Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148696 - 03/31/11 11:36 PM JMT 2011 Weather
smith70 Offline

Does anyone know the impact that this year's heavy snowfall will have on hiking the John Muir trail in July or August? I've been told that the biggest concern would be stream crossings, which could be more difficult because of more snow melt. I'm trying to get a better sense of the conditions before committing to a trip scheduled for the first couple weeks of August. Thanks

#148698 - 03/31/11 11:42 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: smith70]
lori Offline

TSTT (too soon to tell) what things will be like in July...

But I'm thinking by August that the high runoff will have abated quite a lot. And the crossings on the JMT that are of concern later in summer have bridges over them.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#148701 - 04/01/11 12:07 AM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: smith70]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Yup, later will be safer than early and there's simply no way to know. Snowpacks are over 200% of average in some basins.

A hot summer will clear most out; a mild summer means a lot of snow will linger until next winter. I'll guess the north slopes of the higher JMT passes will have snow through the season, but they'll get heavy travel too.

I feel sorry for NOBO PCT thruhikers!

Cheers,

#148702 - 04/01/11 12:11 AM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: Rick_D]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
For sure the heavy Sierra snows will affect NOBOs on the PCT this year, but think of the fiendish bragging rights they'll acquire if they make it all the way to Manning in such a tough year.

#148806 - 04/03/11 01:43 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: aimless]
Katie Offline

We are doing the JMT July-August. Our very experienced friend (has completed the JMT 7x) who we're going with told us that we should be prepared for cold nights (insulated jacket is a good idea), mild days, snow on passes (but won't need crampons because the PCTers will be trudging through it 2-3 weeks before us), and high water stream crossings. Main thing being cold nights!

#148808 - 04/03/11 01:51 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: Katie]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
In mid to late June the NOBOers doing thru-hikes this year will be postholing a much larger percentage of the day's mileage than would be true in more 'normal' years. That will be a physical challenge. Sadly for them, this mega-snow situation is not confined to the Sierras. All the western mountains seem to have well-above-average snows.

btw, have a great time on the JMT!

#149058 - 04/08/11 10:44 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: smith70]
smith70 Offline

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I'll try to post any weather updates if I find them.

#149071 - 04/09/11 01:35 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: smith70]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Although this heavy snow year presents a challenge, one has to keep in mind that it presents an opportunity as well. It will be up to each person to determine what that is for themselves. In the 60's, 70's, and even 80's there was typically much more snow in the passes at the end of August than a typical year now. I will grant you that it was much more compacted in general. As for me, my end of July off trail trip above Sierra Nevada treeline is on; I'm just probably bringing gear I haven't brought in a while. Give yourself extra time to negotiate hazards safely; have backup campsites just in case. It's all stuff you already know.

Edited by skcreidc (04/09/11 01:37 PM)

#149313 - 04/16/11 09:25 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: skcreidc]
Ulhiker Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Early indications are that the snow water content is close to that of 1993. A lot more than last year, which was a pretty tough year.
One thing's for sure, the mosquitoes are probably going to be around until September, from the looks of things. LOL!!

#149321 - 04/17/11 01:10 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: Ulhiker]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Early to mid-July will be affected- higher water. Because of this I think permits will be hard to get in August and Sept because everyone will be delaying or cancelling early plans. I bet there will be permits available, even on a first-come basis in June and early July. The temperatures the next two months will have more to do with conditions than the depth of snowpack right now. Snow is predicted all this week above 8,000 feet!

#149495 - 04/22/11 05:14 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: wandering_daisy]
Jeff Offline

Loc: Nevada
For those going in late July or early August, there will be bugs. Late snow melt off will provide for a lot of mosquitos. I have been out the first week of August after a heavy snow year and had to wear the bug net all day long while hiking. There won't be any problems with dried of streams. This would be a great year for a late August, early September JMT trip.

#149530 - 04/23/11 05:29 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: Jeff]
Ulhiker Offline

Loc: Arkansas
I start my trip at Tuolumne Meadows on August 15. Hopefully, the bugs will have died out by then, but I doubt it.

#151146 - 06/06/11 03:37 AM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: Jeff]
smith70 Offline

Do you think river/stream crossings will prove particularly challenging because of the heavy snow melt?

#151156 - 06/06/11 12:51 PM Re: JMT 2011 Weather [Re: smith70]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I did the JMT in late July/early August 2006. That was a wet year but not nearly as wet as this year. All the high passes had snow but it wasn't really a big problem. Muir Pass was probably the worst. There was enough snow to do a standing glissade down part of the north side. Many folks were carrying axes and 'pons but they were not needed.

The real issue, as mentioned above, was the stream crossings. They were deep, cold and frequent. Some were a little dangerous. I went S-N and my feet were wet all day every day until Donohue Pass. There were just too many crossings to take my shoes off every time so I just lived with wet feet. On several mornings I had to put on wet shoes when I started for the day. The good news was, I never had to carry more than a quart of water at a time.

And yes, the mossies were out in force. I always has a litlle extra protein in my oatmeal frown

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum