes that hunt them. Was very glad to have solid, tight-sealing tent.

Like you I did not have to carry it (Ancient Landrover with half-flat tires). Hope that helps. Best, jcp

#148953 - 04/06/11 05:56 PM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: JPete]
herrje Offline

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all your replies- they've been most useful! As it turns out, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for the US so will be sure to bare all of this in mind when in the stores over there. Will try to follow up with progress!

Thanks again,

Herrje

#149172 - 04/12/11 11:12 PM Re: Shelter in desert? Rain, sun and mozzies! [Re: herrje]
skinewmexico Offline

Franco beat me to it. My Sublite is great in the heat.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum