Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148327 - 03/25/11 11:04 AM looking for reliable tents
tonyweb Offline

During summer, I love to go camping in Colorado, this year we plan on going with the family to the Pawnee National Grassland and then move to to the San Juan National Forest.
I have to change my tent equipment my 2 kids (9 and 11). They like to have their own tent, yes they are not afraid of nature, I think it's a good way for them to grow up and be autonomous.
I am looking for reliable tents, also as I like my kids to manage themselves, I was looking for easy tents to set up.
Do you think these pop up tents are reliable enough.
http://www.campingroadtrip.com/outdoor-living-newsletter-august-2010/pop-up-camping-tents
I have never seen any before so I was hoping on your feedbacks!

thanks

Edited by tonyweb (03/25/11 11:06 AM)

#148329 - 03/25/11 11:35 AM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: tonyweb]
lori Offline

I don't think a pop up tent would be terribly reliable - I think after some amount of use they probably wouldn't pop very well. And all I can think about is the frustration I've had with some windshield shades that supposedly fold down easily! I would also be curious how likely they are to become a kite in the process of popping up... hmmm, where is that youtube video of tents flying around?

If you do try the pop up tents you'll have to come back and give us a review of how they worked for you.

Not sure what you mean by "reliable" - perhaps you could be more specific in what you're looking for? Maybe you mean durable or rainproof?

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#148333 - 03/25/11 12:28 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: tonyweb]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
There are a lot of "normal" tents that are easy to set up. I teach scouts (11-18 yr old) how to set up different types of tents. You would be surprised how quickly they learn. At first I have to help them, but they catch on fast. Of course, we don't have those big jig saw puzzle/color coded pole connection/if you lose the instructions you are screwed tents. Any dome tent or A-frame or other simple tent design will be very easy for young kids to set up.

#148334 - 03/25/11 12:35 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: tonyweb]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I would be dubious about a pop up tent. If you are car camping, weight probably isn't a dominant concern, which it is for many of us who frequent this forum.

I would go with a nice roomy two pole arch style tent. Ones with aluminum poles are more expensive, but are more durable. However, I was impressed with the way in which the fiberglass poled model have for car camping weathered a violent thunderstorm in Zion.

And they are not that hard to set up. Practice once or twice before you start out.

#148342 - 03/25/11 01:43 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: tonyweb]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I agree with the others. These types of tents are good for the cool/neat factor; they are not particularly great tents. I don't know of any serious camper that uses one.

If you are trying to teach self reliance, actually having a tent they have to learn how to setup is a great way of doing that. I would look for a 3-person dome tent.

I would avoid tents with poles that cross multiple times or at weird locations. My REI Taj 3 tent isn't difficult to setup, but I have never seen anyone do it right on there first try. I have a Kelty and an old Eureka that are much easier. They are more classic dome style tents and there is no reason a 9 and an 11 y.o. couldn't learn how to set it up.

#148356 - 03/25/11 05:35 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: BZH]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My 9 and 11 year-old grandkids have learned to set up the Tarptent Rainshadow 2 (three-person) and the Tarptent Squall 2 (two-person). Pics on Tarptent website.

I watched the video by Franco (who posts on this site) on setting up the Rainshadow (the Squall is exactly the same but smaller), and discovered I've been doing it wrong all these years! The way Franco does it (stake out the front corners before doing the front poles and center front guyline) makes for a much better pitch! The kids watched the video once and then set it up in the back yard all by themselves!

Nice light tents; the Squall 2 is 34 oz. or 36 oz. if you don't use trekking poles. They are amazingly durable--I have had kids and my 80-lb. dog run full-tilt through the guy ropes without any damage.

#148382 - 03/25/11 09:39 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: OregonMouse]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I'd add one other warning--those pop-up tents do not handle wind well. And if you are camping where there might be an afternoon thunderstorm or two, you'll want something sturdier.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#148389 - 03/25/11 10:54 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: balzaccom]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Kids are rough on tents. I would get one that does not have mosquito netting all the way down to the floor. Get a tent that has regular nylon at least half way up from the floor- it is a lot tougher than netting. Kids are hard on zippers too and do not have the patience to be careful when using. This is a matter of looking at the sewing - make sure there are not flaps and other material that can catch in the zippers.

Have you thought about hammocks? All kids love hammocks.

#148398 - 03/26/11 12:47 AM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: wandering_daisy]
intrek38 Offline

Loc: Hesperia, Calif
You could try one of those old pup tents or a simple dome tent. Most kids can figure out more things better then most adult, unless they happen to be like us.

Those pop up tents can be dangerous..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12FxbosycC0

#148399 - 03/26/11 03:06 AM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: tonyweb]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I have one of those pop up tents. It was a gift.

Mine broke. One of the metal hoops snapped after only a few open/close cycles. I don't call that reliable.

In all fairness there is more than one brand out there and mine may not be the same as yours. Or maybe mine was simply defective.

These tents are not suitable for backpacking even when they do not break. You did not specify whether you will be car camping or backpacking.

One pole tepee type tents are reliable, roomy and easy to set up.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#148434 - 03/26/11 09:34 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: Trailrunner]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
This tent does not appear to have a rain fly and the door is slanted so that if it rains, you will get the interior wet getting in and out of it-a basic design flaw regardless of the quality. This is not a backpacking tent at all from what I can see from the video and another thing-this tent has no structural integrity at all-the frame holds the shape, but is essentially a big loop, not a rigid frame like a pair of crossed poles. My guess is that this thing would come apart in a high wind because of the shape and lack of poles to give it some tension and rigidity.

Look at our various sponsors' websites-links on the left side of the page. They sell many different types, so you can compare them. For two kids, I would look at something like this one from REI-two doors and vestibules and easy to put up-
http://www.rei.com/product/810115

REI guarantees everything it sells and will take back almost anything for almost any reason.

Edited by TomD (03/26/11 09:46 PM)

#148456 - 03/27/11 11:41 AM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I haven't followed this thread very closely, so take this as one of those "brainstorming" thoughts - it just popped into my mind, and I'm throwing it out with no further thought.

It's true that kids are tough on gear. So, if that's a consideration for reliable tents, would a tarp be a viable choice? No zippers, no mesh, no poles to snap; simplicity itself.

Just a random thought.

#148460 - 03/27/11 12:36 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: Glenn]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
I like tarps but the lack of bug protection can be an issue. Also, tarps are much more fiddley to set up.

#148462 - 03/27/11 12:50 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: Howie]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Howie
I like tarps but the lack of bug protection can be an issue. Also, tarps are much more fiddley to set up.

LOL. Was just reading a crashing huge thread on another forum arguing this point.

When I was a kid we were broke - we used a blue tarp. Heavy as heck, but easy enough to string up by weighting one end and using a couple of sturdy sticks we found to put through the grommets and prop up one side.

Tying up a rope between two trees and throwing the tarp over, tying out with stakes and guy lines, is also not rocket science.

It's all a great adventure. As a kid I didn't give a fig about bugs - in fact, finding the big gnarly bugs under rocks was kind of cool. I was probably the most mosquito bitten girl in the wilderness but I didn't care about that either. Slept like a rock on the ground when our cheap air mattresses leaked - still did not care. I wish I were still that easy to please! Backpacking would be a lot cheaper.

#148481 - 03/27/11 04:57 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By lori

As a kid I didn't give a fig about bugs - in fact, finding the big gnarly bugs under rocks was kind of cool. I was probably the most mosquito bitten girl in the wilderness but I didn't care about that either.

Yeah, well, Howie's in kamloops - and where I am up here as well there's nothing that'll turn a kid off of backpacking quicker than an inablility to escape from the vicious rocky mountain hordes... There are times it isn't going to matter but a lot of times when if very much will..

Lots of places I'd take kids with just a tarp. but lots that I wouldn't. and it would depend on the kid.
Browse my pictures

#148494 - 03/27/11 09:16 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: phat]
Howie Offline

Last year we took a trip to Saskatchewan. There had been a lot of flooding that year and I have never seen so many mosquitos. They were unbearable. Sask is bad for mosquitos to begin with but that was even worse. I felt sorry for my dog. They must have driven him crazy.

I have a picture of me clowning around, covered in mosquito netting from head to toe with an electronic bug zapper racquet in my hand. lol.

Howie

#148496 - 03/27/11 09:40 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: Howie]
lori Offline

I have a picture of me clowning around, covered in mosquito netting from head to toe with an electronic bug zapper racquet in my hand. lol.

Howie

And you didn't post it for us? tsk. smile

#148505 - 03/27/11 11:47 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: lori]
Howie Offline

Giving it a try.

Attachments
bugman2.jpg

#148512 - 03/28/11 05:33 AM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: tonyweb]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Tonyweb

Others have talked about why what you're talking about probably won't work - it might, but it doesn't look like a good way to bet - so let’s talk about what might work instead.

Tarptent (already suggested by OregonMouse) is probably the current leading light/reliable manufacturer. You pay for their product, but it's light if you and your kids have to load the tent on your collective back and walk. 6 Moon Designs is also in the group of specialty manufacturers. Think $200-$400 tents, but a tent that will weigh about 1lb/person. If you are backpacking, this is probably the way to go if you have the money.

Kelty, Eureka, REI, Mountainsmith, MSR, etc occupy the next tier of tent makers – those who deal in mass production. These tents tend to be a little heavier, and can be gotten for cheaper. A two man tent in this range will weigh about 5lbs. A four man tent will be 8lbs+. Cost will range from $50 for a cheap Eureka Tent (on sale) to about $250. VIGOROUSLY SEAM SEAL any Eureka product. If you are family camping and sometimes backpacking, this is where you are probably at. I spent 30-60 nights/year in a Eureka Timberline 4 in my scouting days – good times.

Coleman Tents are the lowest cost tent that keeps water out. If you are casually car camping, these are decent tents. I avoided Coleman tents until I slept in one new out of the box (with the Scout troop in Hawaii – and it RAINS there) – and stayed dry. $50 for a 2 or 4 man tent.

I’m a tent snob, so I recommend avoiding Wenzel and other big box/Kmart products – unless you are bringing a big blue tarp to cover them to keep water out.

Speaking of the big blue tarp – it works, it’s cheap – but as pointed out before, it won’t keep out the bugs if you are going in bug season. If you lack funds, this will work and get you out. And if the boys shred it, it was only $10. I recommend this over the Kmart tent.

Any way you go, remember that physics matters. Big flat areas on the tops of tents are not a good idea, no matter who makes the tent – because you will get wet. Seams are holes in the tent, and must be plugged – or you will get wet. Windows need overhanging tarps to protect them – or you will get wet.

I’ve gotten wet a lot, and have vivid memories of a Eureka Tetragon 11 leaking on my honeymoon because I didn’t seam seal it first as I was impatient to get out with my new wife. NEVER AGAIN wink.

Welcome to the forum. Have fun with your boys.

#148519 - 03/28/11 09:35 AM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: Howie]
GDeadphans Offline

Loc: Maine/New Jersey
Giving it a try.

Hahaha, nice. Go get em!

#148525 - 03/28/11 10:46 AM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: Howie]
lori Offline

Giving it a try.

Got out the magnifying glass...

HA! awesome. goodjob

#148557 - 03/28/11 11:02 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: Steadman]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
goodjob

Well put Steadman. Except for the "never again" part. That is open to interpretation. wink

Edited by TomD (03/28/11 11:04 PM)

#148576 - 03/29/11 03:31 PM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: TomD]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Well, at least not with THAT tent. I just dismembered it for parts. laugh The Sunrise 11 that replaced it was vigorously seam sealed.

#149019 - 04/08/11 10:49 AM Re: looking for reliable tents [Re: Trailrunner]
tonyweb Offline

thanks everyone, this has helped, I decided to get another tent more reliable. those pop up tents cant really bear rain.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum