Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#149133 - 04/11/11 11:06 PM Hammock
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I am curious about the ENO hammock system, if you get one of the ENO original or doublenest hammock, does it has a cover for keeping bugs off or do you have to buy the bug screen separate? I saw a guy on the AT this past weekend with one set up with a tarp above it. I thought it was neatest thing, but I didn't notice any flap to cover up the person sleeping in it. With proper tarp, does anyone have any problem getting wet during bad weather? I'd like to rent one for an overnight trip just to see what it's like.

#149135 - 04/12/11 12:33 AM Re: Hammock [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

ENO has decent hammocks - not too many ways you can wreck a sheet of nylon, tho some would argue whipping methods matter.

What is not ideal are the straps - they give you nylon, which stretches and keeps stretching. And their tarps aren't exactly ideal. A good rectangular or cat cut tarp like the MacCats, or the Hex tarp Hennessy makes (not the stock tarp) gives you sufficient coverage for stormy weather.

I think ENO has bugnetting, but you could also get a bugnet separately from Warbonnet, or a couple of other cottage gear makers who cater to hammock users. Bugnets are a separate item with ENO hammocks.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#149139 - 04/12/11 07:02 AM Re: Hammock [Re: ETSU Pride]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Go over to the hammock forum and tell them you are curious. Likely a member will give you a test ride.

I am willing to give anyone in the Denver area a test ride in a WarBonnet BlackBird.

#149145 - 04/12/11 10:46 AM Re: Hammock [Re: ETSU Pride]
Joshuatree Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Eno hammocks don't come with a bugnetting or a tarp both have to be bought seperately. From what I've heard and read you don't want to use the stock suspension system because the nylon straps stretch to much. You'll also need some type of insulation if the night time temps get much below 70. A foam sleeping pad works well enough with a regular sleeping bag. There is a learning curve with setting up both the hammock and tarp so if you try one take time to set it up and sleep in it before you go out. If you snoop around over at hammockforums.net you'll see people use them all year round in all weather conditions and you can pick up some good tips.

#149201 - 04/13/11 07:48 PM Re: Hammock [Re: ETSU Pride]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I was on AT Last week too a guy at Silers Bald shelter had a Eno tricked out. Tech nines on the fly cords,Black sil cat tarp etc. He had a bug net but didnt need it that night. My son Has a Eno as well. The eno requires alot of accessorys. Bye the time ya buy a light sil tarp and a bug net etc. etc. I think you have more than the cost of a Hennessy, which i have. I am very happy with my Hennessy!

#149207 - 04/13/11 10:34 PM Re: Hammock [Re: Kent W]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By Kent W
I was on AT Last week too a guy at Silers Bald shelter had a Eno tricked out. Tech nines on the fly cords,Black sil cat tarp etc. He had a bug net but didnt need it that night. My son Has a Eno as well. The eno requires alot of accessorys. Bye the time ya buy a light sil tarp and a bug net etc. etc. I think you have more than the cost of a Hennessy, which i have. I am very happy with my Hennessy!

Silers Bald? You were in the Smoky Mountain? I live near it. haha.

#149376 - 04/19/11 10:00 AM Re: Hammock [Re: Kent W]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Originally Posted By Kent W
The eno requires alot of accessorys. Bye the time ya buy a light sil tarp and a bug net etc. etc. I think you have more than the cost of a Hennessy, which i have. I am very happy with my Hennessy!

My thoughts on the matter as well.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum