Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148188 - 03/23/11 04:47 PM Some Sizing Help Needed
Masonite Offline

I'm a 6'2", 21 year old male who is new to the backpacking community. I just bought a pack at an REI used gear sale but the fit seems a little off. It's a Medium Osprey Atmos 65. My torso length is 20.5" and the hip strap is about two inches too high and wants to ride up to my waist. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make up the extra two inches (the straps that pull the shoulder straps up to give more torso length are at maximum)? If I'm out of luck there, are there any backpacks that would fit my frame better. I'm really thin.

#148191 - 03/23/11 05:17 PM Re: Some Sizing Help Needed [Re: Masonite]
lori Offline

You need a better fitting pack. Fixed frame packs like that one either fit or they do not - there's not a lot to do about it. Suggest you sell that one second hand on a forum or craigslist and go try on some packs that will actually fit you.

You could try a large Atmos if you otherwise like the pack. It might work well for you.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#148198 - 03/23/11 08:55 PM Re: Some Sizing Help Needed [Re: lori]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Lori is right. You need a large not a medium!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#148205 - 03/23/11 10:03 PM Re: Some Sizing Help Needed [Re: balzaccom]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I suggest if you are established ebayer with good feedback. Sell pack on ebay and buy one that fits. They are correct you have a long torso. You may get more than you paid on ebay quality gear sells at great prices! Good luck

#148207 - 03/23/11 10:31 PM Re: Some Sizing Help Needed [Re: balzaccom]
lori Offline

And if the large is not quite right either... you may want a pack with adjustable harness. Packs like the Granite Gear Nimbus series will be light, but also adjustable in inch increments. Aarn packs are also incredibly adjustable in just about every way possible. Some Deuter packs and the heavier models of Gregory and Osprey will also adjust somewhat. But those "ultralight" (they are not really so light as they want you to think) Osprey packs are impossible for some people. I wanted to like one that I bought and could not wear it without back pain. With no way to swap the hip belt or adjust the back frame, I had to find another pack. It turns out I am on the long side of short and the short end of regular sizes... most regular/medium packs will sort of fit, some small size in other brands will sort of fit... I have the best luck with a pack that will allow me to set the shoulder harness by increments.

#148220 - 03/23/11 11:55 PM Re: Some Sizing Help Needed [Re: Kent W]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

+1 on that my friend - it's a good pack - it's just the wrong size for you. if you bought pants two sizes too small they'd suck too.

Flog it on ebay (or maybe someone here wants it) and get a long.

Browse my pictures

#148273 - 03/24/11 05:10 PM Re: Some Sizing Help Needed [Re: phat]
Joshuatree Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Trips on the selling or trading it for a large I know a couple of the other backpacker forums have large sized Osprey packs come up quite often and it seems like all of them are gently used. You might get lucky and find someone with a Large that needs a size smaller.

#148404 - 03/26/11 09:43 AM Re: Some Sizing Help Needed [Re: Joshuatree]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Depending where you live be carefull where you get measureared for a pack as well. My son lives close to a Chicagoland REI. I told him to go there and get measured so I could make him a G4 improved! He went a week or so ago and they said wait a bit there is only one person that works here that knows how! The girl that suposedly could read a tape measured him and said his torso was 16 inches and he needs a small! He is 5 11 like me and built like me. I said no way have Mom Measure you :she is radiologost tech knows her bones! So next timehe is out we do. His torso is 19 and a half like me! I know of no small pack that fits 19 and half inch torso! This is pityfull coming from a REI store. I told him he should write a letter to REI corp!

#148409 - 03/26/11 11:22 AM Re: Some Sizing Help Needed [Re: Kent W]
lori Offline

Four different people measured me in stores. Depending on who I asked, I was anywhere from 18-22 inches back size.

Followed the directions at McHale's website to measure my own size - turns out I am a firm 16.5" back size. This appears to be the "real" measurement as packs bought to this spec actually fit me without turning my back into a huge bruise or feeling off balance.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum