Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148149 - 03/22/11 06:46 PM sleeping bag/quilt advice
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I keep talking myself in circles on this and am wondering if I can get some recommendations.

I am a heftier guy (5'10"/265lbs) and am looking for a new sleeping bag or quilt for summer backpacking trips in the high sierra's. It generally stays well above 40° at night, but the possibility of unseasonably cold weather even snow is their. I am a back and side sleeper and tend to toss around a bit at night.

I was eying up a Big Agnes Zirkel and then getting the wedgie expander if I needed more room in the shoulders, but have been reading about how you cannot pull your feet up (in the fetal position) with a BA. Now I'm thinking being attached to my sleeping pad might not be the best idea. Another question would be if I should get a long or regular bag. My height puts me at the top end of the regulars. I know its not a good ideal to have lots of room around your feet, but the tall bags seem to have much more room in the shoulders.

A quilt intrigues me, but I'm not sure it would work well for me if I toss and turn at night. I have Jacksrbetter.com bookmarked but since I've never seen anyone use a quilt, I am having a hard time understanding the in and outs.

Ideally I would like to get something at REI with my dividend but I seem to be finding better stuff at other sites.

#148150 - 03/22/11 07:18 PM Re: sleeping bag/quilt advice [Re: BZH]
lori Offline

If you are interested in quilts call the Jacks and talk to them. They will provide insight. From what you say here, if you go quilt, one of their larger models would probably be best.

I toss and turn, and that is part of why I love my quilts. When I toss and the quilt shifts open, I wake and re-tuck it, instead of having a claustrophic panic episode when the mummy bag gets twisted up around me.

You have very different experiences in summer in Sierra than I do - I have never been sorry to be carrying a 20F setup.

Part of the equation is always the pad - if I have a nice comfy pad beneath I toss and turn less. (If I am in my hammock, I toss around very little at all.) The more comfortable I am, the less I move around in my sleep. Which is why I have a NeoAir and have eyeballed the Expeds - but the Neo is much, much lighter and adequate for me.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#148151 - 03/22/11 07:35 PM Re: sleeping bag/quilt advice [Re: lori]
BZH Offline

Thanks for the info.

Yeah maybe I was being a bit generous with the "well above 40°" comment. I am targeting a 20-30°F bag.

#148152 - 03/22/11 08:25 PM Re: sleeping bag/quilt advice [Re: BZH]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I'm pretty much the same size as you, and I often, but not always, get the long bag - it really depends on the fit of the bag.

I sleep much like you describe.

I do most of my backpacking with three bags:

1) an MEC cygnet barrel bag - comfy, and was my colder weather bag - its a regular, reasonably light, down, inexpensive. I've recently replaced this with a Western Mountaineering versalite. - the cygnet was a regular, WM bag is a long.

2) an MEC merlin down mummy, rated -3C - (25f?) which I usually use quilt style - i.e. only the footbox zipped up. I can use this as a bag if it's really cold, but it's tight on me, so I tend not to - I use this as a quilt - this bag is also a long.

Really? try them on. people will tell you all sorts of stuff, but it's like boots. if it feels better to you, it's gonna be better to you.

Browse my pictures

#148184 - 03/23/11 03:47 PM Re: sleeping bag/quilt advice [Re: phat]
BZH Offline

Thanks for reply! Its great to hear from someone with a similar fit. Did you leave #3 off your list?

Originally Posted By phat

Really? try them on. people will tell you all sorts of stuff, but it's like boots. if it feels better to you, it's gonna be better to you.

Yeah, I may end up doing that, but that will limit me to what REI has in stock at the local store. I've been thinking I would like to try out one of these small specialized manufacturers. I see options that I *think* would work better for me.

Edited by BZH (03/23/11 03:47 PM)

#148185 - 03/23/11 04:03 PM Re: sleeping bag/quilt advice [Re: BZH]
lori Offline

Look for stores that carry Western Mountaineering and Montbell - there's one in Santa Cruz, for example. Chances are good they will also have other gear that is NOT at REI to try.

California is lousy with backpacking gear places that aren't REI. Like this one - http://www.adventure16.com/content.asp?itemid=10

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#148219 - 03/23/11 11:44 PM Re: sleeping bag/quilt advice [Re: BZH]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
[quote=BZH]Thanks for reply! Its great to hear from someone with a similar fit. Did you leave #3 off your list?
[quote=phat]

Not really, I was counting the Cygnet and the Versalite as two bags smile OTOH the versalite is new (but I love the fit on it)

if you wanna get techical I also use an MEC emperor penguin overbag (in awful cold weather), a cheap Walmart square polyfill bag (overtop of my good down bag in REALLY awful cold weather) and I also own an exped wallcreeper pl (which is nice, but a bit heavy compared to my down bags for it's warmth - it gets used sometimes as a pseudo hammock underquilt).

If you can find a place to try on a WM versalite, and you can afford it, I'm betting you'll like it in long. but try other bags too. a really good sleeping bag, well taken care of is an investment that you can pretty much cheap out on everything else..
Browse my pictures

#148240 - 03/24/11 12:08 PM Re: sleeping bag/quilt advice [Re: phat]
BZH Offline

Originally Posted By phat
a really good sleeping bag, well taken care of is an investment ...

I definitely know that. The bag I am replacing is my father's 30 y.o. bag from REI. It still works great but it weighs over 5 lbs and is a bit of an overkill for where I am going.

Thanks for the Western Mountaineering suggestion. The Versalite looks great but a little warmer than I am looking for. However, the Alpinlite and Megalite are in the 20-30°F range. It looks like lori's suggestion of Adv. 16 carries WM.

Also, I emailed JacksRBetter he recommended the Sierra Sniveler Long with wings or the Mt. Rogers. The Mt. Rogers ends up being a little cheaper and more roomy.

Edited by BZH (03/24/11 12:19 PM)

#148324 - 03/25/11 10:29 AM Re: sleeping bag/quilt advice [Re: BZH]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
I've used a quilt and don't mind them if it's above 50F.

I have the Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 (800 down, 30F, 21 oz). I really like the comfort, but haven't overnighted with it yet. It's nice because you can have the freedom of a quilt with the draft protection of a bag. And, it works great as a quilt when unzipped.

I hear these are rated a little optimistic, so get the #1 (15F) for 20F temps.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum